Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is about simple living, spirituality, or just plain mad but I'm thinking :eek:

Why do we 'need' so much stuff? And what would really happen (apart from peace if we didn't have it)

Now I KNOW (probably more than anybody) that I am prone to madness, complusion and obsessions but...... I hope this will all make sense? My thoughts are all over the place!

My Dad used to say (lots) that God would supply all your NEEDS. But what are needs? Shelter, warmth, food (I can't think of any others?)

I just said in another post I took away most of my kids toys (not a cruel or punishment thing) they just DON'T play with them, now I'm thinking of Christmas - they would be devastated if they didn't wake up to a mountain of new stuff BUT that is the buzz NOT what they have - once opened it will all be instant clutter!

In my de-clutter bid (which incidently isn't getting very far) I'm walking around thinking stuff like I live in a very small house, (alright there is loads of us) but we have THREE sofas and a sofa Bed!!! First I thought I could get rid of one and free up space but I 'could' get rid of them all.

My Grand parents didn't have STUFF and apparently they were happier than us.

Mother Teresa (as far as I'm aware?) had one Sari and a bible!

How much do we REALLY need? And would it be awful if we/I got rid of EVERYTHING - I KNOW I'm a bit obsessive but I have honestly thought about this over and over for years.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
i got rid of a futon and a sofa (at least one sofa) this year. I decided to have only as much seating space in the room as we would need to have if we were all in that room with a guest in the house. I have lots more to go yet, but I won't get rid of all we have. we use it, and it feels so much better to us to sleep on a bed, sit on a couch, and eat at the table that it would to eat, sit, sleep on the floor. Dh is terrified I am gonna go "too far" for his comfort with the decluttering.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Bev, living with less stuff is good, but don't give away all your stuff...You do need at least one sofa to sit on! lol and a few other things too, I'm sure.

Chose what you really need AND love...don't throw it all away...you might regret it later. And it's always good to save *some stuff* in case you need it. I know, I know, God will always be there for us, but still...save a little...y'a know what I mean? :)

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Yes, it would be obsessive if you got rid of all your stuff. But we certainly don't need all that we have, no doubt about that.

I could wash my clothes by hand, but I refuse to do that. I could sleep on the floor, but no one would be able to talk to me the next day. I could sew by hand, but I want my fancy sewing machine.

But I don't want upmteen sewing machines, or umpteen couches, or umpteen shoes, kwim. I'm content with what I have and thats little. I don't need all the stuff to make me happy. I'm also not concerned about letting go of stuff. If I should ever need something, I can always find it at a yard sale.

Yes Mother Teresa only had one Bible and one sari and was content, but God had called her to that specific way of living. There aren't many who can live like that.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mmmmm in the back of my mind I do know it's obsessive (I think LOL) - Well it is when you have other people to think of too, Like your kids etc.

And unless there was a disaster or I had one MASSIVE house sale it would probably take the rest of my life to do it anyway, but it always seems like it would be really nice to have no 'stuff' to think about in my fantasy!

I'd be better off sleeping on the floor at the moment my bed is the pits! But I get the general point.

Thinking about it rationally, I'd be suicidal if I had to wash our clothes by hand! :eek: LOL

But I'm not sure much of my stuff brings me 'real' happiness? My computer does that's where my friends are (although it's 'another' addiction) and I have some nice ornaments, although I don't notice them that much.

The things I have that truely do make me happy are things I don't really look at, but I KNOW I have them - Like stuff my Dad left me and pictures of my Kids etc. - Sentimental Stuff.

Maybe I should start looking for a middle ground - except 'middle' isn't something I do well. Maybe I should just stop THINKING about it all and GET ON WITH SOMETHING!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts