Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't want to take my down comfortor to the dry cleaners if I can avoid it. For one, it sounds like it'll cost me an arm and a leg to get it dry cleaned. The second reason is that I try to avoid having ANYTHING dry cleaned at all costs to avoid the chemicals.

Is it possible to wash a down comfortor at home?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yes I have done it several times with no problem.

I was it on gentle and occasionally had to rinse it twice because the soap hadn't seemed to get completely out.

Then stick it in the dry with a couple of clean tennis shoes (you can wash them with the comforter) and they dry away. Run it through two or three dry cycles. You don't want the tinniest bit of wet left.
The shoes will beat and fluff the comforter as it drys. They do pop the door open alot however; so you may need to duct tape it shut.

Thanks
Christine

Reactions: acidcookie

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I was wondering the same thing! I too want to avoid dry cleaning chemicals.

When I wash my down coat, I use tennis ball instead of shoes. I've never had them knock the door open.

But I read in Green Housekeeping (my new favorite book) that she keeps the tennis balls (or other objects) out and the results were just fine.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I don't put any objects in with mine and they do fine in the dryer. I do want to say make sure you clean the lint trap (check it even between the 1st and 2nd run) afterwards. The down tends to fluff out. This was actually why I stopped putting things in with mine as I seemed to lose more of the down.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Awesome! Im going to try washing mine! I have always drycleaned...but washing would be so much cheaper!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I put mine out to dry in the sun and it fluffs back up fine. I don't know many geese who get dry cleaned and their feathers seem to do okay!

·
8,714 Posts
~I just did mine 2 weeks ago. Use Woolite or a gentle detergent. Regular detergents can mess up the oils in the feathers. And you can skip the dryer altogether. I laid mine out over my patio table and let the sun dry it. I put down an old shower curtain underneath it. You can also lay it out on your lawn. Just flip it after 4 or 5 hours. If it needs some fluffing you can use a low heat setting and some clean shoes in your dryer for 15-20 minutes. I didn't need to.~

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've washed mine several times - and dried it in dryer - it worked well - the only problem I've had is the machine became unbalanced and I had to rearrange the comforter but then it worked well.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Yes I do it all the time. You'll have to continuously beat or readjust the comforter in the dryer to get it to dry.
But yes. you can do it

·
Registered
318 Posts
I washed mine many times as well. Also down filled coat. I wash my feather bed pillows as well. I hang outside till pretty well dry, then fluff in the dryer for a few - it's always worked fine

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You all are WONDERFUL! Thank you so much for your insightful answers! I appreciate it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts