Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a tea swap on another forum I frequent and I thought it might be fun to do one here- it can be done pretty frugally. (I would actually like to do a chocolate swap, but I think it is way too warm in some areas to do this right now.)

So, is there any interest at all? How the other people did it was to send a bag or two to EACH participant, but it isn't too expensive because you can send a tea bag or two for .39. The idea was to send your favorite so everyone could try different flavors. The swap there got too big so they put people in smaller groups.

Anyone?

·
Registered
831 Posts
We have the BEST tea here, I know 'cos I have tried tea all over the world and we have the best here in Yorkshire, it is so good that you can make 4, yep, 4 cups from one bag ( unless you like to "slice" your tea, in which case just one or 2 cups:D )

The problem is US Customs have got very fussy about imports and the only do-able way is to send a whole box and make it up into a small parcel, complete with customs form....(I know 'cos I send my American Aunt English tea all the time).

As nothing compares to our English tea I would rather swop for a toothpaste I tried & liked in the US (but can't get here)......but that is probably not what you had in mind?

I am open to offers;)

karen

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I don't even care that much for tea. I was just thinking it would be a cheap swap to do if people were interested. (Although my English-descent MIL would love the tea!) But there are some other things from England that DH's relatives send us that I would love to get my hands on, so this might be doable.

What kind of toothpaste are you thinking of?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PS I should add that I have to go to work in a few minutes, so if you do see this and answer anytime soon, it will be the middle of the morning there by the time I get home and reply. (What time is it there, anyway? I have no idea how many hours ahead of us you are. When I had a boyfriend in Iceland, it seems like he was 5 hours ahead, but I don't remember as that was 12 years ago!)

·
Registered
831 Posts
The time difference depends on where in the US you are, if for example you were in Hawaii, you would be 10 hours BEHIND the UK, in general a good rule of thumb is that you will always be about 6 hours BEHIND UK time.

The toothpaste in question is "Coffee Drinkers" toothpaste:laugh: :laugh:
Yeah, I know I drink mainly tea, but it did seem to brighten my teeth a bit;)

That said I got it in Canada, but I think it's made in the USA, maybe I should check!

Has you DH got relatives in England then? & what sort of things does Dh's rellies send you that you like?

OR has your MIL still got relatives over in the UK? & is that where SHE gets her English goodies from? or does she import them direct? it's always cheaper thought to get things sent as a "gift" then you don't have to pay duty on them unless it is for a lot, ( more on that if and when....;) .......)

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so I was close with the 5 hours- I am on the east coast (sorry- forgot to mention.) Maybe it was 6 hours for Iceland, too. Like I said, it was so long ago I don't really recall.

Is this :http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodid=189364 the toothpaste you used? I don't recall seeing it, but it don't generally look at the specialty toothpaste, and if CVS.com has it, the CVS right next to the hospital I work at probably has it, too, so I should be able to get my hands on some for you. It would be a very nice gift to get, wrapped all pretty, from America, don't you think?

MIL's late mother was a war bride. She passed away when MIL was only 18, but she still has a nieces and nephews in England, and MIL is very close to her (MIL's) first cousin, second cousins (who is her age), and the rest of them. The live /(if I am recalling correctly) not far from Manchester- I would look it up in my address book and tell you but my DD is sitting on my lap right now.

Sometimes MIL goes to England and brings things back, but more often we get things from Janet and Kath for Christmas and Maggie's birthday. They send all sorts of things, but there is one particular Cadbury bar than I am after. I will have to see if I can figure out what it is called because I have forgotten the name. I don't generally like milk chocolate (dark chocolate fan here.) Okay, it is the Crunchie bar. I see there is also a thing called Crunchie Nuggets. It is possible to buy them over the internet in the US, but 1)it just isn't the same and 2) they charge a ridculously high price, not even including shipping.

So, provided I can find that toothpaste, I am up for a foreign exchange. I would be more than happy to toss in a couple other suprise "American" things or even some non-surprise ones if you just let me know the kind of (not-too-heavy) things you might like from America. And I wouldn't mind some little British surprises if you are interested. (I like trying little foods from other countries, but no weird meat things. I don't like meat, but you are a vegetarian anyway, aren't you?) And I am willing to risk the warm weather here- it has been hot the last few days, but it should be cooling off soon.

So if you are interested in that or even just the toothpaste and nothing else, let me know. I guess we will have to try to figure out the exchange rate so it is a fair trade. Last I knew it was about $1.50 to £1, but that was a couple years ago, so it is probably worse (for me) now- maybe something like $2 to £1. Have to look. Hmmm, I was close. Yesterday's rate was $1.92 to £1.

Anyway, let me know. This could be fun! Haven't sent anything overseas since I used to send care packages to that boyfriend in Iceland.

PS Sorry that got so long- I can never be concise!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts