Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm determined to go has long as I can before we put in the window a/c, even though the last few days have been hot and VERY humid.

How about you, a/c on yet?

·
27,948 Posts
We don't have one and only have a week or less of totally unbearable heat so we sweat it out.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
Yes, I grew up with out A/C here in GA, but I've become spoiled as as adult ad I can't do without it.:(

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Nope not yet, and if it stays like it is now, low 70's with a breeze, it won't even be going in! :D

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
Yes...my dh gets so miserable without it...and ours doesn't increase our power bill all that much.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Ours has been on a couple of times so far already, but only for a short period of time.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
We have a "swamp cooler" instead of an air conditioner. It works great and even puts moisture into our dry air. It's been on a few times when things have gotten unbearably hot. It can be 100 outside and with the swamp cooler, it will be about 70 inside. I love this thing!!!;)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I put the a/c on for about 2 days. Today it is absolutely beautiful out so I turned it off and openned the windows. I will only turn it on when the inside temp is over 85. When it gets that hot and is sticky, I can't stand it anymore and I cave in and turn it on for some relief.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Not yet, although it was quite warm last night. We do have a house fan that really pulls the cool air in, especially at night. When I start getting irritable and unable to move, then it's time to turn it on!:eek:

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Living in Texas, I would have to say YES!! It is can get really hot here. NO wind, just dry, humid heat!! You walk outside and start sweating from doing nothing, but standing there. I am spoiled to the air. I grew up with just box fans and now can't live without central air.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
We only have two screens in this house, so here it's either air conditioning or heat. :/ So, yes, ours has been on several days this year. I'd love to get screens someday and have fresh air instead, but they're not in the budget right now.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Ours has been on for a month. My oldest has bad allergies, so we run it most of the time for him. It's really running this week. It's been pretty hot.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
Yes and I am not happy about it! It has not needed down stairs but the upstairs gets really warm and dh sleeps days so we can't open the windows up there even, cause the kids will wake him when they play outside.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Yes, in my bedroom........ I can't take the heat.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
We use ours very frequently. Comfort is one thing I won't skimp on. Although during the day we keep the blinds closed and the house stays cool anyway. And as I get really chilly quick, 74 is a great temperature for me. Good question!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
We held out as long as we could, and then the stuffiness got to us, so we turned it on. But, it's not acting right. Keeps freezing up.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
Yes, finally. You may remember we got central air dirt cheap back in the winter. Well, when it finally got hot, we turned it on AND IT DIDN'T WORK!!! The guy came out three times and it is finally working. My allergies are MUCH better with it on.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
No--hasn't been warm enough yet :)

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Only for 4 hours last Sunday- the house was closed up all day as we weren't home and it was really hot/stuffy when we got home. I turned on the central air for a bit then turned it back off- I want to use it as little as possible- rural electricity is VERY expensive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts