Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so DH is a perpetual spender. We got a large tax return this year. I automatically thought debt reduction while he thought a new guitar.

After much discussion, some arguing, he's finally agreed that the best thing to do is to put it toward his loan!!!

I'm so happy, I'm finally getting through to him!!!

Just wanted to let you all know!

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
That's great, my DH sounds somewhat like your DH but after some talking we can convince them, I am glad you were able to persuade him! :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
My Husband isn't a bad spender but when we get large sums of money he immediatly thinks "what can I buy." When we got our tax return he started thinking of all the things he could get for his truck, but I wanted to pay off debt. I came up with this idea- whatever we got back, he gets a 1/4, I get a 1/4, debt gets a 1/4 and savings gets a 1/4. It worked really well and nobody felt like somebody spent all the money. He could still get a few items he wanted but at the same time we weren't just blowing all the money we got. I
think we'll do it again next year, but hopefully I won't have a s much debt anymore!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Way to go!! Glad it's going to the loan!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I understand how you feel , my DH Wanted to do the same thing. *sighs* Men I dont think i will every really get their thinkin...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yeah good for you. It took me awhile to get my dh on board with me to. The one thing I did that finally convinced him was a snowball chart showing how long we had to pay everything off (except mortgage). I even put in minimal numbers to allow wiggle room. I think we might be able to do this faster. He was then all for it and so cooperative he even pays the monthly bills now and I take care of the rest of the money. It has worked out really well.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
That's wonderful :).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts