Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ladies,

I thought maybe I would ask you this do any of you have any ideas on where to find a Wedding Planner or what the best way to go about it?

I am getting married next year which is a grand thing you may think I am crazy just looking to hire one because it would make my life in fact a little easier with the consideration of being in school part-time and working full-time doesn't really leave me with much of a schedule with free time.

We still don't have a date picked out as of yet but we still have plenty of time before that but to as well figure out a budget for the a once in a life time oppurtunity. I have decided to go big because we both have big families even I know you can't please everyone but we would at least try to for the most part. What a wonderful day that hopefully will be perfect:nerv2
:

As I have heard from others just relax and take things one thing at a time in fact I think they are correct on that considering it wouldn't take much to take a big event and make it too overwhelming among yourself and others.

Whatever tips or advise you can submit would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all of you and have a wonderful day.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I planned my entire wedding and it was pretty big, if you have any questions feel free to pm me anytime. My wedding as said by my guests "Was the best and most fun wedding they have been do in a long time."

I did it frugally too, made my own centerpieces, decorations, favors. Like I said you have any questions let me know.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
[email protected] well congratulations first and foremost :)

I'm not sure how much wedding planners cost but I know for a fact, that there are dozens of things you can do to cut the cost of your wedding down an enormous amount. examples...
- have your cake done at a local bakery instead of letting the reception hall handle it and then them charging you an arm and a leg for it.
- do your own makeup and nails
- make your own centerpieces
- have your family help set up the reception hall and or decorate the church pews and things like that.
- dont serve dinner and instead do small arrangement of appetizers and fruit and then your cake. i dont know. im just throwing ideas around here.

youve got time. just breathe and start making some lists.
youre gonna get married!!!! :)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I am planning my sisters wedding, which is next month (we didnt start planning til feb.....argh). i would suggest you visit www.theknot.com you may find its not as overwhelming as you think. they have checklists and ideas and links to other helpful sites.
also there are plenty of planners you can buy at the craft store or book store that actually break it down month by month what needs to be done.
it gives you some good suggestions sometimes some local resources.

·
4,028 Posts
Congratulations!

I can certainly understand the desire to please the most people you can... but my best advice is to please Yourself and Your Fiance FIRST!

I went the frugal way and made the things I needed.

I think the best bet is (even though your life is incredibly busy) take the time to interview potential planners. If you are going to let them make the arrangements then take notes of your conversations so when miscommunications happen you can say "this is not what we discussed, we discussed (fill in the blank)." If they see you are taking notes they will be more on the ball. If they are of the mind that they will make the decisions.... find someone else.

As the other wonderful Villagers said.. do your research. Know what you are looking for. Cut corners where you can and plan that it will cost you more than you planned to begin with. It always does.

Let us know how it goes?

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Hint: Don't let your mother make the plans!!! I will say to you that getting my mother involved was probably the worst thing I did regarding my wedding. She even started spending my money on her travel expenses, when she didn't even need to go anywhere or do anything!!! Grrrrrrrr!!!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Having the the maid of honour in 3 weddings these past 2 summers - and a gf who got married twice! OY! My only advise is do what pleases YOU and HUBBY TO BE and your budget. Do not let anyone tell you what they think you should have or need, do not let anyone 'convince' you into things.

Instead of hiring a wedding planner I think its more fun to do it yourself. Just set aside an hour each day if possible to surf the net for one thing at a time. One day could be local venues, the next the dress, the next is food/catering if not provided by the venue, the next is decorations etc - you catch my drift. If after spending a good 2-3 months of reserach yourself THEN consider a planner. At least you'll have an idea of what you truly do want and how much it will cost and you wont be able to get duped by a planner who's not efficent.

There are plenty of good 'wedding websites' out there too with ideas, lists and how to's. Just spend the time to research. A fun outing could be you and fiance going to a wedding show - they usually pop up in the fall/winter season (off wedding season) and you can compare and get ideas/prices from the vendors there that want your biz. Make a day of it, bring your ideas and estimated budget in a spiral notebook and a bag for the pamphlets and freebies you will get.

Happy researching! Remember its not the cost, its the memories that will be remembered.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Contratulations!! Please you and your fiance first, when your guests see that you are happy they will be as well. My husband and I got married three years ago. We paid cash for everything and did not go into any debt over the wedding.
I bought a wedding planner book and it was very helpful. Then I enlisted the help of my sister (who was free....lol).
Our ceremony took place in a park, we didn't have to buy flowers or anything for a church we just used the parks flower bed as a backdrop and everything was beautiful.
Our cake was made by a grocery store and they delivered and set it up. Saved us alot of money and it was beautiful.
Our invitations we ordered direct from a printer, a small business near here.
Our flowers we ordered from another small business near here and saved about 50%. They were fresh flowers and later I had them dried and made into a wreath to put on the wall next to our wedding picture.
Our pictures were done by a photographer friend.
My dress was bought on sale. Hair and makeup was a gift to me from my sister.
This list could go on and on.
No one realised we were so frugal. They hadn't a clue, we were just careful and didn't want anymore credit card debt.
We have no regrets.

I would suggest first to set your budget. I know this is once in a lifetime and you want it to be perfect. It will be perfect and feel perfect if you stay within budget.

JMHO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts