Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I make other than meatballs, meatloaf, tacos, or Sheppard pie??

DH says he really needs something different, and I agree!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You could do lettuce wrap. Sorta like a taco concept, but instead of a tortilla you use iceberg lettuce and season the meat with soy sauce or other Asian flavors. Super easy and definitely a change from the regular old stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
spegetti.....let me think on some more

edited to add:

sloppy joes
an infinite number of casseroles
enchiladas
burgers......

·
Registered
867 Posts
Add stuff into the beef while you make the burger patties to have fancy gourmet burgers. :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish DH would go for the wraps. I can't do spaghetti or burgers we make them all the time =[

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Beef Taco Skillet

1lb hamburger
4 large tortillas cut up in 1-in pieces
1 can tomato soup
1 cup salsa (any kind)
1 cup water

Brown hamburger, add all of the other ingredients and cook on medium for 5 minutes. It's really yummy and what we had for dinner last night.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks that does sound good but its still taco-y to me. Are there any non taco-y foods that can be made with ground beef? I always thought of it as something so diverse, but all I can think of is italian and mexican.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have a recipe in the FV cookbook called Porcupine meatballs that is not mexican or italian...but it is meatballs. On my post under my mood click the Recipes link...I have 7 but they are not all ground beef related. I have made the Porcupine meatballs as a meatloaf too...but then again you're not looking for meatloaf.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha guess we are picky eats!!! How about stuffed peppers?? How are those made?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Would a garbage plate be too much like burgers?

Beef stroganoff? Ghoulash? Season it Asian-y , pickup some cheap wonton wrappers and make dumplings?

Mmmmm... steamed dumplings....

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've always found stuffed peppers to be kinda bland and boring looking. I bet stuffed habañeros would be more lively! ;)

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I sometimes do a skillet dish with hamburger and veggies.

hamburger, browned
chopped onion
diced potatoes
frozen mixed veg - pre cooked

Cook the onion and potato in a little oil. (Could also add other seasoning veg like celery, bell pepper, etc. with potatoes and onion.) Add the meat and mixed vegetables, could add tomatoes. Cook until hot through.

This can be seasoned any way you want. It comes out to be a sort of hash thing.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
How about Stuffed Cabbage or Stuffed Peppers?

STUFFED CABBAGE

1 med. head cabbage, cored
1 1/2 c. cooked rice
2 lbs. ground chuck, hamburger or ground pork & veal mixed
1 med. onion, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 can tomato soup
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce

Core and cook cabbage, about 20 minutes until soft. Separate leaves, cool. Mix ground beef, 1/2 of the onions, salt and pepper and rice by hand. Peel hard vein off cabbage leaves. Place handful of meat and rice mixture on each leaf. Fold sides over and roll up. Chop up remaining cabbage and place on the bottom of roasting pan. Sprinkle remaining onion on top of chopped up cabbage. Place cabbage rolls on top of chopped cabbage. In bowl mix tomato soup, tomato sauce and 2 cups water. Pour over stuffed cabbage. Cover and bake 2 hours. Best if made day before.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
STUFFED PEPPERS (if you want, you can just use jarred sauce for this)

Filling:

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground pork
1/2 cup instant rice
1 egg
1/4 cup ketchup
1 medium onion
1 1/2 tablespoons parsley flakes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

Sauce:

3 large cans crushed tomatoes (Italian style)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons parsley flakes
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Meat Filling:

Cook rice until tender. Add rice to remaining ingredients for filling and mix well. Slice tops off peppers. Remove seeds and cores; wash and drain. Add uncooked meat filling mixture to peppers. Set stuffed peppers in a large sauce pan with the meat filling side up.

Sauce:

In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, garlic, parsley and Worcestershire. Pour over peppers.
Cook over medium heat until filling is hot, then reduce to low heat and simmer, covered, until peppers are tender when pierced with a fork, and meat filling is done.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Would he go for Cheeseburger Pie?

IMPOSSIBLE CHEESEBURGER PIE

1/2 tsp. shortening
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
1 1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. Bisquick baking mix
3 eggs
9x13 inch dish, greased

Cook beef and onion; drain. Stir in salt and pepper. Spread beef mixture in pan. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Beat milk, Bisquick and eggs until smooth. Pour evenly into pan. Bake 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italian Hamburger Deep Dish---sounds so good!

1 pound lean ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 2/3 cups water
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon salt, if desired
2 tablespoons instant minced onion
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
2 2/3 cups Betty Crocker® Potato Buds® mashed potatoes (dry)
3 to 4 medium medium tomatoes, sliced
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced

1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease rectangular baking dish, 11x7x1 1/2 inches. Cook beef, 1 teaspoon salt, the pepper and garlic in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain.
2. Heat water, milk, butter, 1 teaspoon salt, the onion and oregano to boiling in saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in dry potatoes just until moistened. Let stand about 30 seconds or until liquid is absorbed. Whip with fork until as fluffy as you'd like. Spread half of the potato mixture on bottom of baking dish. Layer with beef and half of the tomatoes. Top with remaining potatoes and tomatoes; sprinkle with cheese.
3. Bake uncovered about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) Bake about 35 minutes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground Beef and Twice baked Potato Pie----Another yummy one :)

1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup Progresso® plain bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 package (1 lb 8 oz) refrigerated garlic mashed potatoes
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
1/4 cup chopped fresh tomato, if desired
2 slices precooked bacon, chopped, if desired
2 medium green onions, chopped (2 tablespoons), if desired

1. Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, mix beef, onion, bread crumbs, sage, salt and egg until well blended. Press in bottom of ungreased 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes evenly over top. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
2. Bake uncovered about 50 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in center of beef mixture reads 160°F. Sprinkle with tomato, bacon and green onions.

Hope you find something you like!

Theresa :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh man they all sound good but I gotta go with the stuffed peppers!!! DH does not eat the pepper but he loves the inside! Yum!! What would go with stuffed peppers as a side dish??

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
If he doesn't eat the peppers, you can do what my Mom did - I wouldn't eat the peppers either - make up the meat mix, cook some beside the stuffed peppers... it got the taste without actually having to touch the pepper :lol:

For sides, salad, or veggies and mashed potatoes

·
Registered
207 Posts
Another simple dish is BBQ cups.

Brown ground meat. (drain)
Add chopped onions and BBQ sauce.
In a muffin tin, put down cheap can biscuits (push down and make come up the sides) Fill cups with meat mixture. Top with 1/4 slice of American cheese (shredded whatever you have)
Bake according to biscuit directions. Let cool for a few minutes and then take out. My bunch loves these. Good with a salad and vegetable.

Reactions: sabrelvssammy

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Meatballs Marsala: make meatballs, make a brown mushroom gravy and add 1/3 cup of Marsala wine. Let this cook down a bit and add meatballs as it simmers. Serve over rice or noodles.

Empanadas: these are from Argentina and don't taste "taco-y", Argentine Meat Empanadas - All Recipes

Scotch meat pie: a little different than shepard's pie, Scottish Meat Pie The Real Potato.

Reactions: mamamia
1 - 20 of 29 Posts