Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ladies,

Wondering if you all could help me out. I have about 5 large granny smith apples and need some recipes. I did have a apple recipe,but I couldnt find it :(

It can be cakes,pies,cobbler,whatever!! Post whatever you'd like.

Please! someone help me :) (I couldnt find a begging smiley lol)

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Apple Walnut Bread
2 C all purplose flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C chopped walnuts
1/2 C butter, softened
1 C white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 C apples, peeled cored, shredded

Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease one 9x5 inch loaf pan.
Mix together flour, baking powder, soda, salt and nuts.
In large bowl, beat margarine, sugar, and 1 egg until smooth. Beat in second egg and stir in vanilla. Stir in shredded apples. Pour flour mixture into batter; stir just until moistened.
Spread into prepared pan.
Bake 50-60mins or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let stand 10 mins, then remove from pan. Place on wire rack to cool completely.

**I also make this into muffins, baking at the same temp for bread, but halving the time to about 20-25mins. It makes about a dozen or so good sized muffins :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oooooh, oooooh, oooooh I've got one, I've got one! Apple dumplings. It's in the Betty crocker cookbook, but you really don't need a recipe. You core your whole apples -- I think the recipes says to peel the apple at least halfway, but I never do. Then you make a 2 crust pie crust (for 6 apples). I prefer whole wheat crust, but any pie crust recipe will do. Roll it out and cut into approx. 7inch squares. Place an apple on each square. The recipe says to put raisins and nuts in the apple cavity, but I use raisins, cinnamon, a little brown sugar and a pat of butter -- they way my mom makes them. You then bring two opposite corners of the pie dough up over the apple -- repeat with the other two and seal the seam.  Put in an ungreased baking dish. Make a simple syrup of 2c, water and 1c. packed brown sugar (heat to boiling) and pour around dumplings. Bake at 425 till the apples are tender, about 40 minutes.

I saw  similar recipe once that called for baking the apples on a cookie sheet dry -- no syrup. You could do that if the sugar is a problem.

I love these things. So does hubby, in fact the first time I made them for him he asked that I make them for his birthday (he's not a big cake fan) and I've been doing that ever since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts