Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a few references around here to international adoptions and I just wanted to create a space where we could touch base. I know there is an adoption forum - but it seems fairly inactive.

We are currently waiting on an adoption from China. Our LID is 4/16/07 - we have a LLLLOOOOONNNNNGGG wait in front of us. We're considering jumping ship over to the SN program.

Who else is out there?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
What is the SN program?

Our two boys were adopted from South Korea. They were 4 months and 9 months when they came home. They are now 6 1/2 and 4 1/2. I think they're just wonderful!

Good luck with your wait and/or your decision to switch to another program.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops soory! sometimes I forget the jargon is different in all of the different programs! SN = Special Needs

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Yup, this is me....as if you cannot tell from my name "IntlMom".
I have two boys born in Russia, they were 9 mos and 10 mos at adoption time. We adopted them at the same time. My younger one has Fetal Alch Syndrome, so he has some substantail learning issues, and some serious sensory issues! At nine months he was not quite 10 pounds.......he is my wonderful, marvouslus, miracle child! He never fails to amaze us at what he can do! My boys are now nine years old.
We also have our daughter, who is two and was born in China. We got her at 11 months, and were in China over last t-giving. She is just the apple of my hubbys eye...........
We are considering a second adoption from China IN SPITE of the 3-4 year wait for a healthy child. We may go SN, as well. (yes, I knew what you meant)....
btw Jamauk - what's your LID? Have you found RQ yet? i'd be happy to answer any questions you come up with.....oh, and I am from Olympia - originally

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Duh---my youngest was special needs--you would think I would know what "SN" meant. LOL. Actually, with our agency they just called them "waiting children". DS#2 (that's him in the pic) was born with a malformed right ear and is partially deaf.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I don't have any children, nor do I want any. But I wanted to commend you all and all the other adoption parents on the forum for your wonderful acts. There are so many children in this world waiting for a person to give them the love and care that you have shown your children. You are an inspiration to me. I applaud you all!

:clap:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Well, Nada, I can only speak for myself, but I have done nothing--I was waiting in this world for a child's love. It was my boys that left EVERYTHING they knew (sights, sounds, smells, people--everything) to give me this love. I just did a little paperwork! These children (especially waiting) inspire me!!! I always think that they give us WAY more than we will ever be able to give them.

Thank you for your kind words.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
btw Jamauk - what's your LID? Have you found RQ yet? i'd be happy to answer any questions you come up with.....oh, and I am from Olympia - originally
Hi! Our LID is 04/16/07. I go to RQ occassionally, but it usually just depresses me so I don't go often. I think DH goes there more than I do! :)

Do you get back to Olympia often? If so, we should meet up for coffee!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Nada, I can only speak for myself, but I have done nothing--I was waiting in this world for a child's love. It was my boys that left EVERYTHING they knew (sights, sounds, smells, people--everything) to give me this love. I just did a little paperwork! These children (especially waiting) inspire me!!! I always think that they give us WAY more than we will ever be able to give them.

Thank you for your kind words.
That's so true - and so amazing! While I have not adopted yet (my two boys are biological), I know many many adopted children (through our local adoptions support group) and their love is overwhelming. They seem so passionate ~ so resilient. They are truly inspiring - and I can't wait to get mine!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Guatemala '02 Fam here

I'm proud to jump in. My babies came home at four months of age from Guatemala. I can't imagine my life without my kids.

Jamauk--I'm so excited for you! :applause: The wait can kill you, and I know this doesn't help because it didn't when other parents said this to me, but, once you have your child, you won't remember the wait. Or I should say, it won't matter. Enjoy your time with your DH now and rest, pamper, and pamper yourself some more.

NadaLady, I too thank you for your comments, but in our case we're just another family that came together through adoption. There was nothing selfless about it. We just wanted to be parents and went about it a little less conventionally. :)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I think you are all special people and I want to thank you too. I understand that you don't think any thank you's are in order but I'm passing them on anyways.

I have a question but I don't want anyone to misunderstand and take it the wrong way. I believe people are people and I couldn't care less what part of the world you are from . But I want to why you adopted from outside the us?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for your kindly worded question. I've had it put quite rudely before, so your tact is appreciated. :)

Everyone's situation is SO different, but here is my answer for our family. My husband and I both suffer from infertility. After our 2nd miscarriage, and being married 9 years and in my early 30's, I knew I couldn't wait any longer to be a parent and decided that adoption would be the way we would build our family. (We'd been open to a baby, but not actively trying most of those years of marriage). I read as much as I could to understand the different types of adoption and came to find that most children in the foster care system in the US are often not adoptable, (reunification with the bio parents is the first priority, understandably). Often these children come with special emotional needs and years of abuse that takes a great amount of love, therapy and patience to overcome. My husband and I did not feel qualified, having not even been parents yet, to take on a troubled older child/young adult. (Definitely someday when our kids are late teens/grown, though, we would like to foster children using our years as parents and more settled life to help children in crisis).

Anyway, we looked into domestic adoption through the state, we were living in Washington DC and those were the social services we would have to go through. Upon our first visit, we were greeted with hostility and negativity by the social workers, who told us that we weren't the "right color" for the majority of the babies who would need families. Yes, that really happened. I understand it can be difficult for an African American child raised in a caucasian home, but we never got far enough into it to know if we would be up to dealing and we moved to looking at private adoptions.

We did not feel we could do an open adoption with much contact with a birth mother. And we did not want to wait possibly more years and have fees that were equal to International Adoption fees.

So, the ethical, well-known overseas programs were the option that fit our situation. Right now Guatemala is getting some bad press because of one unethical agency, and the changes they are implementing, but like so many things in the media it is half-wrong and entirely out of proportion.

So, way, way, more than you wanted to know? LOL

Anyway, that's our story and I hope it helps bridge more understanding as to why families turn to that option, when often it is reported in the media about so many children in the US who need homes. That is true. But what they don't report is the obstacles that can prevent those options for being available to many families for many reasons.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Thanks for your kindly worded question. I've had it put quite rudely before, so your tact is appreciated. :)I only asked becuase I was didnt know why , not because I wanted to be noisy or rude.

Often these children come with special emotional needs and years of abuse that takes a great amount of love, therapy and patience to overcome. My husband and I did not feel qualified, having not even been parents yet, to take on a troubled older child/young adult. Thanks, thats something I bet most people don't even think of.
Upon our first visit, we were greeted with hostility and negativity by the social workers, who told us that we weren't the "right color" for the majority of the babies who would need families. That makes me sad, love is love. I can't beleive a child would be denied a better life becuase of skin color.

Anyway, that's our story and I hope it helps bridge more understanding as to why families turn to that option, when often it is reported in the media about so many children in the US who need homes. That is true. But what they don't report is the obstacles that can prevent those options for being available to many families for many reasons.
Thank you for responding and yes that does answer my question. And now that I understand I hope I can help someone else who doesn't.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Our desire to adopt internationally started after years of infertillity (4 failed IVFs here).....anyway, Hubby really did not want to do a domestic adoption. He had seen to many occasions of birth mothers coming back, had heard of too many horror stories of open adoptions where every one knows everyone. Now, I am glad that there are parents willing to adopt children domestically, cause there is definitley a need for them, however, my husband was totally against it. Now, having said that, International Adoption became the best avenue for us to take. Once we begin to go down the IA route, it just kinda becomes "who you are". I would not change our path for anything......

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We, too, were scared away from the Domestic Adoption program. Some friends of ours were chosen to be adoptive parents, they went through the whole pregnancy, were there for the birth - got to hold the baby and when they went back the next day, the birth mother said she just couldn't do it. They were devestated.

DH just randomly struck up a conversation with a guy in line at Dunkin Donuts one day at the airport. Adoption came up and this guy and his wife had a child for 11 months and the birth mother came back and the courts awarded her custody. I couldn't handle that.

When we made the decision to adopt, it was right when Guatamela was getting the bad press, Africa has a lot of AIDS babies, and Russia seems to have a high proportion of Fetal Alchohol Syndrome babies. That pretty much left China for us (and we wanted a girl).

Now, I absolutely think raising a child with the above conditions is very honorable and these parents are NEEDED. We could adopt 10 of them without hesitation if we didn't already have children. However, we do have two children already and we felt it wasn't fair to them to knowingly bring another child into our family with a condition that would take an enormous amount of our attention & resources.

Having said that, if any one of our children should ever get sick, we would absolutely do anything at all that it takes to care for them - but as I stated above, we didn't think it fair to the children we already have to bring such a serious condition into our family.

I am always wiling to answer any questions anyone has - and its pretty easy to tell when someone is being curious vs just nosey! :) (and we've got some pretty good comebacks to those that are just nosey/rude!)

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
hen we made the decision to adopt, it was right when Guatamela was getting the bad press, Africa has a lot of AIDS babies, and Russia seems to have a high proportion of Fetal Alchohol Syndrome babies. That pretty much left China for us (and we wanted a girl).
FAS is a HUGE problem in Russia......having said that, my younger son has FAS, and he is truly the apple of my eye. That's my "baby" down below. And yes, he has the facial features to boot.

(btw-I am not offended, I'm just saying........:) )

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
FAS is a HUGE problem in Russia......having said that, my younger son has FAS, and he is truly the apple of my eye. That's my "baby" down below. And yes, he has the facial features to boot.

I think he looks like a fine boy! I bet he is a good son.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hi Traci,
I remembered that one of your boys had FAS, and I was hoping you weren't offended - that certainly wasn't my intent! :)

I'm curious, though. What kind of long term effects does FAS have? Also, did you have to take two trips to Russia for the adoptions? That was another reason we shied away from Russia - the expense of two trips.
Thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
and he is truly the apple of my eye. That's my "baby" down below. )
What a handsome boy. He's adorable. You must be so proud, IntlMom. :)
My son has Aspergers Syndrome, which makes all the milestones that much sweeter.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am always wiling to answer any questions anyone has - and its pretty easy to tell when someone is being curious vs just nosey! :) (and we've got some pretty good comebacks to those that are just nosey/rude!)
Care to share? :lol:

Especially when we were in the paperchase, I would just ask those who (rudely) asked "What about waiting children in the US?", how many waiting children they had adopted--given their "concern". Not one person had. And suddenly they wanted to change the subject. Wonder why? :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts