Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know when I was attempting to pay down my debt in the back of my mind was a little voice saying " Is it REALLY worth it?"
Then when I got out of debt and began saving to pay cash for a house that same little voice echoed " Is it REALLY worth it?"
Then when I had saved the money up and was house shopping the little voice said " Just have a new house built I mean you qualify for a $170K mortgage. You deserve a new house. You are worth it!"
Then when I put money for updates into my little house ( update electrical system, minor stuff on plumbing) etc. The little voice said " Is it really worth putting money into this little house."

Well today I found out that a 12% pay cut is being seriously considered for my facility. That is discerning but not a catastrophe for me since I am in the financial position I am in now. So YES I can say it was REALLY worth it!
It was worth every restaurant meal I missed as I cooked at home.
It was worth every day living in a cheap apartment.
It was worth it every time I got into my old but reliable car.
It was worth purchasing clothes from the GoodWills and Salvation Army's.

Living like no one else now allows me to live like no one else. While colleagues are in a panic due to their debt I am concerned but not terribly upset. I know that I can make it! Thank-You Jesus!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
too true and AMEN!!
Dh was out of work for 3.5 months and the fact that we had no debt is why it went as well as it did. I am w/ ya 100%. No vacations for the last 5 years,old cars,used everything we could,stockpiling and opting out of classes,subscription and clubs.
Worth it. Yea you!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
That's so great! I'm glad your smart living has paid off and you will weather your life storm without fear and with dignity. Sleep well at night; you've earned it!

Reactions: larabelle

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good for you!! So totally worth it. I keep reminding myself of that every once in a while. Eventually we will be sitting in a much better position than a lot of my friends and coworkers.

Reactions: brenda67

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know what you mean. When you change your habits, and continue to save, you change your future. Like you, I cook and eat at home, buy my clothes at the Salvation Army, and I live in a 567 square foot cottage. I really watch what I spend, and make savings a top priority. You feel like you have a lot more control in life when you're not living paycheck to paycheck. Another thing I love about my older, smaller home is that it's inexpensive to heat and cool. Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
you're inspiring me! due to unexpected illness, my income dropped significantly and I am now not able to work and awaiting SSDI. Never expected this, I am a planner, especially about money, not working had never even really occurred to me. But I am slowly coming to realize just how much I need to cut everything way back and save every penny I can. Luckily, I was a great retirement saver and have been advised how to dip into those funds now if I have to and still not touch the principle. But I really want to try being very frugal before I touch that money. I was not good at saving for an unexpected job loss or disability, because it would've been really hard to put as much into retirement and fully fund an emergency fund. In the end, it doesn't really matter I guess what account you are taking emergency money from, I won't get dinged for using retirement money early. But I really wish I had been more frugal over the years and been better prepared for this sea change in my life. I wasn't a disaster, credit cards paid in full every month, but we ate out a lot, went to Disney a few times, good times but they are not necessary to having a good time. The Disney trips on one hand, I really regret because even though we used all the frugal tips out there, we still spent a lot. But those are some of our best memories. So I guess it makes no sense to look back and wonder "if only I hadn't spent on this or that", but instead start practicing more aggressive frugality now. I think that is wonderful that you can handle a 12% decrease in income and know that you will be ok. Well done!

·
4,028 Posts
Awesome and Inspiring! Congratulations on being in the position you've worked for so hard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is exactly what I need to hear today. Thank you, larabelle, for your inspiration as I trudge through the often challenging path to debt freedom. I had a big set back today (received a check for $6,000 less than I expected) and needed encouragement to keep my head up and persevere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts