Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the thinking today how much money we save because hubby can fix quite a few things. I needed new front brake pads on my car last week. It would have been $130 to take the shop--he put new brakes for $30. We awoke one Saturday morning here recently to a broken hot water heater with water leaking everywhere. Hubby went out turned the water off at the meter then went brought a new one and installed it. I hate to think what a plumber would have charged to come out on the weekend (that is if you could get one around here on Sat.) would have cost. I got the thinking about everything he repairs and what it would cost to have it done. He saves us a lot of money! I think he's a keeper:king:

Dixie Jean

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I too am married to Mr. Fix-it. Yesterday he fixed a light in the bathroom kept blowing bulbs and he fixed the sliding glass doors that wouldn't stay on track . Needed new wheely thing inside. Plus he's also a Mr. Green Jeans! Can grow anything! But we're perfectly matched as I'm Betty Crocker and Martha Stewart. lol

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
616 Posts
My husband is not really a fixer. I usually have to call a repair man if an appliance breaks or the car needs fixing.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
My dh fixes everything! He works on the motorcycles, house, truck, you name it - he can fix it!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Mine is too. In one weekend he's been known to work on three vehickes, install roofing and help cook turkey day dinner! ;) him's a keeper!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yep mines also a keeper. If its broke he can fix it. from putting a new roof on our house to cutting tiles for the bathroom and on and on. There is no way we could live as rural as we do if he couldn't.

·
Registered
164 Posts
you are all really lucky. that definitely helps in saving money to have someone who can fix things!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
You are all very lucky--my husband can't fix a thing and I feel so bad for him. He thinks he's missing a gene or something!! It once took my dh a whole day to put up one of those little bi-fold closet doors. I try to be understanding, but sometimes it's a little ridiculous! I always want to just hire a handy man, but he always needs to try it himself first!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
DH is a fixer,our home is 130 years old-it never ends!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
My DH is definately a Mr Fix it. He can repair anything that breaks from home to auto to lawn and garden. I always joke with him that if I gave him twine, duct tape and scrap metal, he could build me the Queen Elizabeth II to take a cruise on.

·
27,948 Posts
Yes! He fixes just about everything and used to be able to do more on cars but they are getting harder & harder to work on.
Just this past weekend he got out his volt meter to fix his prized Three Stooges bottle opener. It has 3 batteries in it which are those flat pricey ones. He's going to rig it so he can just use a reg battery, lol. Don't ya know you really, really need a bootle opener that has Curly saying when asked if he wants a beer "Soitenly, Nyuk nyuk nyuk" :toothy:

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
yepper mines a keeper too. Mister fix it all. carpentry, a little automotive,
organizational freak, etc.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i think i am more of a fixer than DH, but he is great. usually it goes like this We find the problem. I research to figure out how to fix it. I explain to DH. He goes to the hardware, auto...store. We end up fixing it together. together we have done so many home repairs its crazy the only thing we dont tackle is electrical stuff

·
Registered
547 Posts
Nope, he can't fix nothing!! Unless it can be done with baling wire :laugh:

I usally fix simple things around the house, kids outside things, and my hair once in awhile :drama:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
DH was 20 when we first got married and couldn't fix Nothin!!!!! (except maybethe barakes on the car) He has come a LONG way ....mostly due to necessity...but now he'll have a go at almost anything ..... and generally gets it done. Sometimes he makes me nervous on how he gets it done (I was raised to be a real safety nut)!!!! I don't mind fixing things myself either and my father is a wealth of construction knowledge.....so I know we've saved tons of money by being able to fix things and build them ourselves. Generally he gets it done and I worry about the details (and point them out). It works for us!!!!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
My hubby can fix almost anything, and he can build anything. He is the most resourceful man I have ever met. He/we have done this whole remodel ourselves with very, and I mean very, little help. The only thing we hired out was the foundation, and that's because we didn't have the wall forms our selves. My Dh is also a building inspector, so he knows all the codes to stick to.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Hubby can't fix a thing. I love him dearly, but he usually does more damage then he origanally started with. Some things I just don't want him to even try and fix. When it comes to putting things together..that's my department, hubby thinks if it doesn't fit...then force it.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
MY DH is also a fixer type guy, he's remodeling the kitchen and he made the cabinets from scratch using materials he got free. He fixes almost anything when needed, gosh it's great to have your own personal handy-man! :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts