Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my best friend will be heading out to North Carolina the on July 5. It will be the 2 of us, my 4 kids, and her 2. I need input. This has to be a very frugal trip so we will be camping the entire time and packing a cooler all that stuff, but if anybody has any great frugal travel tips please send them this way. Also what should we see while we are there? We are completly playing it by ear. We know we want to spend some time in Wilmington and then on the Outer Banks. Our time frame is 7-10 days and we plan to do this on $500.00 a piece. We are the adventurous type and we are not afraid to camp and do all the money saving things. In fact I think it will be more fun. I am a born road tripper and dh hates it so thank goodness for my best friend. So what are your ideas. Oh ya. bf's son is adhd and it is not under control whatsoever. Whole new post there with bad docs and so on, but anybody with experience in this could you help with tips for keeping him somewhat happy on the 18 hour trip. Ok I am rambling cause I am excited, but any advice help is appreciated! TIA!

·
27,948 Posts
I don't have any tips for you Angelee but wanted to tell you that I admire your sense of adventure.:) Hope you guys have a blast!!!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
6 kids ???????? You'll have your hands full and you are going to need LOTS of food !!!!!!
I hope you all have a great time !!!!!!!!!
Make up some craft kits to take along......
Cut plastic from milk cartons and cut shapes, punch holes and make sewing cards...........
Look on the internet for some travel games to play in the car.......
Take some fun kids music.......
Take some old blue jeans and make shoulder bags and use them for hiking bags, let the kids gather things that are important to have on such an adventure.... Compose, binoculars, empty pill bottles for collecting nature things, water bottle or canteen, some plaster powder in a zip lock baggy for collecting animal tracks, magnifying glass, snacks, ect....... Let them make their own walking sticks........
Print some pages of local animals and plants to use as a field guide, things to watch for and things to avoid. Color some flour made into different colors and take along in bags so the kids can make Indian sand art on the ground.......
http://www.lessonplanspage.com/ArtPaintingWithSandp12.htm
Take an extra blanket and some rope or cord and let them make a teepee, take some old fabric and let them make Native American headdresses...... Let them play and pretend... Remind them that Native American people were peaceful.............. Let their imaginations entertain them......

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
have fun and dont forget your coupons book or how ever u organize them..u never know when u may find a bargin or be able to save money

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Check out the what campsites are available NOW!!!! Things will get booked up really quickly around that time of year so make reservations if they take them. I'd plan on spending lots of time at the beach and buying one of those Entertainment Book coupon books that are on sale now for about $10 for that area. You'll save tons of money with it!

With your friend's son being ADHD, I'd say try and keep a semi-normal routine for him and watch what he eats. Too much sugar and some additives and preservatives could make his acting out behavior worse. This is going to sound strange, but sometimes caffiene has a calming effect on children with ADHD. One of my former students and I would have a cup of coffee together in the morning at school (with his mother's blessing) and it really helped him to calm down and concentrate. I found this to be the case with my own borderline AD son.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Angelee~sounds like you are in for an adventure! I think you will have a great time. I usually print off some travel games and make one for each of the children to do while in the car. I don't know if you have a dollar tree near you, but I already picked some up for my boys for our July trip. They have travel battle ship, checkers, etc. This should keep them busy for a little while. I like Lori's idea of making them each a travel bag. You can add snacks to each one of the bags daily so the kids won't have to always be complaining they are hungry.

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will definatly check the dollar tree for those. Lori~ I love the idea of travel bags for each of them. I make bags and selll thme on ebay and I didn't think of this? Here's the kids ages to help. 9, 8, 7, 5, 3, and 3.I am getting great ideas thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Wow, have a great time!

We're driving to NC during that time too...how long of a drive is it for you? It'll take us around 14 hrs, and we're staying in the Charlotte area.

Good luck with all those kids :) I'm having a hard time dealing with the idea that I'll have my 2 with me when we go, let alone 6!!! :laugh:

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's 18 to the outer banks for us. My 4 have been to: New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, and Kansas. We are a road trip family so I know they will do fine. We are going 12 hrs the first day and camping in the smoky mountains and then continuing on to Wilmington/ Wrightsville Beach area for 2 days then we are going to the outer banks for some time. We will mostly play it by ear. Makes it more fun!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Wow, your kids have been to more states than I have ;) I love to travel; I wish we could do it more often.

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Me too! I live for road trips. I want an rv so bad I can't stand it. My dh works a lot in the summer so I have been known to trek out all by myself with the kids. My kids even know how to pitch camp! As soon as the car stops we all have certain jobs and jump out and do them and they are ten times better behaved at a campground than a hotel. We do it as cheap as humanly possible or else we wouldn't be able to do it either. What do you plan on doing in North Carolina?

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I'm visiting a bunch of friends--we're having a gathering on the 5th. I haven't come up with all of the fun stuff we'll do yet, but I think we'll be going to the zoo, Concord Mills, maybe to the mountains for a day trip. I'm not sure yet.

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We are going to try to make it to the zoo, but only if we can manage it on a tuesday. The rates are adults-$10.. kids $6.00, but on Tuesdays evryone gets in for 2/$10.00.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts