Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a package of 12 double rolls the other day at a grocery outlet and really needed some so I grabbed a package. I can't remember the exact price, seemed like a pretty good deal. I finally put one of the rolls on the spinner and I kept looking at it..something seems different, each time I go I keep looking at it and realize the length of the tube is smaller. I of course can't be sure, so today the roll finally ran out and I grabbed that tube and compaired it to an old empty tube...sure enough it is a 1/2 inch shorter. I new something was fishy, maybe my deal wasn't such a deal. Ladies beware some brands may be shrinking.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I knew I wasn't crazy !!!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Not only is the tube shorter, it's also fatter. So even if the roll looks the same thickness, more of the thickness is made up of air in the middle!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I've noticed with some brands it's not as tightly wound on the roll now, too. Fewer sheets per roll, I guess.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Wow that is underhanded!! Here, toilet paper is sold on a weight basis (like €4.00/kilo or whatever), so I haven't seen anything like that. They have to write on the package how many rolls, how many sheets per roll, how many grams per roll, and how many total grams. Then the unit price on the shelf is per kilogram. Of course, the price HAS been going up. I don't mean to suggest that we aren't paying more than we did a few months ago of course.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Look at the sq footage or sheet count on the front of the package, most are 250, I buy a Walgreens brand that has 352 for 12 double rolls for 5.00.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Everything is shrinking!!! Except me.......:laugh:

Like WJC said..........fatter cardboard in the middle, smaller squares, less squares, they 'air fluff' it now, and I don't understand how SOME of them can say "two ply" when you can SEE THROUGH each ply............WHAT A RIP OFF!!!

The tissues are the same way.............shake the box the next time you buy...........there is about an inch on EACH END of the tissues!! And, of course, less tissues per box!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Yup!!! I buy scotts or CVS brand scotts now. A couple weeks ago the poor cashier ran back and forth to the stock area to get me the right quantity and type of scotts toilet paper that was on sale. Apparently scotts went double sheet which I really did not want to stand there and figure out if I would be getting the same amount as a single sheet roll.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
No wonder we are going thru T.P. faster. Argh!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its happening with all the products. Its the way companies are countering inflation. Thanks federal government.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have gotten used to the shrink of some products, but excuse the pud....that one really pissed me off.
I will really have to start paying attention.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yes, I've noticed that the manufacturers have changed the amount of toilet tissue on the tp rolls, and the prices are higher too, so we pay more for less of it. They've also done this with facial tissue, and now the boxes are smaller too. And the quality is poorer; I have been buying Puffs facial tissue because they were less toxic in regards to chemicals in the tissues; but a few weeks ago I bought Puffs (with coupon), the boxes were smaller, and there is a sickening chemical smell in the tissues, that makes my nose burn when I use them. :dis: So they're cheaping out on us in various ways. And it's not just paper products, it's smaller juice cans and smaller portions in other products too, especially cereal boxes. I'm really glad I stockpiled the last few years, when coupons and sale prices were exceptionally good, because nowadays the consumer is paying more for less, and the quality is also poorer.

As for tp, I think the only thing we can do as consumers is to use it carefully and sparingly, not just reel it off. Flatten the roll so kids can't spin it out. Get in the habit of counting the squares of toilet tissue when using. Make a wet wad and/or dry wad for wiping; and fold-over the wad after each wipe (3-4 times), to make a roll last longer.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
This seems to be a hot topic. My parents were just talking about this over the weekend. My uncle says they're fluffing it (not rolling it as tight on the rolls) so it looks like the same amount.

I first noticed the "squares" were smaller overall in width & length sometime back. Figured I didn't notice it sooner since I stock up & go several months between purchases. I did try another brand, but we didn't like it. Now, I'm noticing how thin it is.

Think I should call the company & let them know after 19 years I'm shopping for a new brand. Wonder if they'll care?

·
Registered
217 Posts
yes angel soft has gotten looser on the roll. I use to buy Charmain basic- but my store runs a 2/10 24pk rolls about 2x a yr so I stock up. mars co and hershey's have repackaged new FUN SIZE mini candy bars use to be 8 per pk for $1 now most are 6 per fun pack LOL for the same $1- so we no longer buy.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Not sure if it's shrinking or the husband and daughter find they have to wrap it around there hands a zillion times. Drives me crazy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts