Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH was laid off this morning due to staff reductions. We had a feeling it might be coming and so we had really started to watch the spending and put as much extra as we could away. They did give him his vacation time and a severance package so that is definately a plus. We have already worked the budget to see how long the money will last. I work full time but bring home about a quarter of what my husband brought home so we will have to dip into the savings to make ends meet and we will have to be very very frugal (I will be searching the village to refresh my memory). It will be a challenge but it is doable for quite a while. Hopefully he can find a job quickly. His company said they would not fight unemployment but it will not kick in until the amount of his severance equal to his pay is used up which is about 3 months.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this news. There were layoffs today at my company as well. It is awful to know they are coming and to have to wait to see what happens. I am sending good thoughts and hugs your way

Reactions: 3tomboys

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
So sorry to hear that, but it sounds like you've got a plan in place and are not going to let this get you down.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I am so sorry this happened to you, and glad that you had at least a little advance warning. If your state permits, sign up for unemployment benefits even if they don't kick in yet, just so that nothing is missed.
If he gets a job in the meantime, well, that is just great and he can then cancel the unemployment.

Good luck and I hope things turn around quickly.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I'm so sorry about this :hugz: You're right to keep active on the FV, you'll get lots of great ideas on stretching your budget during this layoff.

Wishing your and yours the best, and praying for your DH to get a new job quickly.

Polly

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I'm sorry that your husband has lost his job. I'm glad that they won't fight the unemployment. Hugs to you and hang in there.

·
2,688 Posts
Sorry. Hope things turn around for you soon.
Stick to a tight budget and you should make ends meet.

We lost some income here ourselves recently. Only thing saving us, is we knew it was coming and have a good stockpile of food and other misc items. I been going to garage sales more lately looking for bargains.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this. You have a plan which is great. Double think every single item you buy and I will be sending positive thoughts that've finds something soon. ((hugs))

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the best wishes, hugs and prayers. DH will be filing for unemployment Tuesday. There were some circumstances that made us feel that we needed to consult with an attorney so DH did not sign for his severance package. They gave him today to see an attorney. We have done that and he will be getting his severance check on Monday afternoon. We do have some stockpile so that will come in handy food wise. I have the first load of laundry hanging to dry. Shouldn't take to long with the temp in the 90's. The garden is already giving us lettuce (probably not much longer due to the heat) and tomatoes. Hopefully we will start seeing some bell peppers and watermelons soon. The herbs have come in well and the carrotts will probably be ready soon as well. My youngest DD (she is 15) has already said she will make bread, pretzels, etc during the week while I am at work. She loves to bake and it will help a lot. We are staying positive and we know we will be fine. When I stayed home with DD's when they were small we lived on a lot less, so I will just have to get back in the groove of total frugality. Thank you again for the hugs, prayers and best wishes.

·
19,119 Posts
You are approaching this situation so wisely - that will serve as a strong base see you through this. I'm sorry it hapened to you, but really appreciate your sharing here so others can learn and plan too. Let us know how things are going please. There is a lot of good information here and I'm sure you'll have a lot to share too!!

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
this is so tough....... I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.
hope he can find work soon.
keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
DH was laid off this morning due to staff reductions. We had a feeling it might be coming and so we had really started to watch the spending and put as much extra as we could away. They did give him his vacation time and a severance package so that is definately a plus. We have already worked the budget to see how long the money will last. I work full time but bring home about a quarter of what my husband brought home so we will have to dip into the savings to make ends meet and we will have to be very very frugal (I will be searching the village to refresh my memory). It will be a challenge but it is doable for quite a while. Hopefully he can find a job quickly. His company said they would not fight unemployment but it will not kick in until the amount of his severance equal to his pay is used up which is about 3 months.
Thank you for the best wishes, hugs and prayers. DH will be filing for unemployment Tuesday. There were some circumstances that made us feel that we needed to consult with an attorney so DH did not sign for his severance package. They gave him today to see an attorney. We have done that and he will be getting his severance check on Monday afternoon. We do have some stockpile so that will come in handy food wise. I have the first load of laundry hanging to dry. Shouldn't take to long with the temp in the 90's. The garden is already giving us lettuce (probably not much longer due to the heat) and tomatoes. Hopefully we will start seeing some bell peppers and watermelons soon. The herbs have come in well and the carrotts will probably be ready soon as well. My youngest DD (she is 15) has already said she will make bread, pretzels, etc during the week while I am at work. She loves to bake and it will help a lot. We are staying positive and we know we will be fine. When I stayed home with DD's when they were small we lived on a lot less, so I will just have to get back in the groove of total frugality. Thank you again for the hugs, prayers and best wishes.
It's amazing how calm, cool, and quite collected you are about this scary situation...I would be running around without knowing which way to turn...lol
You've obviously have already done much of the planning about how to take care of this until your DH find another job...very wise of you.
We'll be sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers your way...wish you the best!! :grouphug:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds like you have a plan.....don't ya love it when a plan comes together?

Will keep you in my prayers.

·
27,948 Posts
Sorry this has happened to your family but I'm glad you have such a positive outlook on it. You are definitely going to be OK and when the dust settles I'm guessing things will more than likely be going in an even better direction. Just think back on how many Villagers have been struck a bad situation and then it worked out even better than they dreamed.
Glad you, hubby and kids are working on this together. You've got a strong home base and can build good things from there.
Cheering you all on from here. :hugz: :cheergrl:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't really know why I'm being so calm about this. I guess it is because I got to crazy several weeks ago when we really started feeling like it was coming. In reality it is the hand we have been dealt at this time so we have to deal with it. There isn't anything else we can do. Of course today one of are GFi plugs went out so DH was off to Home Depot got the part and fixed it. Would have cost a lot more if we would have had to hire an electrician. I have hung 2 loads of laundry and have my dinner already planned. I have to admit it seems like a challenging game. We know that we will have to draw on our savings every month to make it all work, but are goal is to take as little as possible. My Dh has started making a list of things for a garage sale and has started networking with people he knows and one's he has worked with in the past. Not a great time to sell a house but we will if the only employment is elsewhere. We will just keep plugging away and I will keep searching FV for all possible ideas.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
So sorry to hear this happened to you. But am glad to hear you had some advance warning and were able to prepare to some extent. Wishing you all the best in the coming months, and hopefully a new job will turn up soon!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts