Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another frugal idea for Christmas for my kids is making them dress up boxes for play. I plan to pick up items to fill them from the thrift store and dollar store.

I'm looking for some fun ideas to fill them up with.

So far, I'm thinking hats, scarves, ties, costume jewelry, sunglasses, fun shoes, coats, dresses.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I bought a wedding dress and a nurses uniform from the thrift store for Aimee's box when she was little. Also a pretty bright red negligee and a Ostrich feather boa for a movie star costume!!! ( Tj MAxx & marshalls tend to have the negligee's in small sizes pretty inexpensive - I paid $5)

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of making two fleece boas from the pattern I posted. Feathers would be a mess with our cat. lol

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
A few more:

~aprons
~helmets (can usually get these at thrift stores)
~carpentar aprons
~purses
~overalls
~work gloves
~gardening gloves

With the aprons, you could put in a rolling pin, measuring cup, measuring spoons and such. Most thrift stores have a few odds and ends.

With the carpentar aprons, you could put in a small hammer, pliers, screw driver (all plastic if you feel they might use them on furniture), tape measure, wood blocks of different sizes. We purchased a small hammer for very little money. Dh had the rest of the tools.

With these two, our kids spent hours "making" things. With the aprons, I had made up a batch of playdough and they used that for making "goodies". And with the carpentar aprons, dh had put in a small container of nails. It was interesting to see what shapes they made.

Dress up boxes are so much fun because kids can use their imaginations. Its wonderful to watch.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I personally am kindof freaky about by headwear and under garments from a thrift store - but thats just me. Oh another thing I found is at the bridal stores they have usually got a bin of stuff that didn't sell or was ordered and never picked up that is dirt cheap - long gloves, jewelry, tiaras, shoes!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I was thinking football & baseball stuff for Zach's box.....maybe a policeman's badge or fireman gear as well.....our Family Dollar has tons of this stuff for fairly cheap....

How about things like rolling pins & cupcake pans for Ally and a princess costume or a tiara collection, angel wings, pretend makeup, toy cell phone and briefcase....

Makes me wish mine were young to do all over again!! :)

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd love to find a veil and tiara for Alexandra. I totally forgot about purses! That's a good idea.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zachary has a badge and holster (flat fabric doesn't actually hold anything) He has a fireman helmet and a construction hat.

Love the angel wings idea. They do have a lot of play food/kitchen items and construction play tools.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I took an evening dress (from thrift store) and put long pieces of chiffon on it for sleeves and sashes, then I made a cone out of cardboard and covered it with satin and hung a long piece of chiffon from the tip - Voila - a Medieval princess!
Oh and Damon loved his dr Coat and stethoscope and little medicine bag.
Damon also had an Indian headdress that we made from felt and beads and feathers - but that will probably anger your cats like a boa!!

We also had a sorcerer's robe that I made out of a graduation gown and covered with stars, and a matching hat made like the medieval princess hat.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
When I was a kid, my mom would periodically make me a crown out of cardboard and aluminum foil. It was cheap but she had to replace it when it would get crushed in my toy box......lol. I lurved that. She always had extra fabric around for my robe;)

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They have a dr kit, so I'll see if I can find any scrubs at the thrift store.

I thought maybe a lei?

Some of you have seen pictures of their playroom. They don't need any toys. I'm working on recycling some of them into new gift ideas and reorganizing because they're getting older.

Checking out ebay. I saw a veil there that was pretty cheap, but have a feeling I can find one at the thrift store. I see all types of gowns there all the time. Just need to try and find some that aren't too huge.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Maybe something along the construction line for Zach - hard hat and some play tools. Also maybe a chef hat, pointer and stuff to be a teacher, maybe even sew or paint some "wings" on to a jacket and hat and let them pretend to be the pilot. I think playing dress up is the best thing in the world. I'd do it now if they wouldn't send me away to the funny farm for it.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I saw a really cute homemade toy. They covered a piece of styrofoam with fabric and it had a play hammer and golf tees. The kids could hammer the tees into the foam. It was really a cute idea.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
Most stores have Halloween costumes for a few dollars right now I have bought princess dresses and stuff for a dress up baox. I got my best deals at Gerbes ( Kroger ).

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Sara, I think you could make a veil pretty cheaply...the netting is always very low priced at joann's and it wouldnt take much....you could get a plastic tiara and just handstitch the netting to it...or make a crown out of silk flowers...check the bridal aisle in joann's or michaels:)

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
how about masks and animal costumes...erick and hannah have some bear and lion masks they love to use and pretend they are animals.:)

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
smnoel said:
They have a dr kit, so I'll see if I can find any scrubs at the thrift store.

Checking out ebay. I saw a veil there that was pretty cheap, but have a feeling I can find one at the thrift store. I see all types of gowns there all the time. Just need to try and find some that aren't too huge.

Ask area nurses, or hospitals for their cast off scrubs--- we usually have plenty.

Also-- one year my dd's dance class did a wedding song. They each wore veils, which were simply the bridal illusion hot glued to plastic headbands. Worked great, simple and less frustrating for little ones to wear.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Chef's hats, Rock star items (guitar, microphone, glittery items) Movie star and Diva items. Magic wand, top hat, princess wand

Sounds like you have some great ideas here. Let us know what you put in their boxes!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts