Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I never wash baggies.

Also since we moved and I work full time, I only buy Tide now for the wash, but I use the powder and only half of what it calls for. I don't buy the cheap laundry soap any more.

What can't you bring yourself to do?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
:lol: this is a good thread!

I will NOT not flush the toilet EACH time it's used - I can't grasp that one -

I also will NOT buy 'cheap' dog food or cat food.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Ok well I have a few then...

~ I too dont flush after each use on the toilet
~ I will only drink diet pepsi no store brand soda for me
~ I buy only namebrand clothing BUT I shop at the thrift shop for these
~ I wont buy underwear and bras at the thrift store (yuck!)

There are probably more but that's all I can think of right now, lol

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have two things that I won't be frugal on and that is my soda and my shampoo. For soda dh and I drink Moutian Dew and for my hair I was it with eaither Panten or Dove. I have use save for years before I started to use eaither one of these. But it just me hair feel real brittle.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
~ I HAVE to flush every time, and I HAVE to use disposable TP.
~I don't wash baggies, but I do buy cheap ones.
~I won't wash all the laundry in cold water. Sorry, but undies and some other things need hot water to kill the cooties, IMHO!

My list of these things is a lot shorter now than it was a year or two ago! I used to have name-brand preferences on many household or grocery items, now I'm just down to a specific few.

I know some people here do all of those things, and I'm glad it works for them... it's just not my personal preference.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
~I don't wash out baggies. I do however buy the generic ones except for freezer use, then I buy Ziplocs.
~I don't buy used clothing, however I always shop sales.
~We don't turn our heat down real low, it never gets set below 71. DH's request.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I do not mind thrift store shopping, or generic soda, but I guess not car-pooling is my thing. Considering I drive a gas guzzler, I know I could save $ on gas by carpooling just once or twice a week, but I like the freedom and also like my "me" time in the car, plus I am not much of a morning person. Also do not want to be at the mercy of someone else if my schedule changes and I need my vehicle.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
~ I will not use Diva products.
~ I will not color my own hair....just too scared to do it! LOL
~I dont buy used underclothes or bras.
~ I never use someone elses left over medications....ever...ever....

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't wash out baggies, it's not that I am opposed (except meat) but it's just too much of a pita to me. I do buy cheapo ones.

I wash sheets and undies in HOT water.

I do buy better meat (never the burger in a roll for example)

I have fresh fruits and veggies as much as possible.

Never buy undergarments from thrift stores...

I pay to have my hair done, (and do it myself too)

I don't make waffles or bread from scratch. Bread from the thrift bakery is so cheap, I don't want to bother.

:teddy2:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I am new to this frugal thing but so far the biggest hang up for me is washing in cold and drying around the house. I just like getting laundry done quickly and the air drying thing takes me too long. The cold water thing...just afraid they won't get clean enuff esp the diapers. I probably won't get do anything but disposable tp...that's just gross to me. So far I am still using tons of paper towels and napkins....the mindset needs to switch on these at some point.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I would never, never wash diapers in cold water or hang them to dry. Little ones bottoms are too sensitive for that IMHO!
If you dont use disposables you are already doing much more than the majority of folks!

I think each of us does what is comfortable for us and our families. What works for me might not work for you and that is OK....
I will say that reading all the posts here is a big help though!

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I won't eat beans, or chicken thighs, or meat from a tube, or hotdogs, or sausage, or tomato soup poured over spaghetti. As long as it doesn't involve me eating something that I find disgusting, I'm pretty much game for anything.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
-I won't go even once without flushing the toilet (using a low-flow toilet helps a ton, and you can put a full jug of water in the tank to displace some water)
-I will spend some money on organic packaged food because it's worth it to me
-I don't wash baggies, but that's mostly because I use plastic containers for nearly everything, including my sandwiches at lunch
-I will always wash my towels in hot, or at least warm, water
-My heat's at 70, but that's partly because our house has three floors and the bottom floor is considerably colder than the thermostat, so my poor roommate down there would be frozen if we turned it down

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Zippy bags. I am among the baggie troup as well. I throw them away.

Clean clothes. Gain detergent only. DH washes everything in hot water and uses the dryer everytime. I love my dryer and it dries at least three or four loads a day. Plus you cannot hang clothes outside in my neighborhood.

Water usage. We do not re-use water or limit bath and shower time. My water and trash bill only runs $75 a month and being clean is too important to me to tell my family they have to limit their bathing time or the number of showers they take. They can take six a day, I don't care as long as everyone takes at least one a day.

My kids sports. I will spend whatever on their sports equiptment, sign up fees, All-Star fees, photos, whatever.

My vacations. We take one vacation each December that runs about $4000 for a week. Plus we take several smaller trips through the year. We love to go places.

My animals. I do not cut corners in their care. All are either strays I took in or shelter adoptions - except the rabbit. But that is the only place I cut costs on them. They stay in luxury upscale boarding facilities, see the most wonderful vet, get lots of goodies, good food, toys, clothes and LOVE.

Insurance I will always have good health, life, car, and homeowners insurance.

I am sure there are others but that is all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Zippy bags. I am among the baggie troup as well. I throw them away.

Clean clothes. Gain detergent only. DH washes everything in hot water and uses the dryer everytime. I love my dryer and it dries at least three or four loads a day. Plus you cannot hang clothes outside in my neighborhood.

Water usage. We do not re-use water or limit bath and shower time. My water and trash bill only runs $75 a month and being clean is too important to me to tell my family they have to limit their bathing time or the number of showers they take. They can take six a day, I don't care as long as everyone takes at least one a day.

My kids sports. I will spend whatever on their sports equiptment, sign up fees, All-Star fees, photos, whatever.

My vacations. We take one vacation each December that runs about $4000 for a week. Plus we take several smaller trips through the year. We love to go places.

My animals. I do not cut corners in their care. All are either strays I took in or shelter adoptions - except the rabbit. But that is the only place I cut costs on them. They stay in luxury upscale boarding facilities, see the most wonderful vet, get lots of goodies, good food, toys, clothes and LOVE.

Insurance I will always have good health, life, car, and homeowners insurance.

I am sure there are others but that is all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
we also must flush everytime
i dont buy used undergarments but clothes are ok
i will admit it i LOVE my dryer i won't hang clothes up its jsut too big a hassled
i wont shop at a nasty grocery store because its cheaper
i will not eat ramen or hamburger helper ( i have had my life's fill of both)

thats all i can think of

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
*We will not purchase beef or pork from a grocer, only off a farm and from a family we personally know.Eggs and chicken are our next goal.(Harder for us to get them off the farm in winter.)

*I will not serve hotdogs(only when g-kids are over and they request it) No ramen noodles.No Spam.

*I always have fruit and vegetables available at every meal and insist it is consumed.I do not limit it as a snack as well.

*I don't wash baggies.

* I will not do my own hair.

* I use prescription Retin-A to prevent fine lines and wrinkles. I will not tan in a tanning bed-EVER.I limit any sun exposure, will not be out without sunscreen.

*I only use Gain laundry soap and fabric softener.(tried home made fabric softener, hated it.)

*I don't use Diva cups, cloth pads or keeper cups. We only use toilet paper, no cloths or rags.(Yuck)

*I don't scrimp on my pets. I won't quit feeding stray animals.

*We don't reuse water, We don't limit it for bathing.

* We take several trips and vacations yearly. We collect select antiques.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
--I don't wash baggies
--I flush the toilet after each use
--I use paper napkins
--I don't cut my own hair
-No Diva cups for me either
-Like Neeley, we take a vacation (but use cash) each year.

--Michelle

·
Registered
426 Posts
We don't use powdered milk
I have been buying some prepackaged snack foods because I don't have the energy to bake right now.
We go out to eat if I'm too sick to cook. (gotta love morning sickness!)
Use disposable wet wipes for DD#2
disposable t.p. for the rest of the family

I wash my clothes in warm, diapers in HOT!! (but I do line dry everything because dryers aren't available here.) My washer heats it's own water though so it's not the ever, expensive hot water heater.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts