Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbors dog has been barking NONSTOP for the last two hours. I have to work tomorrow(well I guess that would be today wouldn't it since it's 12:51am now) and that stupid dog will NOT shut up! UGH! They have several dogs and just let them bark constantly, every single night! This sounds like a little beagle because it's not barking exactly, it's more like a high pitched yelping or something. I'd like to strangle them AND the darned dog!!!!

Why don't I call the police you ask? Because my neighbor is the freakin dog catcher! Everything works on the good ole boy system here. I'd call the cops who would do NOTHING.

Dh got up and shut the windows which then made the house so hot that I couldn't sleep if I wanted to. So I got up to turn on the AC but can't sleep until the house cools off. It will be a busy day at work and I am the only employee there today so I should have fun dealing with cranky customers when I've had no sleep! UGH UGH UGH!!!!:angry:

·
19,119 Posts
I am so sorry that you have to deal with this - talk about a Catch 22. Isn't there anyone you can talk with? Why doesn't it bother them - the dog owners?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am so sorry that you have to deal with this - talk about a Catch 22. Isn't there anyone you can talk with? Why doesn't it bother them - the dog owners?
I've wondered for 14 years how they can let those dogs bark ALL night every night and get any sleep. As soon as it gets good and dark outside their dogs start to bark and they bark until it starts to get light out the next morning. And this goes on every single night. I had gotten somewhat used to the german shepards barking and could sleep through it somewhat. But this little yapping, squealing beagle is a new dog and it drives me up the wall! How they can sleep with it in their yard is beyond me! We've spent alot of hot summer nights either up all night because of the barking or having to shut the windows and turn on the AC. It's a shame to have to run the AC tonight because it's really cool outside.

There is noone to complain to. If I called the cops they would tell me to call the dog catcher and that wouldn't get me anywhere LOL. All they would do is cuss me out and hang up on me.

I did get an email a few minutes ago telling me my favorite campers are coming in today so that will help me at work LOL. They love to come in and talk to me all day, bring me yummy food, etc. so that will hopefully keep me awake and brighten my mood!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I had gotten somewhat used to the german shepards barking and could sleep through it somewhat.
Sorry you are having to put up with some IRRESPONSIBLE animal owners. That is the pits!

This must be where my 'old' neighbor went..........and good riddance. They had two german shepards that would bark all day and part of the night until they took them in the house! UGH! A very deep bark that could penetrate the walls of your house!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I can not stand it when a dog barks all the time. I can't stand my own dogs bark lol I know it has to bother the neighbors so as soon as they start barking for whatever reason we try to get them to stop right away. We have a lab and two Chihuahua mix, the chihuahua's have that high pitched voice and it gets on my nerves bad. I can be sound asleep upstairs and if one of them hears something and whines a little it wakes me up quickly.

I can't stand a beagles bark.....I would be yelling out the window for them to shut the darn dogs up lol Sure do wish they learn to not bark all night so you can get some sleep.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
There is noone to complain to. If I called the cops they would tell me to call the dog catcher and that wouldn't get me anywhere LOL. All they would do is cuss me out and hang up on me.
Um. A lot of times, when I hear "if I ____ they would ____", what it really mans is "I haven't ACTUALLY called ____ and asked, I'm just assuming and acting as if my assumption were reality."

Any chance that's the case here? Are you *assuming* the cops would tell you to call the dog catcher and that the dog catcher would cuss you out? Because *most* areas have laws about disturbing the peace, and late night dog barking qualifies in most areas as breaking those laws. So I'd be a little surprised if the cops were refusing to enforce the law, and if they were, then I'd be calling their bosses - the mayor or county official.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Put your concerns in writing, and send a letter to them and to the town council.
You could also start a neighbourhood petition, or send a letter to the editor in the local paper. It sounds like a problem that should be addressed.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I agree with Greebo, but in the meantime, try turning a fan on in your room, facing the wall so it's just there for 'white noise' > I work nights and sleep during the day, and that's how I manage to do it, because we live right on a state highway, school bus stop is in front of my house, plus just all the neighborhood noises.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Since you're up anyway, it would be a good time to catch up on a few things you don't have time for during the day. You know... listening to all those old CDs at top volume, getting that wood cut for the winter with your chain saw, installing glass-packed mufflers on your truck and then testing them to be sure they're loud enough. I'm sure you can think of lots of constructive ways to fill this time. When your neighbor comes out of the house you can honestly thank him for providing all this extra time for you.

·
2,688 Posts
I would be calling the police.

If trying contacting several people higher up in authority does not work....

My plan would be........
make a recording of the dogs.....
and play it back to them...........

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Um. A lot of times, when I hear "if I ____ they would ____", what it really mans is "I haven't ACTUALLY called ____ and asked, I'm just assuming and acting as if my assumption were reality."

Any chance that's the case here? Are you *assuming* the cops would tell you to call the dog catcher and that the dog catcher would cuss you out? Because *most* areas have laws about disturbing the peace, and late night dog barking qualifies in most areas as breaking those laws. So I'd be a little surprised if the cops were refusing to enforce the law, and if they were, then I'd be calling their bosses - the mayor or county official.
Well how about that? Greebo is wrong for once LOL! I live in the boonies. Everything here runs on the good ole boy system. Cops consistently don't enforce laws here if it involves neighbors, friends, other cops, etc. And there are no such rules about noise way out in the boonies. In town yes, but not out here. I have actually called the police several times over the last 14 years only to be told that it's the country, there are no rules about dogs barking unless you live in town. And now that she's the dog catcher, they would do NOTHING, she's part of the system now.

Would my neighbors cuss me out? Ummmmmmmm yeah! They are the most hated people in this county. They cuss and threaten to sue everyone over everything. They had an actual shooting war going on with the people who lived in this house before us. They have cussed out teachers, school board members, the trash guy, their babysitter, real estate agents, etc. They actually got so nasty with the trash guy that I had to cancel my service because I called to lodge a complaint and he thought I was her and cussed me out because she is always nasty with him!

And the mayor? Yeah that's funny! The mayor is the mayor of TOWN, not my area. Little country areas don't have mayors.

A police officer told me in June that no cop in the area is going to come out here because her dogs bark because she took the dog catcher job and noone else wants it. They have to have one and they aren't going to do anything to piss her off and make her quit. He told me and I quote "I hate to say it, but you are just up a creek without a paddle".

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I should have been more clear in my post. This is the boonies. There is no town, no neighborhood, no other neighbors, no neighborhood organizations, etc. There are a handful of good ole boy police officers who work the entire county. They are overworked and underpaid and they only answer really important calls. Case in point...... our little store here doesn't open until 9 on Sunday mornings. One Sunday I was going in to work at 8 and stopped by there to get a paper out of the box around 7:30. There was a car in the lot I didn't know and I could see someone moving in the store. I went to the pay phone and called 911. They informed me that the ONE officer on duty for the county was transporting a criminal to another county and wouldn't be back for 2 hours. So for those two hours we had NO law enforcement in my county. Not only did they not look into the problem at the store, they didn't even call the owner to let him know about it! I know, I asked him!

Please don't assume that I haven't called the police over 14 years of this. I have. Only to be told that barking dog rules don't apply in the boonies, only in town. That the dog catcher only picks up dogs in town(years ago), that the dog catcher won't pick up a stray unless it's shown to be mean(now), etc. I've called the police about their son and his friends racing their cars down our road at 1am only to be told there are no officers in the area. The man who owns the property coming in our road has called about them illegally hunting on his property. But they are good friends with the game warden so nothing is ever done.

Country life is way different that living in towns or cities. By neighbor I mean 1/4 mile down the road from me. We live up on a hill so the sound travels up. I could go out and make alot of noise but the only thing that would accomplish would be to wake my kids up. This is not a town or city where there are a lot of police officers and they enforce every little law. Heck when I lived in town in a sub-division I had to call about the dog next door barking right under my bedroom window and the cops there didn't even come out and do anything. Things are just different here!

And I've tried the fan thing. I can NOT sleep with a fan on in my room. Dh can and does when he works night shift but the noise drives me crazy. I've tried ocean sounds, etc. It all drives me nuts all night!

Their dogs were unusually quiet all of last night so I did get some sleep. Thanks for the hugs and words of support!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Have you got a nice big bone in the freezer, with a little meat left on it? Nuke it real quick in the Micro? (to thaw) I would go out there and give it to the dog.

Whilst he's chewing, you could fall asleep and maybe not wake up when he begins again.

I'd also keep a stockpile of bones just for neighbor-dog. :monke:

·
Registered
906 Posts
What are the tv stations like? Our news here loves to cover stories like that. I'd video the situation and send it off. Our news would be on it in a heartbeat esp since they are the dog catcher.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Since you're up anyway, it would be a good time to catch up on a few things you don't have time for during the day. You know... listening to all those old CDs at top volume, getting that wood cut for the winter with your chain saw, installing glass-packed mufflers on your truck and then testing them to be sure they're loud enough. I'm sure you can think of lots of constructive ways to fill this time. When your neighbor comes out of the house you can honestly thank him for providing all this extra time for you.
I'm with Tater on this! If they like country music, it's time to get Wagner out--six hours of "The Ring", anyone? How about Don Ho--"Tiny Bubbles" can't be as bad as a Beagle's bay! AC/DC? DEF Leppard? Avenge Sevenfold?

How about an all-night party with your favorite good ol' boy friends? You can try target shooting in the dark (by Braille?) Jim Beam, anyone?

Don't forget to repair you car. You MUST test it by revving the engine...repeatedly...ad naseum.

How about a cheer leader camp for a few nights? The girls have to practice their cheers somewhere!

Get creative. Have fun.GET EVEN.:fuming::soapbox::punch:

·
Registered
212 Posts
It is funny to imagine ways to torture the neighbors with epic sessions of banjo picking music with the volume cranked up to 11, but I think that will just up the ante and she'll have more than a barking dog to contend with.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is funny to imagine ways to torture the neighbors with epic sessions of banjo picking music with the volume cranked up to 11, but I think that will just up the ante and she'll have more than a barking dog to contend with.
While I agree that torturing them would be a lot of fun, they would NOT take it well and that would just be bad for my family. They had an actual shooting war with the people who lived here before us and I have kids to think of. They are mean and nasty people and I won't put my kids in danger because of them. Not to mention all the fun the things I could do to make noise would just keep my kids up all night LOL!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you got a nice big bone in the freezer, with a little meat left on it? Nuke it real quick in the Micro? (to thaw) I would go out there and give it to the dog.

Whilst he's chewing, you could fall asleep and maybe not wake up when he begins again.

I'd also keep a stockpile of bones just for neighbor-dog. :monke:
Wouldn't work here. This isn't a neighborhood where you can just step outside and throw a bone over the fence into the neighbor's yard. They are 1/4 mile down the road. I'd have to get up, nuke the bone, get in the car and drive to their property line, get out and open the gate, get back in, drive on down to the house and probably get shot in the process! Not to mention I'd be wide awake by the time I got home!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What are the tv stations like? Our news here loves to cover stories like that. I'd video the situation and send it off. Our news would be on it in a heartbeat esp since they are the dog catcher.
When I say boonies, I mean BOONIES(heck I have to travel 45 minutes to get to Walmart)! The closest tv station to us is about 100 miles away. Nothing gets coverage here unless it's a really nasty murder or something like that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts