Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That you follow as far as guidelines on what you should have for each person in your family?

I've read through a good many of the old threads on here and of course I can't find the ones that I know I read that gave ideas on how much of everything you should have for each family member. I know the water amounts....its just everything else.

Also, how do you stock up on prescription meds? My DH takes a blood pressure medicine and has had to go off it for a couple of days due to an allergy test and well, it's not good for him to be off of it. I have no idea how to go about stocking up on something like that.

I'm trying to work on this and rearrange things so that I can. I'm not at a panic point yet...but I easily could be. There are 5 people in my house and I KNOW I don't have enough of ANYTHING should something happen.

Just wondering if there is a definitive list/site that you all follow. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Although I do not know about which thread it would be for preparedness, there is an excellent book that has all of the amounts for practically anything: Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook you can see that book plus others on that page of my website.

I have the book and it is pretty good. I would suggest seeing if it is at your local library first.

Regarding prescription medicine, that is a harder nut to crack. Usually you can only get medicine up to 3 months in advance. And most medicine expires after a year. I think you would need to talk to a doctor to find out if the medicine you DH uses could actually last longer than a year AND if they could write out a prescription for a year. I'd bet you would have to pay out of pocket as the insurance companies would not pay for it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Grainlady had posted a website for me to figure out how much I needed to can for each person, but I can't find it now, maybe someone else can help. I will keep looking.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Regarding stocking up on prescription medications:

You can ask your doctor for samples when you go in. Then fill your prescriptions as soon as possible. When refilling, refill as soon as possible (there is generally a small window of time before the 30 or 90 days is up). DON'T wait to refill until you are almost out. You will have to keep track of when you filled the prescription and when you are eligible to refill.

Also if there are several dosages of a drug AND the pills can be cut in half, your doctor MIGHT write you a prescription for the larger dosage. The prescription will last twice as long. My mom's doctor SUGGESTED it to save her some money!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Grainlady had posted a website for me to figure out how much I needed to can for each person, but I can't find it now, maybe someone else can help. I will keep looking.
I am not LDS but here is the calculator that many use to figure out food storage for one yr:

Food Storage Calculator

You might want to Google homesteading forums, blogs etc there are some fantastic ones out there that deal with many of the questions you might have as well.

Just remember store what you eat, eat what you store and rotate. Figure out how much your family goes through in a yr of soap, oils, baking supplies ( wheat, flours, oils, cocoa) , grains and store accordingly if that is what you would want to do. Make sure you store properly so you don't get bugs , things go bad or rancid .

Reactions: mommy2krj
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.