Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the CBS Sundaymoring news they showed a report were they talked to 3 different "levels" or Iraqi society, to see how they felt about Saddam being out.

The "Elite" didn't him being gone felt they were worse off than before. These were healthy looking men who were college students standing around watching US troops clean up the school from the looters, and they were complaining that the school wasn't open. and NOT HELPING< JUST WATCHING!

Then they went to a "middle" class area and they felt they were worse off then before since they now had no jobs and have not had electricity for a while. The officer incharge answered with we had to work on getting security before we could work on electricity. It seemed to go right over the Iraq guys head all he was conserned about was =You give me a job and I will be fine.

And again no one was chipping in to fix stuff just standing around waiting for things to get done and complaining about it.

the 3rd group was the "Forgotten" they were apparently given nothing and "picked on" by Saddams rule so they said they were better off.

So my take is that under Sadam most were just given the things they had and don't know how to do for themselves.

So.... How do you teach that? Can it be taught? How can we get these people to jump in and pull them selves up?

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I don't think you can really just group people together like that or judge the actions of all by the actions of some...... I don't think you are trying to say that, but we have to be careful not to allow the media to make us believe that... I think people the world over want the same basic things and I believe that includes freedom.. But if they have never had it how are they to know how to use it ? They have much to learn and if we are to boast being the liberators, them it falls on us to teach them..... It's taken us over 200 years and we haven't got all of the bugs ironed out yet..... I think to just let them govern themselves at this point would be like showing a child where the car's gas peddle is and handing him the keys to the car.... They must try to break down social beariers, but having said that... Look at this country and how we classify people ......... It's not an easy task.... When will we ever learn ?????????

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I do not know if it can be taught. I do know you can not teach one who is unwilling to learn.
From what you posted, the ones who like him in power did not mind that it was on the backs of others.
I am not sure how we can help them build their nation, but one thing I do know from my own experience is, it will not get done by us doing it for them instead of with them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts