Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
If you happen to need tires this year, it's worth it. They have great tire service at my Costco.
I also agree with the Kirkland brand. It is top notch. I have never found a better can of tuna than Kirkland brand.
I just went over the weekend and stocked up on tp. I'm hoping it's better than the deals I get at the grocery store. It always seems to last longer than a "normal" roll.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There are only a few things I regularly buy at Costco (we don't pay for our membership), so it's a tossup whether it's worth it for me. You really have to know your prices--lots of things are cheaper at Winco. Too many people assume that it's a good deal just because it's Costco . . . and don't even get me started on all the silly stuff I see people loading in their carts there!

The quality is generally good, prices OK, but it can be a pretty tempting store and an easy place to waste money. All in all, if I had to pay for my own membership I don't think I would.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I work for BJ's so I may be a little biased.

I used to have a membership to Costco and I really like their store, but our store didn't sell gas and they didn't take coupons. So I didn't really end up going there enough to get my moneys worth. The quality of their products and their store brand is excellent, though.

BJ's (if you have one near you) has been great for me too. The selection is smaller, but you can also buy smaller packaged products. Also you can use multiple coupons. The membership is currently $45 a year, but you can still shop there without being a member, you just have to pay a 15% surcharge.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I haven't been in a Costco lately, but I really had to double check the prices,and compare them to Winco. I could usually, especially on canned food, get a better deal at Winco. Some other things like pharmacy OTC items are good in price. I also like some of the bakery items. Just check and double check your prices, to make sure you are getting the BEST deal.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Unfortunately I have a Sam's membership. My dad wanted chairs that only Sam's sold. The savings on the chairs alone made up for the membership on its first purchase. I am doing a lil study - I am seeing how much I spend in a year and how much I truly do save. I renewed the membership and so far have saved $15 from one purchase. Thats only $35 more to go and its only early February.

On the flipside, my boss has a membership at Costco and the meat and produce is MUCH better there then Sam's. Also its more crowded but I find the products to be better priced and quality - both name and store brands. I have gone with my boss twice since November - once for Christmas gifts and once for vitamins. I think I've saved more at Costco simply b/c they offer what "I" need/use/want.

As others have said - take the freebie one day non member pass and take a tour. I know when I tried to do that here, when it came time to actually BUY anything you had to BUY a membership before being able to buy anything so be sure to look into that BEFORE you go in.

I prefer Costco over Sam's. I think the memberships are interchangeable between Canada and USA. I know the Sam's in the US is better then here in Canada. :(

·
Registered
125 Posts
I may be partial to warehouse type clubs, since I am a manager with BJ's but I think for the most part it is a good value to get the membership. I am unsure of Costco since I obviously don't shop there, but with BJ's we accept our own coupons stacked with manufacturer coupons--and if you get REALLY lucky the item has an instant rebate (I take high advantage of those deals).

I agree with other posters here....See if you can go in and take a look around...then make note of prices and come home and compare. You need to be a savvy shopper to get the good deals, but there are MANY to be had at the warehouse clubs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I work for BJ's so I may be a little biased.

I used to have a membership to Costco and I really like their store, but our store didn't sell gas and they didn't take coupons. So I didn't really end up going there enough to get my moneys worth. The quality of their products and their store brand is excellent, though.

BJ's (if you have one near you) has been great for me too. The selection is smaller, but you can also buy smaller packaged products. Also you can use multiple coupons. The membership is currently $45 a year, but you can still shop there without being a member, you just have to pay a 15% surcharge.

I hope this helps
Hello fellow BJ's employee!!! I am the CSM manager at my club and have been there for almost 5 years (since we opened here). Unfortunately I am about to make the dreaded sick call into an overnight manager tonight...I really enjoy my job, but there is no way to function the way I am feeling :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a membership to SAMS club and it is great!! I always purchase my flour, sugar, spices in large quantities. Also they have the meats, (sandwich ham, bacon, kielbasa and such) in larger quantities. Not to mention I get the large bags of onions, potatoes, carrots and fruit when they look good. I think for our family it is well worth it!

·
Registered
626 Posts
yes worth it for me

I feel its worth it just for dog food and paper products ( tiolet paper, paper towels)... you can also have 2 people on a membership and may consider spiltting the membership with a neighbor or friend.

The negative issue about this is storage as buying in bulk means storing things and if you don't store them right ( they get wet or damaged) or the stock is invading your living space and overtaking it.. it may not be for you.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I actually just went with a friend to see if it would save me money. I didn't buy anything, I just took my price book and looked at everything. We went to both Costco & Sam's Club. We found that Sam's Club here had the better deals. However, the closest of either is about 45 miles away, so we can't shop there weekly.

But I calculated everything and found that if I shop there 4 times a year, and just buy my basics, like flour, sugar, coffee, creamer, etc. I will save over $400 there (that is the cost savings after paying for the membership, too). Plus, I talked to a couple of other neighbors and 4 of us are going to all go up together. We all have vans or trucks, so we will each only have to drive once, therefore saving the gas. So for us, it will be worth it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've shopped at Costco, BJs and Sams. I don't really like Sams in comparison to the other 2. BJs has a better selection of smaller sized grocery items than Costco and I love their coupon policy. I moved from the east coast to Seattle and we don't have BJs here so now I shop at Costco (Costco trivia - Seattle is the home of Costco, and their store brand Kirkland is named after a town in the Seattle area).

I do think that overall the quality of items of Costco is top notch. I highly recommend their rotisserie chickens - they are the best we've had, and much larger than the ones at the grocery store - for $4.99. Costco also sells discounted movie tickets, we can see an evening movie for the price of an matinee with these.

They have amazing customer service and a fantastic return policy - they stand behind everything they sell. They also treat their employees really well and that is important to me.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I personally don't care for costco. There just isn't enough things I'd purchase to make it worth it. I do have a Sam's membership, but dh's work pays for it. I got the free spouse card that came with the corporate membership.

I found something I wanted to buy from costco. A new bread machine. I debated on getting a membership so I could buy it.

I did not get the membership. I paid a 5% surcharge for not having one, which was only $4.25.

I acutally saved $45 doing it that way, since I really didn't want the membership to start with.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My father had both cards so he put me on as his spouse for each card even though we live in different states. I just let him put his address so it all worked out. My mom doesn't go without my dad so she has no problem with him switching everything to me. YAY for free memberships!

I perfer Costco's to Sams.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I mooch trips with my mom because she has a card for her daycare.

I think their meat prices are very good compared to my local stores. I like that they have different items than my regular grocery store too.

·
Registered
6 Posts

We used to have a Sams membership for several years, until we changed to Costco last year. I can only speak for myself when saying this, but every time I go to a club store I buy way to much! Everytime I leave our bill is over a hundred dollars. Sure you can find some good deals, but I am giving up our membership at the end of this month when it is due again. If I want something from there I will go with my parents or a friend. It just isnt worth the extra money.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I had one but it has exspired . I liked cosco ,but I had to drive over an hour to go there. my neice will go some times and I ask her to pick spmething up for me.

·
Registered
626 Posts
today I went to costco... here is some of what I got.

case of campbells mushroom soup 5.97

swiss miss hot chocolate mix - 60 indiv. packets 1.97

lysol air srpay, citrus scent... 3 huge bottles- 5.97

soft scrub, 3 pack... 4.97

3 pounds kirkland brand tortilla chips
( its a corn chip) with sea salt- 3.97

kirkland brand professional makeup brushes, 14 peice set- 12.00

stove top stuffing, a case ( 6 packs I think)- 1.97

a rotessie chicken- 4.99

a honeydew melon 3.50

12 pack variety pack breakfast danish 6.99

·
Registered
460 Posts
We just got a Costco membership. I think it will benefit us in the long run. Some things that I thought were a great deal, 15 boxes of Annies Mac and cheese were 9.99. They are $2 a box at Kroger!

We also use 100% maple syrup for our waffles/pancakes. It is pretty pricey, usually around $5 for a small bottle. I got a big jug for $19.99 at Costco. Also, their 1/2 sheet cakes are really good and are only $15.99. (Kroger charges $40 for that size PLUS whatever decoration you put on it.) Since I have 4 kids and we always get a bakery cake as a special treat for their bday, $15.99 is a good deal.

I also go 6 hearts of Romaine for about $3. Milk was $2.79 a gallon, I haven't seen milk that cheap in a while, it has been $3.50+ at Kroger for months.

Some things I didn't think were worth the price, $7 for 2 average size jugs of Kirkland diswasher detergent. I can get name brand for cheaper when I use coupons.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I know Costco will fully refund the price of your membership if you aren't satisfied at any time.
I was treated rudely by the card checker on the way in one time. I went to the customer service desk and told them I wanted to cancel my membership and why. The manager refunded my membership fee but kept my account active. That gave me a year to shop there free and that told me that Costco doesn't work well for a single person. I didn't re-up when my membership ran out.

UKBB

21 - 40 of 44 Posts