Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1979 Porche 911 lying in my garage which my husband is in the process of restoring. It's almost done now and we plan to use it once in a while. Someone told me that classic car insurance is cheaper than regular insurance. What is your experience?

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
It is cheaper. I'm not sure by how much but we have a 1974 Z28 that dh has classic car insurance on. I do know *why* it's cheaper...because it is driven less there's less a chance for an accident to happen. I think it has to be driven less than a certain amt of miles per year to qualify.

Reactions: Gabe

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
It's been a while but I remember the same as YankeeMom, it can be cheaper but there is a ridiculously low mileage limit on it. The ins co assumes your are keeping it garaged 90% of the time.

Best thing to do is call your insurer for a quote.

Reactions: Gabe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t think DH plans to use this car as a daily driver as we already own two more! This is more of fun stuff that he’s been wanting to do for a long time and finally got around to. Any companies you can recommend for classic insurance? Thanks for your inputs; do keep ‘em coming.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Okay, talked to dh. At first he did have historical car insurance (Haggerty ins. co.) but the mileage restrictions were ridiculous. You could only drive the car to & from car shows, in parades, and the like. NO pleasure driving at all. This is NY tho, it may be different for your state.

We use USAA now, non-historical car insurance because we like to drive it in the nice weather :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
There are a number of providers of insurance for this, and if you contact an independent agent, they should be able to compare the terms of a number of different policies. I think that Farmers also has this type of coverage. They all have restrictions on usage, which is the trade-off for the low premium. You have to decide how you will be using your classic car, to see what makes sense for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most of the time the restrictions placed on driving the vehicle outway the savings. When we had it on our 1968 SuperBee, it could only be driven to/from car shows, parades or car club meetings. The insurance company checked the mileage yearly to make sure we weren't driving it more than was allowed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.