Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Founder
20,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this was posted on the forums, but heck if i can find it now. :(

Does anyone have a good recipe for them?

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Okay, Sara, I made one recipe, and it was good, but no "nooks and crannies" like store bought. Definitely a better texture overall, though. I am going to try at least one other recipe (Alton Brown's, from his TV show Good Eats) and then I will report back. I also took pictures, so I will post fter the second batch.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Okay, here goes:

The recipe I used from Recipezaar was okay. The outside had a nice crunchy texture, but there were no "nooks and crannies." I didn't think there were going to be, because this recipe seemed too dense in dough form to create any bubbles. It needs to be more like a batter.

Then I found Alton Brown's recipe, which is like the recipe I remember reading about years ago- you need metal rings to make it. I didn't have any, but I got around this by making them out of aluminum foil, folded over several times and then formed into a ring. The only thing I did differently was to add corneal to the outside, so they were more like what I am used to. Oh, and I don't have an electric skillet, so I had to make them in a regular pan. I had to keep the heat pretty low- around 3 out of 9. They came out great and loaded with nooks and crannies- fork splitting makes all the difference here, BTW. The recipe was very easy.

Here is the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_23595,00.html

ETA- I would wait until hese are cooled to fork spli, unless you are going to eat them right away. Also, I am only going to post pics if somebody specifically wants to see them....

·
28,354 Posts
Thanks for all the info Kimberly!:smooch:

·
Premium Member
20,606 Posts
YankeeMom said:
There's a recipe for English Muffin Bread in Tawra Kellum's Not Just Beans cookbook. I use it to make individual muffins by just pinching off muffin sized dough pieces and baking them.

If you want I can post the recipe?
I'd love to have it if you don't mind posting it. Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
20,606 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,936 Posts
Michelle said:
I'd love to have it if you don't mind posting it. Thanks :)
Here you go :)

English Muffin Bread (Not Just Beans - Tawra Kellam)
6 C flour
2pkgs or 2T yeast
2 t salt
1T sugar
1/4t baking soda
2 C milk
1/2 C water
1/2 C corn meal (to coat pan)

Combine 3 cups flour, yeast, salt, sugar, and soda in a large mixing bowl. Heat milk and water until very warm (120*F). Add dry ingredients and beat well. Stir in the rest of the flour to make a stiff batter. Spoon into two loaf pans that have been well greased and sprinkle the top with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45mins. Bake at 400*F for 25 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool.

**I usually halve this recipe and pinch off 'roll sized' dough balls and flatten them like a thick pancake about 3" round. Then I dip the top and the bottom of the muffin in cornmeal and bake at 400* for about 10 mins, flip and bake about 5-10 mins longer. There are nooks & crannies, not as many as commercial english muffins, but enough for a decent replacement for me.
The one thing I do think makes a difference is commercial english muffins are 'fork-split' and these you actually have to cut or fork yourself. Forking them is better than cutting them...you retain more nooks & crannies that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.