Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did you hear about frugal village? Someone posted a link on a blog I read from time to time.

What interests you here? I'd like to reduce my spending in some areas, looking for inspiration and tips.

What will you contribute? Whatever I can.

Do you know any other members here? Not that I know of.

How many kids? Ages? Four kids, age 16 to 6.

Tell us about yourself. I'm currently in school full time; I don't have much free time and my stress level is a bit high. Hoping that reducing spending will help it go down.

Do you own any pets? Many pets.

Occupation? Student. Before I went back to school, I taught ESL and did editing part time.

Married or single? Married.

Interests and hobbies? Reading, gardening, thrift shopping.

That's my intro. A persistent irritation in my life is the amount I am paying for cable/internet/phone. It is over $100 a month. I don't even want to have cable, but it's cheaper to have the three services bundled than to just have two. Makes me crazy! Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
:welcome2: Glad you have joined us.

As for the cable............shop around. Call them all in your area..........and ASK FOR SPECIALS. Check out the internet separate from the cable co's (then you could cancel the cable).......again, always ask for any specials that are having now.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hi and welcome!

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Hi and welcome from Florida! You will enjoy the time and everyone here.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Welcome!

Are you in an area with only one cable provider? If so, I feel your pain, as we are. How much would just the cable internet be through this company? You could change to using a cell phone and/or gmail phone and dropping the landline entirely. Traditional non-cable phone service could also be an option (AT&T, etc.).

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
If the people you call long distance have a computer all parties could download Skype and not only talk but see each other...cuts out the long distance. Just a thought..

·
27,948 Posts
Welcome! :apple:
Like others have said, call them and let them know you are thinking about canceling one or more of these as you are having a hard time justifying the expense of keeping them. Ask if there is anything they can do to help...worse they can say is no.
We had a problem with our cable going up so much & called and they put us on a special for digital cable that was cheaper than what we had. When that deal is up we'll be calling again and seeing if they can do better. We do have satellite alternatives here so they usually will work with you to keep you a cable customer. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I pay about $70 for basic cable, basic phone service and fios internet. It is not a bundled package. Unbundling sometimes seems to save money. Try and figure out what you really need. Can you watch any tv shows or movies for free on the internet. This can really help you save money on cable. Sure it all depends on the needs of the person or family. But when you strip everything down to as basic a service the better.

I am always really proud to tell a provider when they come to my door how much I pay for all three. Usually they are ready to tell me how I can save money by bundling but then they stop and realize how little I am paying and no their company can not save me any money even at their lowest package rate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.