Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this co-worker, our receptionist, who, every time I walk past her desk has to tell me about something she bought or a shopping trip she's going on.

Today was no exception, she informed me that she was able to talk her husband into increasing her Black Friday shopping budget by 20%. I asked her if she was going Christmas shopping and she said it was just for whatever she wanted. I can only imagine how much the dollar amount is because the other day she told me about having an extra paycheck to go spend on whatever. She said it was around $1,300!

It's getting a little old....all she does is talk about buying stuff and then taking 150 items out of her closet to go buy new stuff. It goes on and on. I know her husband makes good money, I'm imagining a 6 figure salary and she has mentioned that her paycheck is just money for her to spend.

Sure, I like her, but I'm just tired of it. It almost seems like she's throwing it in my face. But, I don't think she means it. What do I say to her? I am living on half what I used to with the same bills because of the divorce and sure I spend money from time to time...but she talks about it every.single.day!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Maybe spending money is the only thing she has to talk about? Some people shop to fill voids in their lives.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I agree with Joseph...cut her off before or just as she's starting...talk about a reality tv show scandal or news story and take over the convo...hopefully she'll catch on :) Heh, start talking about how you're 're-purposing' things in your life (not to save money) and how you make a game of it....I bet she'll try to play this game as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
She sounds very shallow and boring. Personally, I'd just ignore her. I wouldn't even try to discuss other subjects because (I'm guessing) she'd probably just steer the subject back to her consumerism. :rolleyes:

This might sound weird, but I feel sorry for people like this. They have to buy self-esteem because they don't have any within themselves. :(

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Does she happen to be your size?! I'd be making friends with her. You could profit nicely when she clears out things to add more.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Some people just feel the need to flaunt it. Could be Insecure issue with her.She needs approval from others.I would maybe drop comments and say.Wow you do shop alot. What would you do if that money wasn't coming in any more.How would you survive.

Reactions: LuLuBleen
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.