Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a thread that talked about growing lettuce, onions and radishes year round and since I have skylights, but no area out side for a garden I planted them a few days ago. They are up and looking good so far. In the process of getting them in the soil, I found a couple more containers I can use in the house.

What other veggies, not really looking for herbs, can be grown indoors in a container? Someone suggested Thumbilina carrots already, so I'm going to try and give them a go. Any other ideas or things you've grown successfully indoors?

·
Registered
44 Posts
peppers make nice potted plants, most any type of greens veg will grow ,,, heck depending on how much light comes through the light could even do tomato... i have heard sweet potatoes do well in pots too but would have to be a fairly large one

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Artichokes ~ they take forever & my season isn't long enough for them.

Reactions: redeme

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I've grown pots of leaf lettuce and spinach in a nice sunny south window in the winter. If you like them, turnip tops (no turnip under the soil, just the green tops) will also grow in a small container. The crops grown indoors grow a little slower than when outside. I stick to cool-weather crops because I keep my home really cold. I've also grown a pot of tomatoes. Don't discount a few pots of herbs as well - an excellent source for fresh food that is full of nutrients. I now use a couple AeroGardens.

This is where I got my Red Robin Tomato Seeds for container gardening: http://www.containerseeds.com/

Beyond that, I consider sprouts our #1 indoor garden-in-a-jar. When you consider you'll NEVER get "fresh" food from a grocery store, sprouts (from beans/seeds/grains) are one of the best ways to grow food indoors and supplement the diet with REAL food.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I've grown lettuce too, but I had some aphid problems. I don't like to spray, so it was rather annoying.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I am getting ready to plant some indoor winter veggies. I've never tried it before, so I am looking forward to it. I think for now, I am going to start with spinach and lettuce and go from there.

A friend just loaned me a really cute gardening book, and here are their suggestions for an indoor, year round garden:

Beets: Little Ball
Carrots: Little finger, Thumbelina
Lettuce: Little gem, Tom Thumb
Radishes: Easter Egg (red, purple & white)
Scallions: Evergreen long white bunching
Spinach: Space

Hopefully, I will have enough light to do some indoor gardening. I miss my fresh garden veggies in the winter!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts