Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't know where to put this thread... but...

I recently bought a convection oven. Does anyone else have one?
I love it.

I'm amazed how things cook so evenly, at a lower temp and quicker. This is my first expereince with a convection oven.

Home depot has a maytag for about 700 dollars unless you want stainless, which is more. It also has a ceramic glass top ( smooth top) and hidden burners in the oven so clean up is easy ( in case anyone is shopping for one)

do you have one?
how has it been going from regular oven to convection?

I'd never go back now ! YES, worth it !!!!
:)

·
Registered
266 Posts
if you're cooking at a lower temp, do the foods get as brown?
does that sound like a dumb question? idk

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes they get brown.

and they don't dry out... its just crazy how this works.

Its a oven and on the back wall there is a fan that blows around hot air.
The food cooks faster at a lower temp...
cooks to perfection.

who'd thunk something like this existed and worked so well?

;)
its all new to me and I love it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have been thinking about putting one in when we remodel the kitchen
does it really make THAT much of a difference?
could you ever go back?

·
Registered
626 Posts
yes they make THAT much of a difference or I wouldnt have started this thread !

This is amazing to me. Look on home depot site at a maytag convection ceramic top... its not any more than a non convection oven !!!

Maybe I just found a good deal at 699 ( non stainless steel one).
?
5. 3 cubic foot oven, convection with smooth top, MAYTAG brand

Amazon.com: Frigidaire FEB30T7FC 30in Double Wall Oven - Stainless Steel: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@312z3YDvF8L

You should see the toll house cookies I made....
so evenly cooked, so moist... you'd think they were Costco cookies they were so good !

I could go back if I had to...
people have to do what they have to do... but I'd put up a fight to keep my oven ;)

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I have a convection oven and rarely use it. Guess I'm just used to the older types, but I couldn't get things to cook well in it. Probably my fault.......

·
Registered
266 Posts
good point
for those of you WITH a CO
did you find there was a long "break in" period where you got used to using it?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would you say food cooks twice as fast? more or less?
( qoute)

to be specific:
the oven automatically adjusts the temp down 25 degrees when you select the CONVECT option ( vs the bake option)
and it says to check foods at the earliest possible time...
11-14 minutes, check at 11, its prolly done, with cookies I am finding its more like 9 minutes depending on the size of the cookie.
So it does use less energy and takes less time to cook.

Just got it so not sure how long to cook a roast or anything but in convection cooking you have to cook foods UNCOVERED.

It takes some playing around to see how it works because it doesn't work like a regular oven when using the CONVECT option.

I have made calzones in it ( see my pictures in the gallery) but no roast or turkey or anything yet. Only had it a few weeks.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I also have the convection and don't use mine! I tried, didn't like the way it cooked and so I just use the regular oven setting now.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gee, thats too bad...

They are a little harder to use because you have to learn how to use them.

My husband had one before I met him and he said he could never figure it out and didn't use his either.

When we got this one and I learned how it worked, I showed him... in the event he ever wants to cook something in the oven.

I really like it, the even-ness of the food can't be beat, especcially cookies, they are fantastic !

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
good point
for those of you WITH a CO
did you find there was a long "break in" period where you got used to using it?
No break in period for me. I have used commercial ones for years in different places of employment. That is why I wanted one.
Cooking time is not 1/2 the time but maybe 3/4 the time but you use lower temps. so you are saving in that area as well.
I usually only use mine for baking as I do not like the result I get when roasting.
Mine also has a probe that I use on my turkeys and stuff but it does not use the convection fan for this.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't currently have one, but did when I had my Deli. I love them for baking, cookies turn out so good. I can't wait to get one in my house.

·
Registered
645 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I love mine. My cookies are the best in my convection. My cookies only cook in 8 minutes instead of 13 and they are crisp on the outside but soft on the inside. If you are a baker it is a must. I can't believe people would say they have one but don't use it. I wish I could show you how great it is.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I bought one before Christmas. I love baking with it! I got the double oven, I love the little oven for lots of smaller things, it's got a toaster function as well so I can do things that a toaster oven could do, but would take me forever with a family of 6, in just a few minutes. Sor casseroles it is to temperature soooo fast it's not worth preheating. I use the little oven ALOT, dh didn't think we would. He now uses it too. The convection I use alot as well, I bake at least twice a week, and we do scratch pizza several times a month. Now I need to learn to parbake so that I can freeze pizze blanks, rolls and just finish them the day we need them

Amazon.com: Thermos PODC302 30" PROFESSIONAL SERIES DELUXE STAINLESS STEEL DOUBLE OVEN WITH ELECTRONIC DISPLAY AND TRUE CONVECTION: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@21JaYaS6OPL

The learning curve for me wasn't that it was convection, it was the new thermostat, my old one ran low, so I'm used to cranking the temp up. this one is better calibrated.

I have done roasting with it... Nothing like a roast smeared with an olive oil paste of seasonings in the convection. It is SO flavorful!!! Down side, is you don't get drippings for a gravy if you use for convection because it sears the outer so all the juices stay in the meat for s juicy succulent roast.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
When we remodeled our kitchen last year we put in double wall ovens. The top oven can be used as a convection oven or as a regular oven ~ I just adore it! I n convection mode, I can put stuff on three racks so I can do three pans of cookies. Yesterday I had three different side dishes baking for dinner. It makes things so easy and everything comes out nice and brown and evenly cooked. I won't say it is done any faster but it is at 25º lower than the recipe calls for :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts