Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Granola bars are now moving from 10 count boxes to 6 or 8 count boxes. Multi packs of yogurt have gone from 6 to 4. has the price changed? not really. Has anyone else noticed items shrinking like this?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Yes, I did notice the yogurt packs of four!

WTH??

Are we going to get mini loaves of bread soon?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Yes, I got swindled by being in a hurry and buying DH's Breyer's Ice cream. The carton is not much bigger than a quart, never mind 1/2 gallon.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Yes, I got swindled by being in a hurry and buying DH's Breyer's Ice cream. The carton is not much bigger than a quart, never mind 1/2 gallon.
ohhhh, I'll have to look for that one next trip to the store! I buy ice cream in the BIG tub - so I don't check the prices/sizes of the cartons very often

:abduct:

·
Registered
871 Posts
I never buy bacon, but I was making broccoli salad for a party. I thought that I had done pretty well paying $2.00 for a package of bacon. When I got home I realized it was only 12 oz and not a pound. Yeah, they're getting us where ever they can. It's really frustrating. However, I did pick up a six pack of my favorite steaks at costco today and they were actually cheaper buy over $5 (12.00 for 6). I was thrilled!

·
Registered
908 Posts
I noticed the shrinking packages also on my last shopping trip, can't remember which items right now

·
Registered
663 Posts
coffee coffee coffee

and TP. Sheesh! 2 basic staples!! Same $$ less product . . .

Cereal, which I rarely buy. Less product.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
They have been quietly doing this for the last few months.
There was an article a wahile back on the local tv station about this.
But never did they lower th e prices and now blaming gas prices to raise them more.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
20/20 did a show on it back in the early to mid 80's, they called it "The Incredible Shrinking Product". I remember because my mother wrote in with her commplaints and they did a show on it. The manufacturers still keep doing it. They seem to recycle the same gimmick. Next they will come out with a "giant" or "Family" sized product and it will be the same thing they used to carry years ago, but now for more money. Then they start the cycle of reducing it all over again.

The ultra concentrated stuff is to trick us too. I hated it when sugar went from 5 lbs to 4 lbs. They get you any way they can.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I cooked a box of Hamburger Helper last night and it almost didn't feed the four of us. Last year this time we would have had leftovers from it.

Stephanie

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
There are some products that changed years ago...coffee for one!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Noticed today at the grocery store...

Fresh Express salad in a bag...used to be 16oz, then 12oz...it's now 9oz!!!!!

·
Registered
938 Posts
I cooked a box of Hamburger Helper last night and it almost didn't feed the four of us. Last year this time we would have had leftovers from it.

Stephanie
I make this for DBF's lunches and it only makes 3 lunches for him. I swear the box says 5 servings...

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Have definately noticed this with toilet paper. There are now 9 count packages. That plus the roles are smaller in width. Also have noticed products not being a full 16 oz. It really does get frustrating sometimes. Plus this seems to be just the beginning. Who knows where prices and package weights will go.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Funny ! I just noticed the same thing this past weekend with oatmeal packets. I do get the large containers of oatmeal, but I admit to keeping a box of instant flavored oatmeal packets on hand for a quick breakfast I can eat at the office. Anyway, some of the dollar stores sell a generic brand, Mom's Best, with 8 envelopes for $1. I picked up another box for $1, thinking it was great at least the price for oatmeal had not increased...well, then I got home and was putting the groceries away. I then noticed that the box now only held 6 packets of oatmeal. I even got out another box I had in the cupboard to compare and make sure I was not imagining things. What a rip off.
Sigh, it is getting harder and harder to stay within the grocery budget.

Reactions: Luv2BeFrugal
1 - 20 of 48 Posts