Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having bought starved my ds to death (ok, not really but he was HUNGRY), we found out that I am one of the few woman that don't produce enough breatmilk. I am still giving ds what I have but we are having to supplement with formula... I have looked on some websites and read some books, but was wondering if you ladies had some ideas for how to increase the milk production. We are not sure if anything will even work, but its worth a try. I have a hospital grade pump and having been pumping often but that isn't making it increase.....I don't mind giving him the formula/breastmilk combination....my dh is taking over some of the nighttime feedings...lol...i just would like to try.

Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Are you drinking enough? Often times that will help increase your milk supply. I think I read somewhere that you should have an 8 oz glass of water when you pump or feed.

There is an excellent attachment parenting website that has TONS of women who breastfeed and might be able to answer your question more in depth:

http://www.amitymama.com/vb/index.php?s=

Also, try La Leche League:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/

HTH!

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Things I did:

make sure to start each feeding on a different breast- alternate. I switched my rings from one hand to the other to keep track.

feed frequently

pump between feedings

drink lots of water

pump after a feeding- to stimulate the breast to produce more. Let the baby nurse until he's satisfied (or you're empty) and then pump some more to stimulate production.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I had to use and SNS (Supplimental Nursing System) for dd because I wans't producing enough. It worked great and i began producing enough that she didn't need the SNS. However, eventually for reasons that my doc couldnt figure out, i after month three began to rapidly decrease in mlk production. And I had to switch her to formula. I liked to drink "Mother's Milk" Tea by Traditional ___?___ It is a tea that is supposed to stimulate the milk production. I don't know if it actually worked, but it was a nice tea.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Mother's Milk tea by Traditional Medicinals... like Melissa said, it's supposed to be good. I had ordered some, but by the time it arrived DD wasn't able to breastfeed anymore.

I will tell you what my lactation consultant in the hospital had me do... it sounds weird, but she swore by it. I stayed at the hospital two weeks with Maria and this woman really did seem to know what she was doing... even if this suggestion does sound like she was off the wall!

She had me go out for four nights in a row and drink a dark beer. It had to be something dark.... she said not to even bother with light beers, the darker the better. She said that the hops (I think??) in the beer stimulate milk production, and that one beer a night for those few days would not harm Maria in any way. (And Maria was a preemie in the special care nursery, at that.) I tried it, and I do think it helped some.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
no advice but I am one those few women also and I know how much you need ((((hugs)))) right now. Hang in there and I have heard the dark beer thing also.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Same problem here. This is what works for me. I got some Fenugreek at Vitamin World. It's less than $10 for 90. It seem to speed up the refill so baby can nurse successfully more frequently. Nurse the baby on one side until it's good and empty. When you switch to the other side, pump side one while baby's nursing side 2. The next time you nurse, do opposite sides. If time (and baby) permit, double pump for another 15 minutes or so right after nursing. Be sure you are eating enough, and drink LOTS of water.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I had some Fenugreek too, forgot all about that. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.