Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a female pug which we keep inside. Now she is taken out for walks and to do her business. However, at night she does do her business inside, also if it is raining or bad weather. Now for my question. We have been buying the pee pads from Walmart and are happy with them. But with money getting tighter and tighter I am trying to figure out an alternative to them. I have tried newspapers before and also a litter box to no avail. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I use them at night for my senior dog as she is starting to have occasional accidents with urine. I got a great big pack at Big Lots for $4.

I had looked at the Potty Patch but am afraid to spend that much not knowing if she will use it if she has an emergency. However it looks like you just rinse it off and keep reusing.

https://pottypatch.com/ It is cheaper in stores btw

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Yes, quit buying pee pads.
You are making it ok for the dog to pee in the house by leaving them down. Make the dog go out before you go to bed and stay out until she does her business.
Also pick up her water bowl.
And here was my answer...so I definitely agree that this works, but we've never taken up the water bowl. We have one of the large water bowl things that have the inverted bottle/tank that's like a 4-5 gallon tank...it would be too much of a hassle.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Crate her. Buy her a nice crate, lots of fluffy blankets, and that's her new bedroom at night. When dogs have a larger area its easier for them to wander off and relieve themselves instead of holding it in. If she does pee the blankets you will know she didn't mean to and can easily wash the blankets each week.

You can also get her a diaper to wear at night only, for when you put her to bed in the crate. Don't buy those expensive doggy wee diapers though, use women's sanitary pads, super cheap brand, and slip them in the cloth diaper holder instead.

Hope this helps, dogs really do like their own den once they are introduced to it in a positive manner. Lots of treats! Lots of blankies! Best wishes from a fellow dog lover.
---- Just wanted to add that if you don't want to pick up the water bowl, block it with a large cardboard box over the top of it. If necessary, if she tries to push the box up, place books on top of the box for added weight. Also, for training her out of the "sneak off and pee" mode, you can attach a leash to her and have the handle under the sofa leg. Leave the leash attached to sofa leg at all times, discreetly hide the leash under the sofa when not in use or if you have company over, but when you are just watching tv attach her to the leash. She can lay at your feet, have your attention, but cannot sneak off. I had to do this with my Lhasa when she was young.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
If you really need a place at night try putting newspaper underneath the pad. This way the smell seem similar and you can probably remove the newspaper.

In the long run it would probably be better to just get the dog used to going outside.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I couldn't tell from the post whether the pug peeing inside was something the owner wanted to stop, or was okay with but just wanted an alternative to pee pads. I got the latter impression. If that is the case, I'd probably try those little fake grass things. Start by putting the pee pad on them, so she gets used to it and understands its purpose. Afterward, just eliminate the pads and rinse the fake grass thing as per its instructions (I would assume at LEAST daily). It is a bigger investment up front, but would pay for itself in a few months.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I got the impression the dog couldnt hold it. I know my very old dog can't hold it all night any more. I think crate training is great personally and that is how we trained every dog we have had. However can the dog not hold it is it just not night trained?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I need to clarify. She does hold it most of the time. However, sometimes she doesn't. I have to put one more thing in here. I have health issues--fibromyalgia among other things, so sometimes it is just a matter of me hurting too bad to take her out. She on the other hand would much rather go outside. Crate training is just out of the question, my husband would not even consider it, she's his baby, actually both of ours. She has two John Deere beds, one in the living room and one right beside our bed. Anyway, thanks for all the great ideas. I will just have to figure out what works for us.

·
Registered
469 Posts
While I totally think crate training is the BEST option for ANY dog, large or small, I will say that I have a friend with NINE Chihuahuas and, like you, she has mobility issues and chooses to allow her dogs to eliminate inside the house. She buys those pads they use under patients in nursing facilities/hospitals and just washes them daily as an alternative to disposable pads, which are expensive. It seems to save her a lot of money that way.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Is a dog door an option?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Try looking up on the internet pet care for the disabled. I noticed there are some sites out there that may be able to give you tried and true suggestions to help you. You may be able to send an e-mail inquiring. Also see what your vet suggests. I am sure they know of ways to help you. You may also want to get a large low box to put the pads in. This way your dog will know where it's spot is and not get confused with any other piece of material that might be on the floor.

Let us know what you end up doing. I know pets can really help a person, especially with health concerns.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Could you put her on a long lead and stand at the door and let her out on a long lead til she potties for the night?

Then when she is empty you're good for the night?

Using dog wee pads encourages peeing indoors because of the pheromones that are on them. You could try Tena pads (in the adult incontinence section) They are a pretty good size and about 2/3rds the cost of a wee pad. However, they don't have the pheromone in them and she may not use it because of that.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
My Mom trained her Yorkie from day one to use piddle pads. Her health does not allow her to always be able to take the pup outside, so she opted for never taking her outside. It's not as unusual as you may think. Many city dweller's dogs don't leave their apartments except for vet visits. Nothing wrong with training a dog an alternative elimination routine, especially in the case of city dwellers, the disabled, and the elderly. My suggestion is to find the cheapest source of piddle pads so you can continue to do what has worked for your family.

Here's a link for reasonably priced piddle pads.

Pee Pads For Cheap - Great For Puppy Potty Training

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have two small dogs that are fully house-trained; however, if I allowed them free-roam during the night, they'd eliminate in my house. When we built this new house, I decided that regardless of how much I hated to do it, I would start crating them during the night. I refuse to have my carpet ruined. Because my kiddos were so used to sleeping in the bed with DH and I, I figured it would be a difficult process, with long sleepless nights of whining and scratching. They proved me wrong, though. I have a 4-lb Poodle and a 10-lb Dachshund, but I purchased an extra large crate (the size for adult Labs) and put their favorite blankets inside. I placed the crate next to my bed, and they slept soundly all night long, with no accidents. It's been three months, now, and they head straight to the cage and lay down as soon as we turn the living room TV off at night. I wash the blankets every Sunday, so as soon as I put the warm blankets back in the cage that evening, they both go in and lay there for about an hour, with the gate open, just because it's comfortable. It becomes a safe haven for them and it keeps my carpet clean...it's a win-win. :)

Reactions: mh3rdwheel

·
Registered
649 Posts
Crate her. Buy her a nice crate, lots of fluffy blankets, and that's her new bedroom at night. When dogs have a larger area its easier for them to wander off and relieve themselves instead of holding it in. If she does pee the blankets you will know she didn't mean to and can easily wash the blankets each week.

You can also get her a diaper to wear at night only, for when you put her to bed in the crate. Don't buy those expensive doggy wee diapers though, use women's sanitary pads, super cheap brand, and slip them in the cloth diaper holder instead.

Hope this helps, dogs really do like their own den once they are introduced to it in a positive manner. Lots of treats! Lots of blankies! Best wishes from a fellow dog lover.
---- Just wanted to add that if you don't want to pick up the water bowl, block it with a large cardboard box over the top of it. If necessary, if she tries to push the box up, place books on top of the box for added weight. Also, for training her out of the "sneak off and pee" mode, you can attach a leash to her and have the handle under the sofa leg. Leave the leash attached to sofa leg at all times, discreetly hide the leash under the sofa when not in use or if you have company over, but when you are just watching tv attach her to the leash. She can lay at your feet, have your attention, but cannot sneak off. I had to do this with my Lhasa when she was young.
A lot of time at night I put Tweety in her carrier which is very big for her, she loves it, alot of the time you cannot get her out of the carrier, it has a really comfy bed plus her favorite blankets.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts