Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to me I can remember getting flour and sugar for 99c a bag just a couple years ago. Sure, it was a 1-per-person deal, one day only, but it was there. And cream cheese for 99c, too, among other baking things. This year sugar is 1.98 and flour is 2.19. Cake mix and canned pineapple both over a dollar. Yeah, I know prices have gone up.

Are the sales bad in your area or is it just my stores?

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Sunfresh had Philadelphia cream cheese for 99 cents. I really need sugar and missed the last HyVee sugar sale.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Our market basket has good sales, I picked up:

Dole canned pineapple 99¢
Betty Crocker cake mix $1
Lasagna noodles $1 lb
Francesco Rinaldi pasta sauce $1
3 over-the-hill artichokes for 99¢ total
King Arthur flour, bread and regular 5lbs $2.50

at another grocery:

4 pkgs Phila cream cheese $1.29 each (have a killer cheesecake recipe)
Prince small shell pasta 88¢
Cains mayo $2.50

Everything was on sale and I used coupons if I had them :)

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Last week there was some good produce prices (hadn't had decent prices for weeks in produce), this week not so much. Last week I even got some beets for 50 cents a can (which was crazy cheap, serious loss leader there), though that might be a regional thing for Easter with red beet eggs.

I was extremely disappointed with the flyers for sales starting today. There was absolutely nothing I would call a sale, maybe ham, but I would not feel like I walked away with a deal in any way. Nothing in the way of baking supplies, or for fresh fruits and vegetables (with the exception of kale).

There was however their pre-made cakes, fruit platters, deli platters, seafood trays, etc. Our ads had plenty of that stuff advertised. None of which are frugal in any way.

Reactions: Lora88

·
19,119 Posts
Our prices are totally over the top and only going higher.

·
19,119 Posts
Oh, I did get a ham for 99 cents a pound last week - amazing price!!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I remember always getting eggs on sale or mere pocket change or free with purchase.

Not a real sale anywhere to be had

The one I went with was buy two dozen eggs for $1.29 (20 cents over what I normally spend) and get two redbox rentals.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I try not to look back on what prices used to be. Those days are gone and I've resigned myself to the new reality. I'm focusing on adjusting our eating habits in order to cut costs, or at least eat better.

I did notice rye flour has gone nuts lately. The cheapest I've seen it is $1/pound. That's discouraging. I don't use it often but like to keep some on hand.

And sugar has gone up ten cents a pound, but then again it was a name brand, so maybe the house brand will be on sale cheaper.

Prices fluctuate so much it's hard to pin down the absolute lowest.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ham shoulders have been on sale for a couple of weeks around here. At .89 a lb. I bought 5. I always stock up a Easter and Christmas to have cheap ham all year long.

Other deals were.

fresh pineapple 2/$3.00
fresh green beans .99 lb
cream cheese .79
sugar was 2.99 for domino and I used a coupon.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I was expecting ham sales, the norm for Easter. I didn't find any I thought it was worth driving to the store for, so I just skipped grocery shopping this week. There were some things on sale for decent prices, but nothing that I particularly needed. Also very little in the way of produce on sale. It's like the stores basically ignored Easter this this.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Homekeepn,

That's an amazing price on pineapple! Just unbelievable. and cream cheese too! Wow! I'll bet you could have danced a jig!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Paid .77 a dozen for eggs limit 10 so i got 4. Had hams and corned beef put away.
Got brownie bites for .99 a box so I may make them.

I was hoping for cheap cresent rolls but no.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Prices fluctuate so much it's hard to pin down the absolute lowest.
AGREED! I can't tell you how many times I've thought a sale prices was good, only to see it cheaper at another store (of course, its after I've purchased at the higher sale price). It seems impossible to get the best deals unless you can shop several stores each week & constantly update your "price book".

Rather disappointed in the sale prices for Easter here, but there were a few deals.

Del Monte canned pineapple BOGO = $1.29 for 2
a dozen eggs .19 w/1 greenbac
Gold Medal 2oz vanilla extract $2.50
store brand flour 5lbs $1.99
Pillsbury cresent rolls $1.67 (3/$5) - .40 coupon off 2 (doubled)= $1.27ea
Muellers pasta (selected varieties) 4/$5
Green Giant canned veggies 2/$1 or store brand 2/.79
(I splurged on the Del Monte to get no salt added at 2/$1.20.)
Fresh snap beans (green beans) .99lb

·
Registered
663 Posts
It is not just in your area. Last year, at Easter time, I bought a 5 lb bag of sugar for 25 cents (it was on sale for 99 cents and I had a coupon). I'm down to the last dregs of it and the replacement (generic brand that I'm not fond of) was $2.19. Cream cheese was $1.89 (again, generic brand). We're not even having ham this year as I could not find any under a $1 per pound like last year.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I kept waiting for some fantastic sale, at least on eggs but it never happened. They discounted things but not by much. I was pretty disappointed.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I only shop the sales now. This week there were a few good sales that I plan to take advantage of. I am going to buy some soda pop - the generic is 69 cents for a 2 L bottle -lowest I have seen in at least a year. I got carrots inexpensively and am planning to get crushed pineapple for 79 cents.

I seem to recall better sales in the past as well - crescent roll for 99 cents for example - this year they are $1.49!

Reactions: CrazyHomemaker

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I was able to get a great deal on some canned fruit this week (pineapple + mandarin oranges) and was able to get 2 fresh pineapples for .99 each. And some bags of chocolate chips (these freeze great)

It feels like prices are up across the board. Just trying to shop sales and stock pile as much as I can

·
Registered
871 Posts
I was at the grocery store this afternoon. I opted for having a late breakfast this year instead of having everyone for dinner. I was almost depressed to see the prices of what I was having to buy. Bacon was 7.99 for 2 pounds and the "Grand" biscuits were $8 for 2 bags....needless to say....I'm making my biscuits and I didn't buy bacon at that store....prices are really high....

·
Registered
348 Posts
It seems that our area skipped out on the Easter sales, too. DH went shopping with me yesterday. We were going to get a ham. The hams weren't out in the aisle cooler like they used to be. DH mentioned that to me! So, he went scouting for them. Found them in the place they normally are with no extras to mention on the shelf. The price wasn't all that great, either. $1.19 a pound. We got a shank end, which was cheaper. I was almost resigned to getting a pork loin or something else. DH loves his ham!

Here's my food deal of the week. 2 Dole cans of pineapple for $1.65 BOGO. Had a 50 cent coupon which doubled. 65 cents for 2 cans of pineapple.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
the price of food is just so ridiculous now I make every holiday for my family were are 10 adults and whoever tags along that doesnt have anywhere else to go its usuallly just one person this year its 2 I spent easily 300.00 for this years easter buffet getting to the point that having a holiday is getting prohibitive

1 - 20 of 23 Posts