Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I've never made Thanksgiving dinner before, so this is a first for me!
There's a discounted food co-op that someone pointed me towards, and they have the following meal $40, and I have a coupon to make it $38.

(1) 14-16 lbs Whole Turkey (frozen)
(1) 10 inch Pre-Baked Pumpkin Pie
(1) 1 lbs. Fresh Green Beans
(1) Box Stuffing Mix
(1) 1 lbs. Fresh Carrots
(1) Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
(1) 1 can Cranberry Sauce
(1) 3 lbs. Fresh Sweet Potatoes
(1) 3 lbs. Fresh Apples
(1) 3 lbs. Fresh Russet Potatoes
(1) Fresh Celery Stalk

I can't eat gluten, so I'll be making my own pie and stuffing. But even so, how good of a deal is this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the site that it's from. It's a So-cal co-op.

They say their aim is to save people 50% off their shopping bill, but... I don't know if I'm seeing it.

What does everyone else think?

goldensharefoods
.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=63

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

They say their aim is to save people 50% off their shopping bill, but... I don't know if I'm seeing it.

goldensharefoods

·
Registered
540 Posts
I added it up to the nearest $'s and for here that is a good deal.. But your in Cali, you have many stores/possible sales to choose from.. I would do some serious ad searching first and check for coupons..

Reactions: soulfood2go

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
Around here the turkey is worth about $15, the pie maybe $5, and beans, stuffing, carrots, soup, sauce and celery about a dollar each. The apples and potatoes may be around $1 a pound, or less if on sale. I see apples for 88c/ lb and sweet potatoes for 69c/lb, for example, this time of year.

So I'd say you're paying too much. You're buying convenience.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Cream soups are rarely gluten-free, so make sure to check yours prior to purchase. I have to make cream of mushroom soup from scratch for the wife.

The pricing isn't the best, but it's not bad, either. By shopping around, I could probably knock about $7 off, but you'll be saving time, effort and gas. As someone else said, you are paying for convenience.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Cream soups are rarely gluten-free, so make sure to check yours prior to purchase. I have to make cream of mushroom soup from scratch for the wife.

I agree! I have to make mine from scratch as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, everyone!! ^_^

Where do you usually buy your turkeys?

Do prices drop or go up as Thanksgiving gets closer?

I found a place that has $5 turkeys, but you have to spend $50 to get the deal, and it's not the cheapest place in the world for everything else.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Around here you need to pay $300 to get a free turkey. So I do not do it. It just is not worth it. But for $55 to get a free turkey would depend on what items you were purchasing on sale.

Turkeys or turkey parts seem to go on really cheap sale right at the holiday and after. Which is good if you plan ahead and want a turkey for easter or any other time of the year. Plus they keep a long time in the freezer.

The quantity seems good for six to eight people. But if you are making the same items then you really are not saving any money. I think I would just look at the weights as a good measurement on how much of each item to buy.

Since it is your first thanksgiving and if people are coming over don't be afraid to ask people to bring something. Will take a lot of pressure off of you. Also, don't forget you can make side dishes in advance, freeze, then reheat the day of. Also helps to keep the stress level down.

Hope you have a great thanksgiving. When you are done with thanksgiving write down everything you had, how many people, and if you had enough. This will help you when you have another get together.

Oh yea, one more tip, make sure give the turkey more than enough time to defrost!!!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I buy my directly from the farmer :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@shoiji - Actually, it's just for the husband and I, as far as I know.... but either way, I love lots of leftovers! We usually go up to family, but they are over 500 miles away, and we don't have the budget to go there this year, if we want to still be able to make it there for Christmas as well. I still want to do a Thanksgiving meal, but you know... perhaps I should talk to the hubby about celebrating Thanksgiving a few days after! That way I can shop all the after-T-day deals!

@HappyMama - What a great idea! I grew up in the country I know that's definitely an awesome way to go. Not sure what's around here though, now that I'm in the big city! hehe

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

goldensharefoods
If their aim is to save 50% off their shopping bill I would say its not a deal .. that would mean they believe their thanks giving lot is worth $80??? I would think you could get a much better deal in the store. I'm from canada and that price seems high to me (and our prices are higher here)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think it is a lot for what you get. Also, is there anything "missing" from that menu that you would supplement? That could add more money. I got 2 frozen pumpkin pies and a thing of whipped cream on sale yesterday for $5 for all of it. There are good deals to be had over the next 2 months on food- always is at holiday time :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.