Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone is interested in discussing sketching, painting, etc.

I like show and tell, but I am also interested in talking more in depth about making art. I would like to talk about making art from a frugal perspective. Art supplies can be expensive, but they do not need to be. On the other hand, maybe you are frugal so you have a little bit more to spend on little luxuries. And art supplies might be some of those luxuries.

I have gone both ways on this.

Lately I have been practicing teaching myself to draw. I got a set of drawing pencils. They have different hardness levels for shading. The harder the pencil is, the lighter it draws. I think it was around $8. I also got a sketchbook which was only around $5. Technically I could dry just fine on regular paper, but I wanted a sketchbook, and they are not very expensive.

Sketching in black and white is a really cheap hobby. I could have also chosen to use a pen for sketching. A nice sketch pen or small set of pens would cost about the same as my pencils.

If you are looking for a hobby, but have very little to spend on it, sketching is good choice.

On the other hand, I did splurge early this year for an expensive set of colored pencils. But it takes a lot of drawing to use up a pencil. I tend to price things by how long they last. Expensive things that last a long time are cheaper in the long run than inexpensive stuff that does not last as long. So the pencils were expensive, but they were also inexpensive because they will last a long time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When it comes to saving money on paint, especially for beginners, acrylic is the way to go. You can often buy in bulk for cheap and they work on so much material.
When I first moved out and had next to nothing except for a pack of nice brushes, about 30 aging acrylic paint bottles from my dead grandmother and millions of boxes, I often painted on cardboard. many of my favorite paintings I have in my home are on cardboard or cheap mounted canvas from walmart.
If you're handy, it's even better to buy a roll of canvas and mount your own, it's simple enough if you want to do it.
I buy most of my paints online, in kits to get variations of colors, buying singles is usually more expensive. Amazon review trader also has a bunch of small paint sets you can get for a really good discount.

If I had the money, I would only use oil. Water color is beautiful but quality is what makes it and usually good watercolors cost so much money. *___* but I do burn through a set of watercolor pencils at least once every couple of months.

What do you like to paint?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You must paint and draw quit a bit more than me. I have never used up a set of pencils. From my perspective, pencils last quite a long time.

I do more drawing than painting. I tend to draw mostly with colored pencils and black sketching pencils. I have done a little bit with watercolor. I like the sets that have a pallet of dry cubes. I have one set that I picked up for about $30. It is a travel set, which means the cubes of paint are smaller, but I have a good selection of colors. It is pretty good quality. It also comes with a little tray used for mixing colors. I also picked up a cheap set for around $9 that I did not care for. I think this is another set that will last a while. So far, I have only done about half a dozen small pictures. There are tiny dents in the cubes for my most used colors, but I think they will last a long time.

One of the things I like about water color is that I can use watercolor paper which is cheaper and easier than a canvas.

Portability is a big issue for me. I do a good chunk of my art away from home. Some days at work are very busy, but other days I have significant free time at work. I sketch some at work. My supervisor is okay with it, but I think pulling out paints and canvas would be pushing it. I have occasionally done water color painting outside during my lunch hour. I have a water brush. It is about the size of a marker, but it holds water inside. I can paint without having to dip a brush in water. I have a little lapboard I put the paper and paint tray on.

I also like being able to just sit on the couch or chair at home and sketch in my sketchbook with pencils.

Currently I have been drawing roses, but I will be adding other flowers to the list. I am just learning, so I have been taking one thing and drawing it over an over for practice. I have gotten pretty good at shading for black and white drawings. Now I am starting to work with color pencils.

Also on my list is learning how to draw dragons. Just a *little* more complicated than a rose. So one relatively easy thing to draw for confidence building and one thing to challenge me.

I am also interested in drawing or painting landscapes. This is so very different from individual flowers, where I draw each petal or leaf. I tried a landscape, but it looked a bit like several blobs of green. I think I will hold of on that for bit. I already have two things I am doing and I am still a beginner at things like shading and color mixing. I do not want to overwhelm myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts