Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are heading into another winter - brrrr.

I do not have a garage. The weather is fairly mild in my area, but we do get occasional snow and I have to scrape ice off my car sometimes. It tend to be cold and damp for many months. I don't really like being cold to start off my day.

I would appreciate input on whether or not a remote car starter is worth the money.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I don't have one now, no need for one in Florida, but when I lived in PA I had one and it was worth it to me. DD was little, and it was nice having a warm car to get into in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
I like mine. One thing to remember. . You're getting 0mpg as long as that car is running.
So while they are nice to have, they can hurt your gas budget.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Totally worth it. First one I had was 'after market' and kinda cheap and it ended up being exactly that. It only worked when it wanted to. My second one, I paid the full retail price from the dealer to have them put it in. Their product and they know how to install it right the first time. It has worked perfectly for 8+ yrs and still going. :) Great for winter to help warm up the car and defrost windshield but handy in summer to help cool off the car as well.

And as Russ said it will also help you burn through your gas tank a lot quicker but for me, totally worth it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think it depends on the climate where you live. I live in a region that experiences harsh, cold winters with frequent snow, so the cost would be worth it to me if I did not have a garage. Dealing with a cold, snow/ice covered car every morning gets really old, really fast.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same as the other posts,priceless in a cold,snowy area.Son is in the auto-repair biz,just be sure its installed correctly or it can destroy a starter.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Worth every penny. It's wonderful in the winter.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I love mine. I think I love it more during the summer but I don't have to go out every morning, if I did I would probably love it in the winter more :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts