Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The government is shut down!:rcloud:
I am so glad that years ago I decided to follow Dave Ramsey principles and become debt free!! I was laughed at by my coworkers when I only ate lunches which I packed at home instead of going out, when I refused to buy a house with a mortgage, when I refused to upgrade my car, when I did not buy new clothes/shoes, when I stayed in my little apartment versus moving to a more affluent area....BUT IT WAS SOOO WORTH IT!!!
Because I am a federal employee and my agency is being affected.
The morale is low....to the point that my coworkers refused to complete the annual workplace survey.:dis:
There is a lot of anxiety, anger and negative talk in the hallways and offices.
However since I am debt free ( paid cash for my house), follow Dave Ramsey's principles and trust God I feel at peace!!!:dishes:

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Way to go Larabelle !!!!!!! It's a shame in our day and age, that you are the one that they laughed at - when they should have been spending their time looking up to you.

:hero:

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
So happy for you! It sounds though like your office is still working? Is it that the pay is on "lay a way"?
I have a feeling this one is not going to be over soon. I hope I'm wrong. Also think the effect is going to trickle down into many more jobs/places/ etc than just the furloughed people/places. People ( like us...and some not exactly LIKE us but still semi frugal ) are going to be cutting back even more and not spending which will affect stores, holiday shopping etc.

·
Registered
460 Posts
This gave me a bit of perspective. Thank you for posting this. Over the past couple of days, I've been getting really worked up over the budget and our Congressmen and President. I hate the Affordable Care Act. I hate our tax system. I hate our elected officials. I cannot continue to stew over this.

My home is paid for. We don't need either of our jobs. We could both retire right now at 39 and 45 years old. For that, I am grateful.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I am working, sans paycheck, because I am considered "essential." Some others in my office were furloughed. I am just hoping this doesn't last more than a few days, because I kind of like getting paid for what I do!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So happy for you! It sounds though like your office is still working? Is it that the pay is on "lay a way"?
I have a feeling this one is not going to be over soon. I hope I'm wrong. Also think the effect is going to trickle down into many more jobs/places/ etc than just the furloughed people/places. People ( like us...and some not exactly LIKE us but still semi frugal ) are going to be cutting back even more and not spending which will affect stores, holiday shopping etc.
I agree that people are going to start severely cutting back!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am working, sans paycheck, because I am considered "essential." Some others in my office were furloughed. I am just hoping this doesn't last more than a few days, because I kind of like getting paid for what I do!
I think we should prepare for the long haul...I heard that the last time this happened it was for 21 days.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I feel so sad for the folks who were already on a precarious financial perch, and proud of you guys for being financially secure and " weird" enough that you don't have to sweat it.

I'm glad the President didn't play chicken with these buffoons. It should be illegal to take on a ransom clause to an unrelated bill.

It would be nice for all my American neighbors to have medical, not be overextended or discriminated against when they get a disease..and have to choose between eating and paying the mortgage, or getting cancer treatment or heart surgery. I think it's a basic need of life worth fighting for!

That said, I hope this resolves quickly for everyone. No doubt, a lot of people are scared and having a hard time getting to sleep at night. I wish I could send everyone hugs, coffee, and cheesecake.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Way to go Larabelle !!!!!!! It's a shame in our day and age, that you are the one that they laughed at - when they should have been spending their time looking up to you.

:hero:
I just took it with a grain of salt.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
My mother, who is normally a tyrant, did a very sweet thing yesterday morning. She called me to make sure I was okay, and she told me that if I didn't get paid and needed money, that I could have my inheritance early. (She has set asided $30K for me to "balance" out the money my sister already got from her.) I told her I was okay and that I didn't think I'd be needing the money, but that I really appreciated the offer. My mother is VERY tight with her money, so I appreciated that the offer was from the heart, but I also know that having that $30K in savings makes her feel like SHE has a buffer, should she need one.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Day three and still working for free. :)
And it's appreciated. Some take the time to thank the military for working for free and forget the others who are also doing it. Thank you !!!!

Reactions: madhen

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Day three and still working for free. :)
I feel so sorry for you( BIG HUG) ...we have several employees in our agency who are not considered essential (very demeaning and DOWNRIGHT STUPID...I mean if you work you should be paid) and therefore are NOT being paid. Only by the grace of God am I being paid.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Wise beyond your years, however old you are, Larabelle. You lived like no one else and now you're living like no one else!

Madhen, I hope this is over sooner rather than later, for a whole variety of reasons, but especially for folks such as yourself.

Reactions: madhen

·
Registered
64 Posts
And it's appreciated. Some take the time to thank the military for working for free and forget the others who are also doing it. Thank you !!!!
Military isn't working for free. They passed a bill to pay the military already even in the event of a shutdown.

It's just everybody else.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Military isn't working for free. They passed a bill to pay the military already even in the event of a shutdown.

It's just everybody else.
The sad part is several of the people who support the military have been furloughed...so the military is working with ALOT less manpower.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts