Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have worked all of my adult life in the same place. I am ready for a change. My income will go to about half. I'm nervous about that but I am sooo looking forward to getting on with the next chapter of my life.

My real concern is paying for my expensive hobbies....gardening and sewing for my grandchildren. Not sure what I will do for that money yet.

Those of you that are stay at home wives....do you have a rigid schedule to get everything done?

I'm excited about having time to get things done that I have put off forever...cleaning the garage, organizing photos, etc.

My last working day will be Jan 31, 2013

·
Registered
398 Posts
:congrats: I am never bored. Enjoy your retirement!

·
4,028 Posts
That sounds so wonderful. Congratulations!

I was bored when I was stay at home so I started cleaning houses. It is a quick way to make $50 for a few hours (in this region) and might be a way to get your hobby money. :D

·
27,948 Posts
Congratulations! Rigid isn't in the vocabulary, it's doing what needs to be done in a relaxed manner. You'll find a way to do those things you mentioned because you'll have the time to find creative ways to get them done. Maybe you'll get a little of your gardening fix by sharing with others your love of gardening through a community garden perhaps. All kinds of options out there for you. It's time to stop and smell those roses. ;) Enjoy!

Reactions: lisaflex

·
Registered
628 Posts
First of all congratulations :D I hope you enjoy every second of you're retirement.

When it comes to getting organised at home Parkinson's Law applies to me ie "Work expands to fill the time available for it's completion" so I've learned to set goals and tasks for myself - I personally seem to thrive on having routines in place. Not rigid as you never know what life is going to chuck at you but firm guidelines so that I can get done what needs to be done ;)

So here is a rough plan of my day to give you an example:

Morning:
House chores, organise dinner either crockpot or ingreadients for cooking later
Then because we are a 1 car household from 7.30 to 9.30 is spent getting DH and kids to work/school
After that it's animal & garden work

Afternoon:
Lunch
More household chores
From 2 to 4.30 is spent getting kids & DH home(when he's on short days). Homework and dinner started & eaten

Evening:
Wash up after dinner & evening house chores
Evening animal chores
Evening routine with kids & to bed
Study &/or watch tv.

It's just about having an idea of what you would like to achieve that day so to follow that I have a book that I write my tasks into for the day & get great pleasure in crossing them all off :D
Being at home is very like being at work both require being organised so see what skills you have built over the years and apply them to what you want to achieve at home (Bet you have loads you can think of). Good Luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good luck. I did this at 58. I haven't regretted a moment. With my annuity from work the first four years I really had to tighten the old belt until Social Security kicked in at 62. It has still been great fun all the way. I was O.K. without it , but used to spending too much. You will be amazed how being in a lower tax bracket,not having to buy dress clothes for work, using less gas, no expensive lunches can actually make for saving quite a bit. I love it.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
:congrats: On your retirement and do some fun things.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Congrats !!!

The good thing about your hobbies (gardening & sewing) are they are both great money-makers. There are so many people that would like to do both, but have not the time, talent, resources - whatever.

You can grow veggies to sell, barter or just plain eat to keep the food budget down.
Sewed items can be sold - all you have to do is look around and see all the things being sold on Etsy, etc...

I think you will be fine - enjoy every moment of your retirement - you deserve it!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Congratulations!!! I am semi retired and love it! There are many ways to barter for plants or get them free on freecycle as well as fabric. You can also teach basic sewing and get some money that way. As for a schedule, it is pretty lax except for the days that I have clients. As long as I get the house cleaned, dinner made, and laundry done....the rest is mine to spend as I wish!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I concur...teach sewing it is something enjoyable and a good money maker....

·
Registered
316 Posts
congratulations! first thing is to throw out words like rigid and schedule....lol someone else already said that, but i wanted to add my 2 cents. get off the treadmill....do what you want when you want. do a little at a time..no more punching a clock. that is the best part of retirement in my opinion. enjoy....

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
This is an old post..........................but...............

Wanted to say my CONGRATS to you too...............hope you are enjoying your time---since you have already retired by now!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts