Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Consider bringing snacks, and things like bread, pb&j, and lunch meat in a cooler along with lots of water bottles and other drinks, etc. Have a few picnics at rest areas. We did this to help defray the cost and it helped a lot. :)

We did the same thing. Brought shaved meats and cheese along with chips and snacks and the kids ate it for days with no complaints or asking to stop anywhere for fast food.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I posted that walmart and sams club ar eonly allowing 2 big bags of rice at a time on another board and i was told to go play in the soil because I was saying the sky was falling.
they don't have a clue whats comming

Hannafords and Price Chopper and others are still good priced at th emoment and not rationing.
Just talked to hannaforda's today.
Thanks for being my strength today..
I was at our Sam's Club last night. They are *not* rationing here.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
My local Hispanic market had white rice 20 lbs. for $5.99 and 20 lbs. of pintos for $8.99. Are those decent prices?
Don't know about the beans, but the rice is a good price. I pay $8.xx for 20lbs of white rice (Hinode brand) at the commissary.

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
I'll try, but we will be very cramped traveling in 2 sedans one pulling a trailer across the country with enough of our belongings to make life easy for at least 30 days. Fun, not.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
They had on our local news, this morning, that sams was rationing rice, allowing 4 bags per member. I went to sams to get milk and eggs, as it is much cheaper there. The rice isle was full of people. Makes you wonder how many of those people wouldn't have been there if it wasn't for the news.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Can we eat potatoes instead of rice?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
We do. We eat rice only a couple times a year. We go through 50 lbs($5-10 depending on time of year) potatoes every 4-6 weeks.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I would love to get 50lbs of potatoes for $5-10. That's 5 to 10 cents per pound. The cheapest I can find them is 27c/lb.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
When the cropi s fresh, they are a little more expensive. When the fresh harvest is over, then they are cheap! They are considered "seconds" but they are usually nicer than what the stores are selling. They are also grown locally.

·
27,948 Posts
Honestly, right now in the US the shortages have more to do with restaurants stocking up at the lower price than any shortages.

And the price going up "10 times what we pay now" sounds like an exaggeration. The best thing to do is NOT panic. The worst thing you can do is go to the store and wipe out all they have.
:yeah: I agree wholeheartedly. Do not panic, that is what causes the problem. We are in for a rough patch but the sky isn't falling. Be aware but don't add to the problem by hoarding. What we need to do is what we usually do and that's to keep your pantry like you normally do, ready for that rainy day. Just my 2 ¢.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
there are wholesale clubs here who are rationing certain products... mostly produce/staples.

it's sad, but i understand that's how it's gonna be... til something gets figured out.

it was on the news last night and this morning about different countries rationing grains... and now here in the States how certain states/shopping centers are rationing as well... AND increasing the prices of these rationed items!!

We use rice in LOTS of things in my house. But I can easily switch to whatever's on sale. Pasta/rice - if not available, well, we'll have a LOT more roasted veggies instead. :)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I heard the CEO (I think) of Costco say in a news interview they are rationing not because of a shortage, but because of panic and horading. Too bad because I would venture to say that a lot of it will go to waste. One guy interviewed said when he heard they would be rationing he bought 10 50 lb bags...just in case. What the heck is he going to do with 500 lbs of rice?? Hope he donates it to a shelter or food bank before it goes buggy.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I love all you girls but I think I am going to avoid reading some of these types of threads. Not because I want to bury my head in the sand but because I do not have any money at all to stock pile with beyond my normal shopping habits. Hubby and I have hit a hard patch with money as you all know. I have been eating from my stock pile to save on spending. So not only can I not afford to stockpile rice pasta and flour I have been eating my stockpile so it's getting smaller by the day. I don't want to think that the sky is falling but I also don't want to be unprepared. Unfortunately if if does fall I won't be able to be prepared .

·
Registered
271 Posts
The rice isle was full of people. Makes you wonder how many of those people wouldn't have been there if it wasn't for the news.
Exactly.

Just buy what you normally buy. This insanity isn't even about all kinds of rice, just certain niche kinds that experienced crop failure. If you don't normally eat 50lbs of rice, don't buy 50lbs of rice. Waste of money.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
While I am certainly not in panic mode, I did have DH bring home 5 5pound bags of rice and popped them in the freezer. I dont think there is a shortage but I do think prices will increase by end of summer. I have also decided to take 200.00 and build up the stockpile of items that are a bit on the low side. nothing excessive but enough to help a bit

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Again, not in any kind of panic mode here, but I picked up a 5 lb bag of white rice and a 2.5 bag of brown rice today at the store. I didn't "need" it, but still, one bag does not qualify me as "creating a panic".........buy a bit extra, but don't go overboard or cause a panic.
my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
We rarely eat rice, so I haven't bought any . . .

But as far as stockpiling goes, I did email the Dave Ramsey show to get his "take" on it! If you want to listen to it (sorry, I don't know how to link it here! :sigh:) you can go to the Daveramsey.com archives. It was on the Thurs., April 24th show, about halfway through. Basically he said stockpiling may save a little bit, but it takes up a lot of room and just delays the inevitable that at some point you will run out and have to buy it again, or the item goes bad. He said he doesn't stockpile or see the need for it!!! :surprise: I was shocked, given the recent news everywhere about food prices going up! I have saved a TON of money by stockpiling when the prices were really good, or when I have gotten free items with coupons. I'm a huge fan of his and have agreed with him 100% of the time, but in this area, maybe he just doesn't get it??!! :shrug2:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I am building a small stockpile but then I always have.
I hate running back and forth to the store so I will
buy two or more of the same item just to have it
on hand.

The one thing that I do differently when I go in the store
now is look for unadvertised bargains. Most stores
have them all the time you just have to look for
them and if it's something that's a good buy
I'll back up what I already have and continuously
rotate my stock.

Thanks for the info. ;)

·
Registered
450 Posts
We rarely eat rice, so I haven't bought any . . .

But as far as stockpiling goes, I did email the Dave Ramsey show to get his "take" on it! If you want to listen to it (sorry, I don't know how to link it here! :sigh:) you can go to the Daveramsey.com archives. It was on the Thurs., April 24th show, about halfway through. Basically he said stockpiling may save a little bit, but it takes up a lot of room and just delays the inevitable that at some point you will run out and have to buy it again, or the item goes bad. He said he doesn't stockpile or see the need for it!!! :surprise: I was shocked, given the recent news everywhere about food prices going up! I have saved a TON of money by stockpiling when the prices were really good, or when I have gotten free items with coupons. I'm a huge fan of his and have agreed with him 100% of the time, but in this area, maybe he just doesn't get it??!! :shrug2:

Yea.. maybe he just doesn't get it ! ? ! I grew up with a stockpiling Mom and never knew I wasn't supposed to. LOL I'm 43 and I tell you, there were times in my life when stockpiled food saved us from going without food while we had our personal hard times due to whatever... During the course of life, things are going to happen. The economy has people's attention right now, I imagine more people are looking into the concept of buying ahead ( especially when there are sales on items you would use anyway!) .

Rising food prices guarantee you will save significant money stockpiling properly, always making sure you get things you're gonna eat anyway. That seems to make sense anyway. Makes me wonder if he is out of touch in some way with what's going on in the real world... Maybe he hasn't went grocery shopping in a while? LOL

21 - 40 of 42 Posts