Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In exactly a month, my wife will be fifty. I am lucky since today is our anniversary and one month later is her birthday. I only have to remember the 17th of the last two months of the year.

Should I do something special for her? We don't buy each other gifts for special occasions. I do try to bake her a birthday cake when possible. I have a carrot cake in the oven now for our anniversary. It will be a gift for both of us. She is not a very emotional person. She says it will be just another birthday. I am not sure if she is just saying it or if it will be a big deal to her. I need help. Women are still mysterious creatures to me.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
That is really hard to say! Forty was tough for me, but 50 was a breeze.

I would do a LITTLE something special, but not make a BIG deal out of it. I will be interested to know how it turns out.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Can you maybe take her out to eat someplace that she really loves on her birthday? And maybe get her a heartfelt card.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
Tell her you're going to trade her in for two 25 y/o's :D It's an even trade.

Fixer, when you figure out this "mysterious creature", let all the other men know. ;)

Just make sure you put thought into it.. that has never failed me.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
As a woman, when I turn 50 I would hope my DH would do something for me. I think 50 is a big deal :) I would no go crazy but something special would be awesome!!!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
50 is a big deal. If you can afford it - jewelry is in order! (I'm 54 and would have loved for my DH to have been so thoughtful)

Reactions: fixer

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'd do something. It may not be a big deal, but better to get her something and have her say, "Oh, honey! You shouldn't have!" then to not get her anything and have her get disappointed. And maybe right now it feels like it's no big deal . . . maybe she will feel differently on that day. Sometimes, a few of us "mysterious creatures" can be fickle like that. ;) Plus, being on this crazy mortal coil for 50 years is worth memorializing in some way, big or small.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I just turned 50 in August and kind of wish that a little something special would have happened! I'm not a party person, so I don't mean that. And, I really don't expect expensive things, either. Maybe a nice dinner out that was planned in advance, maybe some flowers, I don't know. It wasn't a bad birthday, but 50 is kind of a big deal. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I guess I'm weird...because I threatened anyone who even suggested the classic *50th* birthday for me. I do not like being the center of attention and I really don't get what the big deal is. And dh knows better than to buy me jewelry...not my style at all, especially not for something so commercialized as a special time.....I just don't get it. But again....I'm not a fussy girl.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
yes, it is a milestone in a woman's life...i am 41. but last year when i turned 40, my wonderful wonderful husband gave me jewelery and a party! of course, i picked out the earrings...put them on a wish list and he went in and bought them! and, of course, the party was about 100 people...i did all the planning and work! hired the caters, bartenders, wait staff, etc...but, well worth it! so, yes, do something special if $$$$ allows.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I would do something for her fixer. You know her best so whatever you decide, she will be thrilled with. It is a big milestone and yes, we are all funny in our thoughts about it but I am sure she would appreciate that you went the extra mile to do something special for her on her special day.

Make sure you let us know what you decide, how she reacts and wish her a Happy Birthday from me! :)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
In my opinion, 50 is a big deal. You said that she wasn't a party person but how about cooking dinner for her at home or taking her out to dinner, would she be comfortable with that?

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
50 is a major milestone and I think it's a big deal. I just turned 49 and my hubby (9 months younger than me) is already starting to tease me about having one foot on 50 and the other on a banana peel. First of all, he's not funny. And second, he's taking me on a cruise five months after my 50th birthday (mid-way between my 50th and his) so I forgive him :)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Hey fixer buddy. I'm 46 and when I turned 30 I didn't have the emotional breakdown some people do. I thought yes I am finally considered an adult and have experience. lol
When dh turned 50 the kids and I took him out and we had cake and ice cream at home. When they left we had a romantic evening at home. Some wine, cheese, crackers and some strawberries.
So yes I would do something special for her. I would bake her a cake and then I would take her out for a special dinner. Let her know what you mean to her after all these years. Maybe even write her a special card.
When I get to be 50 I want the same as we did for dh and then later the romantic side. But were both romantics so it will be easy for him.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really appreciate all of the suggestions. I am still unsure what to do. All I know is I want to do something special for my wife. Being married to her makes each day the best day of my life.

Reactions: frugalnana

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Being married to her makes each day the best day of my life.
Write that on a card and give it to her, that would be enough for me.

You know her best, do something she would like. Personally, I would be disappointed if I said "get me nothing" and my husband went out and bought me jewellery, when I say nothing I mean nothing, but lots of women don't. My husband knows now that I really do mean what I say. Even so, I would love a card with a heartfelt message, a special meal either at home or at a favourite restaurant, and some personal attention. Our milestone nights usually involve a fancy snack, a favourite movie, a bottle of champagne, and a lot of snuggling. I think the most important thing, if you are worried that she is worried about aging, is to make sure she knows you still think she's hot. You know how to do that, it isn't with words or gifts.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I would definitely do something special but you have to go by what she likes. I don't like my husband to spend money on my presents because if it's something I need, i buy it and if I don't need it I usually don't want it. I'm not a flower person either. I'd kill him if he ever throws me a party. Some women are just like that.

If she's low key, you can still work with that.

Just off the top of my head,

You can take her somewhere meaningful, like where you met or where she grew up.

Write her a beautiful, long letter about how much you love her and how you'd do it all over again and blah de blah. If you do this, you have to start soon and not write it all at the breakfast table the day it's due, like I used to do with my homework. Also, buy some decent stationary for it because she'll want to keep it.

A nice dinner somewhere special is always a win, and I'd try to combine this with suggestion number 1.

If she's wanted to start a new hobby or project, you can buy her the stuff and throw it all together so she can get started.

Sorry that's all I got for now. :tay:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts