Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a huge Dave Ramsey fan and I have completed his first three baby steps. So about a year ago, I started investing for the first time in my life. I went to the Dave Ramsey website and got matched up with a smartvester investment pro who is very highly endorsed by Dave Ramsey. I made an initial investment of about $10,000. For the past year I have been depositing $1,000 per month into my investment accounts. So I've invested a grand total of $23,000 since I started a year ago. But every time that I log into my account, I see that I'm losing more and more money. Up until about a month ago, my total account value was about $21,000 which means that I was down a total of $2,000 since I started a year ago. Today I logged into my account and it says that I only have about $17,000 which means that I'm now down almost $6,000 since I started. Whenever I contact my investment pro, he always reassures me that I just need to be patient, and that everything will be fine. I know that he is very highly endorsed by Dave Ramsey as one of the best investment pros in the country, but I'm really freaking out here, and I don't know what to do! I don't know if its his fault that I'm losing money or if it is just a rough time for the stock market. Is everybody else having this same problem right now? Should I find a different investment pro? Or should I just be patient and keep doing what I'm doing until the market corrects itself? Or should I cut back my monthly investments until the market gets better? I'm still kinda new to this whole investing thing so I have no idea what to do in a situation like this, and I'm not sure if I should continue trusting the advice of my investment pro. Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
You should know that Dave Ramsey sells endorsements for profit. It's a money making gig for him to allow other people to use his name in their business advertising.

Do you know what stocks you are invested in? How are they doing? Do you know what fees your "investment pro" is taking each month?

My husband manages his own investments, and we make over 10% per month. There's a lot of homework involved in reading and researching businesses and markets. Your "pro" should at least be keeping you in the positive range to earn his fees.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
To clarify, on investments that pay monthly dividends we make 10%+. That is not the whole of our portfolio, which is, in general, making decent returns at lower (but still positive) rates.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
We were losing a lot of money in our 401K. Dh went in and looked at where his money was invested. Everything was losing money. There was one that hadn't lost any, but a very low % gain. I'd rather have a little bit more than a whole lot less. Investing is bad right now, no matter who you use.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
So overall the stock market is down. If you are down about the same amount the stock market is down, then it is probably nothing fishy going on.

But if the market is down around 12% and your investments are down 25% that is a bad sign.

For normal levels of loss, keeping your investments is sound advice. It is advice that most investment advisors agree with. The market goes up and down. But over the long term it goes up. Selling when stocks are low and buying when they go up again will loose money.

Of course there are not guarantees. The market could go down more. Our economy could crash. But temporary downturns are more likely.

Also, as a general rule of thumb your investment person should have different funds available to choose from. They should talk to you about what level of risk you are comfortable with and make recommendations based on that.

This over simplifies it a little but there are low risk, medium risk and high risk investments. High risk have the potential for higher return. But I don't think any reputable investment person would recommend 100% of your money in high risk funds. Also they are ethically - and legally - required to tell you if you are investing in something high risk.

It seems to me that with those type of losses they are either cheating you out of money or investing in something high risk.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is terrible, sorry to ear that. But it's normal for now that you are bleeding money. Because the stock market is doing very bad.
I don't know that product,
everything is fine with Ramsey except 2 thing, his investment advice and the fact that he push his product into churchs.

You don't seem confortable with what the guy is telling you, just sell it take your $ out.

Right now it's better to stay out of the market all together and wait on the side and watch. Everyone is taking their money of out the market, because times are uncertain. If a lot of people are taking their money out, the stocks are falling. When it will het healthy again for a 3 month straith I would go back in. Then, only then, put your $ into ETF, like SPY as it follow the top 500 best compagny and if one do bad, they take it out, and replace it with a better one. You can do it without paying anyone commision, just open a TD Ameritrade account. ROTH IRA Keep putting your $ into the account up to 6000$ / year, don't buy until like I mentionned.

Right now you are just continue to loose a lot. Stop the stress and sell it all.
I am not a financial adviser. My advises are just for entertainement only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts