Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Microwave popcorn is cheaper than plain.

MW - 24 3 ounce bags for $5 at WM.

Reg - 2 lbs. for $4 at Winn Dixie.

And that is not even counting the oil, butter, etc. you add to plain.

I remember when plain was $.39 a pound, not too long ago.

·
2,688 Posts
I have some popcorn seed saved. Guess I better plant some in the garden next spring. I better start practicing.

I just did the math.
$ 5 divide by 72 oz = .0690
$ 4 divide by 64 oz = .0625

So the regular popcorn is still cheaper but not by much. Then if you add in the other ingrediants, then the microwave is cheaper.
When the big factories buy in bulk, they can get a better deal.

We eat a lot of popcorn. Guess I better do some comparison shopping. We like the WM brand of microwave. I do keep plain popcorn on hand just in case we run out.

PS....you just have to excuse me. I have this math brain and sometimes I put it in overdrive. Wait till I tell my son that microwave popcorn is a better deal now. We had a discussion about this awhile back. We were talking about cutting costs of things.

·
Registered
541 Posts
We have a large popcorn machine at work (70 employees in the building) and it has ruined me for microwave popcorn. I simply can't eat the MW anymore as it seems to leave a film in the roof of my mouth. The popcorn at work tastes just like it does from the movie theater. Don't know how the cost compares, but that's one thing I'll just have to splurge on at home; bought dd a smaller version of ours at work for Xmas last year. You can buy the popcorn, gallon of popcorn oil, & salt at Sam's & the prices seem reasonable.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I just like the way homemade tastes so much better. We eat a lot of popcorn as snacks.

·
2,688 Posts
Hi again - 2 pounds is 32 ounces, not 64.
I stand corrected. I slept in late this morning. Not good.

Guess I better price popcorn the next time in the store.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
The three ounces in the microwave bags isn't all popcorn. Some of the weight would be the guck they put in it for flavoring and whatnot. You're not actually getting three ounces of popcorn per bag.

Also, if I use my own popper and popcorn on the stove, almost every kernel pops, every time. With the microwave version, a lot of the popcorn is wasted so you can't actually eat what you've paid for. People claim you can re-pop what's left, but it's never worked for me, and who wants to mess with it anyway? Popping a four-quart popper full on the stove takes about the same amount of time as popping a little bag in the micro, so there's not even a time savings.

The taste of non-microwave popcorn is so far superior to the microwave version, it's apples and oranges, IMO. We settle for microwave popcorn only when we're camping to eliminate having to wash the popper. At home, we have the good stuff.

Has anyone else noticed the bags used for microwave popcorn don't seem big enough to even hold the amount of popped corn they claim you get per bag?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I use the presto pop corn popper and it always works well for me. Really do not live all the chemicals in the bagged popcorn plus the msg. Will make my own popcorn and if I am feeling really indulgent will fry up some bacon and add that also.

Now I better get off this thread while I still have the will power to NOT make some bacon popcorn. lol

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
the chemicals in the bagged popcorn plus the msg. lol
What brand are you eating that has MSG in it? No MSG in my brand.

I like the convenience of it.........and don't have an air popper---which I would like to try.

Jos.........have you looked at a store that carries bulk food?.........to check on the price?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I think the air popper is healthier, even if it is a bit more :)

The bags I buy at the store run $2.29, I will have to check the weight on them though.

·
2,688 Posts
I finally found this thread to add my info.

I went after a few groceries today and had a heck of a time finding plain popcorn. Only store I did find it in was Sav A Lot.

1 pound bag is $ 1.39 a pound.
And a 2 pound bag is $ 2.99
Made by 2 different companies.

Walmart microwave popcorn in the big box is 24 bags,
Weighs 3.65 pounds or 58.4 oz
So price per pound would be $ 1.37
Plain popcorn is $ 1.39 before anything added.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it does appear to be oh so close in price. Only thing I can't compare is the stuff they put in the micrwave bag besides the popcorn kernals.

Only suggestion I can come up with is that if you like the plain popcorn, maybe you better stock up on it. Harder to find, and yes the price did go up. Sigh :(

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
The price for micro popcorn will go up too, if it's going up for plain popcorn. It only makes sense for it to go up. Indiana was hard hit by drought this year, and a lot of popcorn is grown there.

There's still the issue of micro popcorn not popping all that well, leaving a lot of waste vs. stove top popcorn that all pops. Stove top popcorn wins that comparison hands down, making it a much better buy pound for pound. IMO, it does not make sense to compare prices per ounce without popping it first.

Hard to stock up much on popcorn. It does not pop as well as it gets old.

I'll be buying groceries today so will try to remember to check our two stores. We haven't bought any lately.

This thread makes me want to eat popcorn, which I'm currently trying not to do. :)

·
2,688 Posts
Actually we do well with the microwave popcorn.
Very few kernals left in the bag after popping.
Maybe it all depends on the make and model of the microwave ?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
That could be. Or the brand of the popcorn or the age of it. We've never had good luck with it though, using three or four different microwaves.

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To add to this topic, the eternal question --

Why do microwaves have a popcorn button, and yet, every microwave popcorn package says NOT to use the button on the microwave?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Why indeed.

Well, I priced popcorn at one of our stores today. I forgot when we were in the other, but they are usually a little bit cheaper. The house brand for a four pound bag of yellow popcorn was $4.43. The two pound bag of Jolly Time was about the same price per pound, just slightly higher. That's about the same we've been paying for a couple years now. The shelves were full, with plenty of selection for yellow or white, different brands, and different sizes.

I picked up a three-pack of micro popcorn on sale for $1.50 in the interest of science. Clearly, it's much cheaper for me to buy plain popcorn here. But I'll make the supreme sacrifice, probably tomorrow, and pop both types and see what happens.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Actually we do well with the microwave popcorn.
Very few kernals left in the bag after popping.
Maybe it all depends on the make and model of the microwave ?
I have good luck with it too.......seldom more than three of four kernels not popped.

And if you think the price of the other popcorn is crazy...........don't even price the caramel micro popcorn!!! but it is sooooooooo good........hot
caramel corn.......YUM!!! But there is a "knack" to cooking it..........and I don't like Orville's as well as I liked Act II and can't find the Act stuff anymore!!
And some stores don't carry any caramel............hope it isn't dying out! Because of the price it is my once a month treat!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
i have a popcorn popper on a cart, sams carries them. Has the same size kettle as a commercial size. I buy 50lb of it at sams at a time last time i bought it it was $22.00 so that makes it .44¢ a lb.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts