Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is a doula, what is involved? what does it take to become a doula? what is the legal issues surrounding?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I went in with my neice when she delivered her last son 7 yrs ago. She had a doula in training in there too. After her delivery the doula asked me if I'd ever thought about being a doula. She said I did great. Well I've always loved babies(had 5 of my own). I've always enjoyed the process of delivery too. Well about a year ago there was a doula training program in our area and I attended. I enjoyed it very much and learned so much! All I need to do know is practice and then take a test. I'm kinda stalled right now because of some minor health issues. I'm not totally sure I want to go ahead with it. I'm very disturbed by everyone having C-sections! They are wonderful when they are truely needed but way over used. My daughter and 2 daughter-in-laws had them for their first babies. My daughter went on to have her second child V-Back. The folks I went with are called Alace.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi! I am a doula and have been practicing for almost 2 years. Pretty much anyone can be a doula, really, as it's not a regulated profession...but if you want credibility you are best to take a training workshop through an established organization (ALACE, DONA, ICEA, etc) and then work for your certification. My certification work includes attending a certain number of births as primary support (not shadowing, but shadowing is also invaluable!), an extensive written exam (some short answers and about 18 mini-essays), written evaluations from mothers I've supported and/or nurses/OBs/Midwives who were at the birth also and a slew of self-evaluation write-ups. There is also a HUGE reading list of birth texts and books that are required - this can be expensive, as many are pretty much essential to own (and makes a great lending library to offer clients, too). After that I am required to take a certain number of continuing ed workshops or courses each year to keep my knowledge and skills current.

As for what the job entails, I don't have any liability insurance myself since the doula scope of practice does not involve ANY medical care whatsoever. My role is to be a resource for informed choice and education, emotional support, and physical support. You have to be willing to be on-call for several weeks surrounding each client's EDD, and make sure you are always available. You have to have on-call childcare, as well as backup childcare just in case. Backup doula support in case your children are sick or whatever and you can't make it. Other than that, you need the right attitude, demeanour, professionalism, and dedication! :)

I love, love, love my work as a doula and it's the kind of thing I would do even if there were no money in it. I am passionate about birth advocacy! If you want to know more, please PM me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts