Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~I was browsing through real estate listings last night when I came upon a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath contempory home set on 1.5 acres for only $175,000. That's about $150,000 too cheap. It is in a fairly run-down town but on 1.5 acres you distance yourself from it, you know? So I emailed the agent for tax and location information. This morning I get the response. $6000 in yearly property taxes! In a run-down, crime-filled, horrible school system, poor poor poor town! And I took out my county map to find the exact location. It's about .5/10ths mile from an interesting road called "Sewer Plant Road". Who's idea was it to build there? And they still have the nerve to charge $6K in taxes? Alot of the real estate around here is that bleak. The bargains are offset by crime/lack of services and RIDICULOUS prooperty taxes. :grrr: ~

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Where I live $175,000 would be a very nice home in a very good neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
wow 150,000 is cheap for NJ but when you are describing the area and the taxes, yikes! I wouldnt want to live there!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
meant to say 175,000

·
Registered
359 Posts
man, that's so much. We live in a low col area.. Our prop taxes were only $807 last year. And our neighborhood is very nice middle class.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Wow $6K in taxes, holy moly that is alot! Roughly $500 a month, just a little less than our current mortgage payment. $175,000 here in PA could buy you a really nice home in excellent condition in a really nice neighborhood too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
man, that's so much. We live in a low col area.. Our prop taxes were only $807 last year. And our neighborhood is very nice middle class.

wow, that is so cheap. I live in soutwest florida and our property taxes on this new home will be about $4,000/yr. I will get a little break if filing for Homestead Exemption, but can't do that until next year. and we only have a 10,000 square foot lot that the house is on

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
$175k in our area would buy you 1/2 a house in a nice neighborhood. :)
$6k a year in taxes is a whole lot. Yikes!

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I lived in NYC, my friend's parents paid 25K in property taxes in NJ. They were millionaries though :yikes:

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
We paid around $140,000 for our house, nice neighborhood, approx 2700 sq ft, pool, almost an acre lot.... and our property taxes after we filed the homestead exemption are $416 a year.

My mom built a house 4 years ago, about five miles from me. House was $290,000 - gated/restricted, upscale neighborhood - beautiful house etc.. her property taxes only $900.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Welcome to the hell that is owning a home in NJ. My taxes are $6200 for .33 acres. Yes, I said POINT 33.

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
That's the trouble up here in Alaska. A good home in a good neighborhood (think 2000 sq ft...smaaaaall lot...) is appx $350,000. And property taxes are about 1.7%...that comes to $5950 per year. You can get a zero lot line home or a townhouse in a decent neighborhood for about $280,000, but the property taxes still come to a big chunk of change!

Our friends just rented a 3 bed/1 bath apartment for $950/month + electric (about $75/mo). Yup, renting or buying those property taxes get ya! :smhelp:

That's why we want to move eventually...we can't afford to live up here... :(

·
Registered
616 Posts
It is expensive here in Ontario to buy a home and for property taxes. I pay about $3000 a year for my taxes. My lot is a small 40 ft wide city lot. My house is only 1680 sq. ft.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Here in South Florida you can't find a shack for under $200,000. All new homes are $250,000 and up. Our home 20 years old 1500 sq. ft. on 1/4 of an acre with a homestead exp runs us $1,321.00 in taxes and $2,549.00 in homeowners insurance (not the state pool). If we could sell our market has come to a stand still, we couldn't afford to rebuy here we'd have to leave the state. Because new home buyers have to pay $7,500.00 impact fee. This fee is either paid up front or written into your mortage. The fee varies from county to county and is suppose to help with upgrade need in the county structures. Like school, fire department, roads, etc. Sarasota county just voted on their fee $10,500.00. Baxjul whats your county fee?

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
An impact fee is just a way for the florida government to get your money. Its just pork! Its a fee you pay for the "impact" your family will have on your county. It pays for building new schools, road mantaince and that sort of thing.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
We paid around $140,000 for our house, nice neighborhood, approx 2700 sq ft, pool, almost an acre lot.... and our property taxes after we filed the homestead exemption are $416 a year.

My mom built a house 4 years ago, about five miles from me. House was $290,000 - gated/restricted, upscale neighborhood - beautiful house etc.. her property taxes only $900.

Could you please tell me what county you live in? Is there any race tracks close to you? I so want to move south...TIA..

·
Registered
966 Posts
This is why many people are leaving New Jersey and moving across the bay to Delaware. Here in Delaware our property taxes are among the lowest in the nation, compared to New Jersey being the highest! Families can save money, yet still be close enough to commute to many jobs.

A typical tax bill on a 2000 square foot home with 1/3 acre is $1400 per year. My house is smaller and in an older neighborhood, about 1500 square foot, I pay $600 per year.

Here's an article that just came out this week in our local newspaper:
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007303010019

... and a typical house in Delaware, with taxes at $1388:

http://pattersonschwartz.com/search...D=7614644&pageTo=2&section=areaHomes&sortBy=1

Come check us out! :lurking: Delaware is nice, with no sales tax either! An easy place to be frugal!

Marianne

1 - 20 of 37 Posts