Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone here can help me figure this out. A few weeks ago my Bulldog puppy, probably 8 or 9 weeks at the time, got up in the morning, I took him outside came in the house and all of a sudden he seemed like he was about to vomit. His chest and belly was making that jerking that they do right before they vomit but he was also walking. All of a sudden he fell over and his legs were stiff and jerking, he had worked his way under the table so I pulled him out and it stopped. This was about 5:00 in the morning. My husband came downstairs and I told him about it and we decided he probably picked something up and was choking on it.
He is now 14 weeks old and this morning about 5:30 am he strted to act like he was going to vomit and the same thing happened except that after he was walking and making that jerking like he was going to vomit his legs went out from under him and he was sprawled out on his belly, then rolled over with his legs stiff and jerking, his eyes rolled to the back off his head and he was foaming at the mouth. I immediately called my husband to come but by the time he got there it was over. The whoe thing probably lasted a minute to a minute and a half. When he saw my husband he got up and ran to him happy to see him. But after he just sat by my leg while I petted him real calm. He usually is not that calm in the morning.
Also, there was a strange smell coming from him, maybe it was the foaming at the mouth? It's not a urine smell. And a few times when I got up in the morning his crate smelled the same way.
Could he have had a grand mal seizure? Could he be having seizures at night in his crate?
I appreciate any help! I am very worried being that he is only 14 weeks old. He has not had any injuries or gotten into any poisions. We feed him a raw diet and he came from a reputable breeder.
thank You so much for any advice!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I would take him to the vet, those do sound like seizures and he may be seizing at night. Better safe than sorry! Prayers for your pup and for you!

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
So sorry that is happening to your little dog. I wonder if pets can take medication to control the seizures like humans do.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I am sorry this is happening to your puppy but I agree I would take him to a vet, they can diagnose the problem and give him some medication to treat/prevent future episodes. I hope everything turns out well and please let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Take him to the vet asap. My beagle has epilepsy and the seizures are frightening. He was only having about 2 a year, but now he's been having about two a month. My vet said if they start to increase in frequency (the seizures) he'll probably have to go on medication.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I had a dog who had seizures and it sounds just like one to me. Take him to the vet. Do you know where your puppy came from? My lab/shepherd mix had them and so did his brothers and sisters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You for everyones responses! We are going to call the breeder today to find out if any of the other puppies have been having any seizures.
This is just so strange because he is very healthy otherwise.
We are going to take him to the vet and see what he says. I am hoping he wont have to be on medication. I hear it is damaging to their liver.
JJoy and Pkelly, did your pups have the seizures when they were puppies?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bumplet, Thank you for the web sites. I got some good info from them. The second one you mentioned about the thyroid is interesting because I also have a 10 year old bulldog with Hypothyroidism. She does not have seizures though.

·
Registered
674 Posts
My sister has a dog with a seizure disorder. The dog has been on medication for many years now. She is 14 years old.

This is just my opinion but I believe that dogs need really good dog food. I do not believe that any dog should be eating dog food where the first ingredient is corn. Corn is very allergenic for dogs. Some humans have reduced their seizures by finding the foods that they are allergic to and eliminating them from their diets.

I do not wish to offend anyone by my post. I have a child with food allergies who is very sensitive to certain foods. I have read many things about food allergies during the past 10 years.

My dog is on Wysong. It is an all natural dog food. I am very happy with it.

Please let us know what the Vet says.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I would call you vet to get their opinion. I hope your pet is ok. I know it is scary because it happened to our dog a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Sounds like it to me. I had a poodle that was on seizure medication, she was okay.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
My beagles seizures started when he was 1 1/2 yrs old. He is now 6. Other than the epilepsy he is very healthy, but as I said... they are becoming more frequent and lasting longer :(

·
Registered
473 Posts
Let us know what the vet says. !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts