Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 2 months into my weight loss journey. It's been going really well, despite pigging out at Christmas, and having a broken hand since mid December, which restricts my workouts. As of yesterday, I'm down 12 lbs. As of Jan 8 I'm thinned out by 8 inches, get measured again next week. I'm getting trim and fit! And feeling so much more energetic

I'm at the point where I am going to need some new things. I am going to hit the second hand stores maybe next week, or the week after. My belt has been cinched by 3 holes, and the pants are folding under and quite uncomfortable. Pants are my main thing. I work from home, so jeans will be my item of choice, and yoga pants for the gym, as my current ones are almost falling off!

I just have no idea what else I need to consider, I want to be set for another 6 to 8 weeks before having to transition again. I only plan on a couple pairs of jeans and yoga pants, as I'm still on this journey for another 4+ months, likely more like 8!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
CONGRATS! And I am sure you will find some items to carry you through your journey.............have fun shopping.......and keep up the good work!!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am thinking I can alter the jeans at home to make them function for another few weeks, if I can stretch it to March I'd be happy. Don't like doing alterations, but looking at it this way, I am not fitting them anyway, even if they don't fit perfectly, they'll be better than what they are now. I figure by the time I lose 20lbs, there won't be much option, but for now, I can still make them work. Dh will have to help...lol. That should be fun. Tops are still ok for now. I figure once our warm weather hits, it will be time to replace them, but at that time it will be more tank tops, so really cheap to replace. But undergarments will be needed then too, so that will eat up what I save on tops, for that, without really blowing the budget.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Underwear! When I lost weight I didn't consider it and my underwear fell down while I had a skirt on.
Shameful.

Congrats on the Weightloss!!

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
If you have some long shirts or tops leggings will go a long way as you loose weight. Since they are stretchy they grow or shrink with you. This fall I washed whatever wool sweaters I had that were a size big for me in cold water and then dried them in the dryer. They ended up shrinking to a size smaller which was perfect for me. So you might want to consider that if you have any sweaters. I wouldn't spend to much money on new underwear right now. If you are still loosing weight the more inexpensive brands will work fine until you get to your desired weight. Then spend a little extra for good underwear.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't ever wear leggings or long tops, not my thing. I'll get it figured out though. Alter where I can, and supplement where i have too.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I'd say scour the 2nd hand stores and you know what - you've already lost 10lbs and 8inches. Thats enough to warrant at least a new pair of jeans from WM or somewhere like that. Just one pair. WTG on the loss btw!! :)

FN - Hahahaha - shameful that you're in that much denial that you lost weight? ;)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Congrats on your weight loss! Will you inspire me? I truly need to be doing what you're doing.

In the past, when I lost weight, I would get transitional clothing from the thrift store. It wasn't great but it was better than nothing.

My suggestion is to look for items that are adjustable. For instance, skirts with a drawstring or elastic waist. Belts for shorts and pants come in handy. I simply stopped wearing jeans because they either fit or they don't and the fabric is so thick, if the waist gets bunched up it is awful. If you want to wear jeans, buy them used and look for thin material. I found those garter clips for tightening bed sheets (a garter clip at each end and an elastic band in the middle) helped keep my pants and skirts on.

DO invest in underwear. I found that buying them from Sams Club or Costco to be the best option. Remember to get different bras, too! That is probably the area where I cringe the most. I have quite an investment in bras and I hate to give them up. Keep looking for clearance sales at Dillards or Belk. JC Penneys might be a good option, too.

DO get rid of your larger sized clothing as you go. You DO NOT want to go back.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Cookie,

My motivation was actually my MIL. Of all people. She started going to the gym, and in 3 months lost 17lbs. Dh kept commenting on how good she looked, truly, I haven't seen a difference, but hey.... She was going to Curves. I have always been skeptical. Now I was curious enough to go check it out, but really how effective could a 30 minute work out really be?

It was the right time, I had no sign up fee, first month free and NO contract, just 30 day notice. So I texted dh and he said go for it.

I started going 3x a week. It was just 35 minutes(with stretching afterwards). And after the first 4 work outs, I started getting more energy.

I won't work out at home, I don't have time to go for long walks, I run a home daycare, with no side walks in our neighborhood, too hazardous with that many littles and the snow is too deep for a stroller. I don't like work out videos for the most part.

So I commited, I go 3 mornings a week, there for 6:30 am. My first month, I lost 6lbs and 8 inchs. I know I've lost for sure 6.25 more since then. I'll know tomorrow how many more inches.

In January, I decided to try their diet program as well. It upped my monthly fee only $20. Which is fine, as I was going to go to WW, which would have been $17 a week more! So the gym membership with the diet program is actually LESS then going to WW. I wish I could do it on my own, but I can't. I've tried and failed miserably many many times. I don't like the group meetings from WW. It's one on one with Curves. I meet once a week for about 15 to 20 minutes. We look over my week, see how active I've been, if I've stayed on target. I was really surprised at how much food I had to eat! It was hard. It's based on a low glycemic diet, much like the diabetic diet. It's all real foods. You can even tailor it for gluten free or dairy free. It's fantastic. I am just now hitting the point where I can finish all my food in a day..lol. It has taken some time. I have learned that I am an undereater, not an over eater.

Since I can't do karate right now, I'm trying to do an extra visit or 2 to Curves to make up for that. Their whole focus for the program is to vamp up your metabolism. I started one week at 1200, and now am at 1500. That is happening, need ot work on some other aspects.

Iknow it's not the most frugal way to lose weight, but it's been my best success ever! It will save on health expenses in the future. And I'm USING IT and WORKING it. Dh is thrilled with the results too. As long as I'm going and working out, it's worth it.

So I've changed my opinion, Curves can give you a good workout. BUT you only get what you put in. There are some ladies go every day and never break a sweat, never lose weight. If you put the effort in anything, you can see results. I leave drenched every day! And as a result I'm losing every week. Find something you like and commit.

Reactions: Frugal Nurse

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Weighed and measured today. Total loss of 13. 5 lbs :) and 10 inches lost. My BMI is 3 points away from no longer being overweight, and has dropped me out of the obese range. I have lost approx 10.5 lbs of FAT, it doesn't surprise me that I lost a little muscle since I have a hand injury. In another month, I'll be in rehab and be able to start using it more. With no weight allowed on it, it's hard to do much for upper body work outs.

Still at loss what to do for clothes. I do think I will attempt to alter first before buying more.... if it can last another 4-6 weeks, then I'll be ok with buying more.

Reactions: Early Bird

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
if it were me...

I would sew darts on the pants/skirt waist. I mean - you're not going to use them later - so no biggy. and they can be undone easily. How to Sew a Dart Into Jeans | eHow.com

I would buy one belt (thrift store) and tuck the belt tight enough to hold pants up

I would insert an elastic or grossgrain/string into the waistband of skirts/yoga pants to tighten things up.

It's okay to wear loose things. btw.

Shirts, you can get away with wearing loose.

Buy some smaller underwear - see my post above.

Again, congrats on your waist loss. I am envious. But I'll get there too. On my weightloss journey now.

Reactions: Early Bird
1 - 13 of 13 Posts