Frugal Village Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Costco - worth it to me

I looovvve Costco. We built a home in 06/07, and Costco was a huge help in getting us in under budget. We purchased granite countertops (saved over $6,000), toilets, faucets, fireplace, TV, cfl lightbulbs for the whole house, DDs bed & dresser, silverware, coffee maker (save me from Starbucks), etc. I have found great deals on holiday dresses (ususally $15-20) for DDs, clothes for DH (undershirts, socks, jeans ). The couple of times I have had to return something it has been super easy. I regularly shop there for staple items (eggs, milk, bananas, meat, kirkland laundry detergent, and chicken breast). I love that they now have chicken breasts in multi-pacs like ground beef. I would recommend Costco for regular shopping, but especially for anyone who is working on their home. We also get our gas from Costco. Since we knew we would be spending a lot in building the house, we upgraded our membership to Executive Membership with AmEx CC that we pay off each month. We got 2.5% rebate back from Costco and (3-1%) back from our AmEx. Hope this helps. BTW I do not work for Costco, but I should.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Costco works for me

Currently the Costco I frequent has gas 20 cents cheaper than the average elsewhere in town, so that's my main focus, but there are other pluses, as well as some minuses.

Pedigree dog food is was $18.59 for 52 pounds while I found a 40 pound bag for almost the same price at Walmart. 12 pounds of food is about 10 extra days of feeding per bag.

The granola at Costco rocks! It's full of lots of healthy stuff but isn't exactly low in fat or calories; like anything, you can definitely overdo it, but I find that I can get nearly a month of servings out of one carton. It's kind of addictive....

The fresh veggies are almost always an amazingly good deal as well as frozen foods.

It's easy to have a huge bill at checkout, because even though the buys are a good deal per serving, you are getting a whole lot of servings per item, so they add up fast.

I'd say, do your research and limit yourself to a list and you'll do fine. The savings on dog food and gas alone are worth the price of a membership to me and you can split the fee with a friend/family member because you get two membership cards per account.

I have no idea about Sam's Club, but the gas prices usually are pretty comparable with Costco, so maybe that would work if you were more inclined towards that company.

Jo

·
Registered
37 Posts
I adore Costco. If nothing else, milk in my neighborhood runs $3.59 per gallon, at Costco it's $2.99 per gallon. We go through so much that milk alone makes the membership worth it. I love everything else about Costco too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You have so many replies you may never get around to reading mine! lol.
But I had to say, my costco card is completely worth it.

#1 - We are a family of 6 and I shop 3 x a month max.

#2 - The city I shop in is hard pressed for good deals, it's pretty spendy generally.

I actually just upgraded to executive membership, when I found out, if I had done that a year ago I would have gotten a $70 dollar Costco gift card as my reward this year, based on my spending. That would amount to a $20 yearly membership fee, and the savings blow that out of the water. I especially love their produce. It's a flat fee and good quality. It's the best savings, on most things, in my area. I suppose it is very relative to where you live.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts