Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I saw a cuisinart ice cream maker at Shoprite for 50% off. So for the last two weeks have been telling myself if it is still on sale I should pick one up. I had an ice cream maker but threw it out when on a cleaning jag and was going dairy free. Anyway, I now have a new ice cream maker for only $30. The bucket is in the freezer. There is even a recipe for coconut ice cream that is dairy free!!! So I hope this will help save me some money since the pint size coconut ice cream is about $6.00 here. I plan on adding cocoa powder to the recipe to make a chocolate coconut ice cream.

·
8,714 Posts
~Oh that sounds so good!
I can't tolerate too much "raw" dairy anymore so I rarely indulge in ice cream. I have a Cuisinart ice cream maker too and it's a great little machine. Just 15 minutes to tasty goodness. ;) Mostly mine is used for frozen daiquiris and margaritas since it's more cost effective to buy regular ice cream for the kids than to make it. I should probably try this one with almond milk: Dairy Free Vanilla Custard Ice Cream - Cuisinart Original - Desserts - Recipes - Cuisinart.com
Let me know how you like the coconut recipe. ~

·
8,714 Posts
~As a side note, just checking the newer models of this machine on Amazon and my goodness have these things gone up in price! I got mine as a wedding gift with a receipt attached. It cost just $30 in 2000. Are they gold-plating them now? :p ~

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
We also have an ice cream maker. Love that! A can of evaporated fat free milk, a third cup of sugar or Splenda, and some vanilla made with coconut rum. Too tasty!

For camping, we have an ice cream ball that makes great ice cream, too.

I prefer homemade ice cream in spite of the price difference because we can avoid all the gunk that's in commercial ice cream, but we do still buy it sometimes, and of course when you're feeding a family it makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
LOL -just had some freshmade ice cream on Saturday. The living history farm I go to does the ice harvest for their first event of the year and one of things they do is the ice cream. They get the kids who are on site to do the churning (it's an old handcranked one). But there's such a different taste between store bought and freshmade.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brilly, my favorite drink is a cup of coffee with a big scoop of ice cream in it. Am still waiting for the bucket to finish freezing. Dairy free ice cream is really expensive store bought. Will try making some ice cream with rice milk, so it will be more of an ice. The mix I made tastes really good so right now am going a little bonkers waiting to make the ice cream. You know, like a kid with a new toy with no batteries. Can't agree with you more about making ice cream. To many additives in so many ice creams. I would purchase breyers when on sale, was the only kind I could find that was basic ingredients.

I do remember the hand crank ice cream makers. In the summer time once a year a neighbor would make peach ice cream. Everyone got a small taste and it was soooooo good.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
When I was a kid, I learned to make ice cream from my grandma in an old hand-crank ice cream maker. We used to have ice cream on holidays like July 4. Happy times.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the ice cream is finished. Turned out pretty good!!! The recipe I used is on the cuisinart website. I added a tablespoon of cornstarch to help make it thicker. Saw this tip on another website.

One of the places I worked the last day of summer camp they would make ice cream with a handcrank. The kids would take turns cranking the machine. Just think, with all the electronic devices out there handcranked ice cream may become just a memory. lol

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I think anytime a kid can experience something done by hand, it's good for them. That way they learn it's possible to do things for yourself, and that things don't just appear magically on the store shelves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts