Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(and forgive me if this thread was already started)

What have you done nice for someone else, to help them, weather it be a friend, relative, someone you don't know, a donation, etc.

We have been really struggling this year, but we did bring a small Christmas present for a older lady from our community that now lives in the old age home.

I also done up one of those shoe boxes that go over seas, BUT ended up missing the deadline for it.

I helped a friend wrap all her presents.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Today I brought my friend and her daughter to the mall so they could be bell ringers for the salvation army. Her husband had started a new job and had to use their vehicle. Now mind you, today is my day off, and I got up early and went out in the cold to have them there by 9 am! I didn't want them walking for an hour or more to get to their obligation! Later on, we will be donating some items to the Salvation army as well. Cleaning out closest etc...we have just acquired too much stuff over the years!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Took all of my Dh cloths to 2 different places that give those in need clothing. I did it last month so they would have them for the holidays as they were dress cloths and suits.

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
I'll be shopping the loss leaders later this morning, to give to the local food pantry.

Reactions: Gibs

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I give to the VA and the homeless shelters. I try to help where I see the need.
Fern

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great job everyone, great to see everyone helping in their own ways.

Hugs

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
We've been feeling kind of down that are charitable giving has hit an all time low this year.

It's not much but;

-gave to the Salvation Army
-made up a tin of homemade chocolates to go with the fruit basket (from our church) that my husband delivered to a shut in.
-will be taking some dog food and bleach to the shelter.
-will be wrapping up a few small token gifts, adding a tin of chocolates and delivering them to someone who is temporarily bedridden and forgotten over this holiday. :(

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
The kids took their piggy banks to give to the SA bell ringer at the store.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Gave a bunch of new toys to Toys for Tots. Man it made my day to do that and just knowing some children will have a nice Christmas is a mood booster for me.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Oh I forgot mine!
Our family (and about 100 other people) spent this morning packing 30,000 meals for the hungry in Haiti.
We also adopted a family for our church's Best Christmas EVER program, providing clothes, toys, shoes and coats for the children.

Reactions: gottadance and Gibs

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I will be giving scarves that I have knitted to a food pantry. Will also be taking the extra toothpaste and deoderant I have been collecting throughout the year to the food pantry. If I do not get it to them I know someone who can distribute them to people in need.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great job everyone!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I always go out of my way to be extra nice and polite and say thank you etc to store clerks as this time of year they work long hours and tend to get cranky people more often .

more than once in past month i have given away coupons worth 10 off 25$ at macys when i didnt find anything i wanted so i handed them to someone or left them on a display for someone else to use rather than take them with me and just toss them.

donated a 20$ walmart gift card to each of the two families my kids classes at school were adopting .

oldest ds is taking 2 new toys into school monday for a project the NHS is doing .

will be taking some neighbors of mine who are older and live alone some cookies .

just about everytime i see a SA person in the cold or even inside by the door where its chilly collecting $ i drop in a dollar- even if i run into 3 of them in my travels and end up giving 3$ that day - i know i couldnt do that job - i also thank them for what they are doing rather then say your welcome when they thank me .

the 14 yo and her friends have impulsively been goinng caroling the past 3 weekends much to the enjoyment of the people they are running into . they have been offered $ but refused it .

my dd's 8th grade class will be walking to a senior apt complex and singing carols

kids usually help pack holiday food bags .
we use to go to a soup kitchen the sunday before christmas and they would serve a early holiday dinner but the youth group stopped going for safetu reasons - in the past few months someones car was broken into and a guy had a knife and was threatening a woman ( he had it in his pocket - not out - but still not a safe thing .)

·
Registered
645 Posts
My company throws a Christmas party at a local social service center for needy children - employees do different things - adopt a child, cook for the party or help throw the party. I usually cook, but couldn't get it together, so instead I went hog wild at the grocery store and got tons of food stuff for the party.

I'm also having my sister's adopted daughter's older sister over for Christmas - her mother's a drug addict, her father's not in her life, grandfather she lives with is destitute. So even though she's 17 and doesn't want to be adopted, we've taken her into our family as mentors and every year buy her gifts, etc.

·
Registered
382 Posts
This isnt really "seasonal" but I run a charity through my church and we give out hygiene and cleaning supplies to the needy once a month. You can buy a steak with food stamps but not a pack of toilet paper...crazy! So we try to provide things that food stamps and food pantries dont. Things like toilet paper, toothpaste,diapers,laundry soap,ect. I love it! I was the one who started it and I have been doing it for almost two years now! Aside from the Lord and being a wife and mother its the most important thing in my life :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I love reading all the stories of what everyone has been doing. Again, Awesome jobs everyone!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts