Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Christmas eve I found this desk and a side table/cabinet at Goodwill for $11 total. It's an ugly green ( and I love green!) but I'll be painting it and giving it a makeover. I'm using it for my sewing/crafting table. I'm so excited about it and can't wait to give it a make over. It's made out of solid wood too!

I love it!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
great find. Funny, I was looking around my MIL apt and thinking how much I missed moms old sewing cabinet. I just don't love plastic machines that are portible. Plastic tables just aren't for sewing. Bouncy,Bounce.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
On Christmas eve I found this desk and a side table/cabinet at Goodwill for $11 total. It's an ugly green ( and I love green!) but I'll be painting it and giving it a makeover. I'm using it for my sewing/crafting table. I'm so excited about it and can't wait to give it a make over. It's made out of solid wood too!

I love it!
That matches my childhood room. My mom painted the toy cabinet and night stand that green and a blue. When I was older she stripped it and restained the wood. It is a very nice wood piece and my daughter use the night stand today. My son has a desk almost exactly like that one but not painted and has less drawers, it is very sturdy.

Seriously a very nice find.

How are you going to give it a make over?

Reactions: writtenonmybody

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That matches my childhood room. My mom painted the toy cabinet and night stand that green and a blue. When I was older she stripped it and restained the wood. It is a very nice wood piece and my daughter use the night stand today. My son has a desk almost exactly like that one but not painted and has less drawers, it is very sturdy.

Seriously a very nice find.

How are you going to give it a make over?
I'm going to paint it all a glossy white (because I'm doing sewing and crafts I want it to be white so that the colors I work with don't look different because of the background color). I am going to paper the drawers with some sort of design in the inside and mod podge it. and on the drawer knobs I will be putting these on them.... or something similar.

I should take a photo of the side table/cabinet that goes with it. It's like an end table with one drawer and one cabinet area. Such a deal for $11. When I found it I was jumping up and down, it's perfect.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
great find. Funny, I was looking around my MIL apt and thinking how much I missed moms old sewing cabinet. I just don't love plastic machines that are portible. Plastic tables just aren't for sewing. Bouncy,Bounce.
I totally agree, that's why I needed this. I was using a party table for my sewing and it was horrible. I needed something more stable. This desk costed less than that party table. Laugh.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I can't believe you got it for $11. Our S.A. is terribly expensive,St. Vincent Depaul usually has junk,Value Village smells and no GoodWills close.
I may check out Salvation A. tomorrow. All clothes 1/2 price.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't believe you got it for $11. Our S.A. is terribly expensive,St. Vincent Depaul usually has junk,Value Village smells and no GoodWills close.
I may check out Salvation A. tomorrow. All clothes 1/2 price.
I know! It's crazy how cheap it was with a side table! I didn't take a photo of the side table though.

I love thrift shopping, I especially love it when I get to make over things!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can't wait to see the 'after' photo! You will have lots of fun making it over.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Oh yeah. nice find. Only $11 and it will probably last for another 30 or 40 years. They don't make 'em like that anymore. Now you know you have to post pics of the after desk.;)

Cat

·
Registered
328 Posts
I love love love it!! Cant wait to see the make over pictures!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I love it and I would be so excited too!! Great find and price. Can't wait to see the before and after pics. :)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
What a great find!!! I love that color too, it is my favorite.... 50's green. :D

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldn't mind the color if it wasn't on the desk. Laugh. It just doesn't fit what I'm going for with it at all. Laugh. My favorite color is green but this color makes it look horrible to me. Giggle!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts