Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That falls under the grocery budget, but also list the meals and how much each meal costs, maybe??

Something like:

Nov grocery budget $300.
Chicken and yellow rice w/ steamed broccoli $4.50 with lunch next day
Enchiladas with rice $6.13 with leftovers
etc..

I can't seem to find something like it in any catagory.

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
A couple of people have made menu plans from time to time, but I don't know of a dedicated place to post them. Besides, prices vary from area to area, so what might cost me $4.50 could cost you twice that, making my list useless to you.

·
4,028 Posts
Well, I don't know if the OP was looking for a list to go by or a challenge for Villagers to post how well they do with their monthly grocery budget?

It would be a way to see how well people do keeping to their budget and seeing what they purchased for the price.

Lindsey, do you want to start a challenge thread like that?

Reactions: HappyMama

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ceashels, YES! I would love a thread like that. Even though the prices will be different, it would help to see different frugal menus and help keep me accountable ;) Would it go in the grocery budget (money) challenge, in the food one, or in the kitchen forums?? I see where people list what they have saved from coupons, or what their monthly food budget is, but not what they are also eating, and then there is what's for dinner, or even weekly menus, but no prices....

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
We have a thread like this on another board that I frequent and would love to see one like this here. Thanks Lindsey, looking forward to the thread.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
It would be good to see what people did with X amount... but I think we need to break it up in to areas... Things cost more here than the south but less than Canada...

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Lady,
I think you could cover that by just including the info in your post, as an example:

Judi Dial (NH) November/2010
Budget 400.00 Actually spent:450.00.
Food Purchased (list)
Menu Plan
Actual Menu (if different)
Food Thrown Out (estimated waste $$$.$$)

Would that work?

Judi

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, here is what I was thinking;

Nov 4th

Breakfast-Omlets for 3 (DH and DS didn't eat)
4 eggs $.068
Leftover veggies and meat (red pepper, onions, tomatoes, green onions, and taco chicken from the tacos Tuesday night)-free for this meal
2 slices of cheese $0.15
Total-$0.83

Lunch-making quasodillas (I know I butchered the spelling)
6 Tortillas-$0.60
Left over meat and veggies-free
Cheese-$1.39
Total-$1.99

Snack-left over muffins from yesterdays breakfast-$0.24

Dinner-crusted baked chicken breast, lima beans, and rice.
3 chicken breasts-$3.
Lima beans (frozen)-$1.
Rice (box)-$0.50
Butter for limas-$0.09
Crusted seasoning $0.50
pitcher of tea -$0.30
Total-$5.39

Daily total=$8.45

I homeschool, so these meals are usually for all 5 of us. We live on base, so DH comes home for lunch.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Many of my shelf-stable pantry items (spices, beans, salad dressing, etc. I've gotten over a long period of time and don't remember what I paid for them. And of course, none of this includes the associated energy costs.

I don't menu plan, but this is what I know I have to use up and the prices I that I know I paid most recently:

Breakfast: coffee and toast
coffee costs us $10.95/wk [$1.57/daily]
bread costs of $3.98/loaf and we use 2 loaves a week [$1.14/daily]

Breakfast total = $2.71

Lunch: carrot soup w/lentils & cumin, chix broth:
carrots $1/lb, use approx 3/4lb [.75]
chicken broth $1.50/qt use approx 3/4 of it, [.86]
lentils & cumin from stockpile "free"

Lunch total = 1.61

Dinner:
LO soup (if available)
hamburger, 2 patties [$3.32]
salad bag spinach use 1/2 bag [.50]
tomato = free, picked green from this year's garden
salad dressing from stockpile, "free"
For dessert we've got cookies ($1.50/pkg), coffee cake ($3.50/pkg), ice cream ($6? dunno, DH bought it, it's his addiction!) Figure if we have it, we'll use $1 per person of the dessert stuff.

Dinner total = 5.82

Snacks are our downfall around here, as we both work at home. It's nearly impossible to not "nibble" during the day, so I'll add another "dessert" for $2

Today's Total= $12.14, 2 adults, NH

Judi

·
4,028 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.