Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! My daughter just found out that Coventry is paying for gym memberships at 24 hour fitness. Her dad carries her. I don't know for how long or all the details, but they told her to take her insurance card up and join for free and that's what they did.

Is this something new? Anyone heard of it?

I guess they figure it would be cheaper to pay for gym memberships than doctor bills. Prevention. Kinda makes sense!

Crosses fingers for United Health Care for me. :D I would be all over that!

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Insurance companies are slowly coming around to the realization that promoting wellness increases profits. :)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
It's usually up to the employer ~ as they determine coverage, not the insurance company.

My DH's employer will pay for one marathon entry per year for employees & their families (it might be any distance race, I'm not sure) and they will also pay up to $150/year for any weightloss programs (Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc...) I'm not sure about gym memberships, I'll have to look into that.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I would have to contact the employer first about are coverage instead of our insurance? I would like to find out if we have been missing out on something!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
palooka, call your broker first if you have one...they can get the details easier and be more honest with you...alot of insurance companies have been paying for gym memberships or part of them for at least 5 yrs...its just not "out there".

alot of companies just dont make it public knowledge unless it is a hospital that is trying to lower the rates...or a large company. sometimes you may have to (after speaking w/ the broker) go directly to the insurance company to see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
sorry, there may be an insurance broker who sold the company or you the plan other than straight thru the insurance company. insurance brokers are a "go between" for the "users" and the insurance company

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Look on the back of your insurance card ~ there should be a 1-800 number. Call that. They will be able to access your policy more quickly than someone in your HR dept (if you are with a large corp. If you are with a small business, then your boss should know).
If your insurance co says no, you can still call your HR dept ~ they may have a seperate program (independent of your insurance) that still gives you some $$ for these expenses or a discount, or something).
If the answer is STILL no, ask the HR person if your company has ever considered offering such things, talk about it around work, get the word out, etc.... if a lot of employees start asking for this type of thing, the company may be more willing to offer it.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, that's the first thing I was thinking was call the number on the back of the card. Dh's company is huge and not sure how friendly HR is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.