Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
living on my front porch. Every night I go outside and there they are, spinning their webs, waiting for their dinner. I like to look at the webs, but, honestly, it's starting to look a Halloween display. I am always afraid I will run into one, and well, not too over joyed with the prospect of a brown spider running down my back, I'm beginning to think I should name them.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I'm not too fond of spiders, but Dh hates them. He thinks any spider that is slightly brown in color is a brown recluse...:lol:, and if it's black it's automatically a black widow. He actually did find a black widow in our garage in June.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
LOL, well you know what I'd do if I came to close, face to face, lol:nerv2: :ack:

If I know where they are ahead of time we just give each other wide birth, lol.

kj

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I take it back. There are 4 spiders now..LOL We've named them Moe, Larry, Curly, and CurlyJoe, although I would have preferred Shemp. LOL

·
Registered
546 Posts
HAHA. I've done that. I had a couple of daddy long legs spiders living in my bathroom and I named them Joe and Jack. Then my mom found them and FREAKED OUT! so I put them outside so she wouldn't smash them.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I'm not fond enough of spiders to let them stay on my porch :lol:

Funny story about daddy long legs though. We were outside and my 5yo ds was bug hunting. He found 4 or 5 daddy long legs and was telling me about them.

I said, 'well, leave them alone. They are probably a family'.

He looks at me strange and says "no, they are Daddy long legs!' like duh mom LOL!! :laugh:

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
We have so many spiders, snakes and every other type of flying, crawling, critter down here, I'm just used to them I guess.

My late sister in law though, had such a fear for spiders and lizzards, that she would litterly hurt herself trying to get away from them. Called me one day to come into town (Darien) because she thought she saw a lizzard in her livingroom. When I got there, she had almost emptied the entire contents of her house onto the front lawn, and a neighbor man across the street was inside hunting for the lizzard. He found it, scared and breathing hard, behind the toilet brush holder in the bathroom. She had the whole neighborhood upset over a lizzard. Afterwards, the neighborhood kids referred to her as "the crazy lizzard lady!" LOL She passed away in her sleep about 3 years ago and they said she had had a heart attack. My husband still thinks to this day that it was probably brought on by either a lizzard or spider that probably found it's way into her bed.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
We have several that live on our patio and do the web building at nite. I like that they cut down their webs in the daytime, keeps me from having to knock em down. Now, if the little ones that get into the house would just do me the same favor.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really...LOL spiders that would come in and make a web, clean up other insects, then clean up after themselves...I could appreciate that. These spiders are not daddy long legs though.....LOL

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
If they are living on your porch I suggest a proper lease and rent to be paid on the 1st of every month, actually, with their short life span, get the rent weekly.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Ewww. They would be dead! I hate all spiders, and trust me, we have some huge ones around here! In FL.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I love spiders, they're my favorite animal! They're so creative and beautiful and they keep the flies away! I never squish a spider. People call me to come get rid of them for them! :p

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Actually, there is one on the car door mirror of my driver's side. His name is Hank. I can't bear to get rid of him, he's a tough little spider! He's stayed there for weeks now, I just can't bring myself to move him, since he's been everywhere I go for weeks now! He's my driving buddy. :smirk:

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
:laugh: His name is Hank :laugh:

Sure go ahead and name the spiders... my suggestions -

Bruce - Robert "the Bruce", King of Scotland in the 14th century, who watched and learned the value of perseverance from a spider repeatedly climbing up again after being knocked down, has become a part of the world's folklore

Arachne - a young maiden who challenged the goddess Athena to a weaving contest and was turned into a spider for her presumption

Charlotte - "little and womanly"

But if it was my porch... :bolt:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys are too funny... :laugh: :laugh:

Naderbug..I could just see that spider sitting there with a map being your little navigator...LOL

Jerseygirl....I tried, they wanted to pay in dead bugs and I just had to refuse....LOL

·
Registered
586 Posts
Spider in my daughter's bed

One night when my daughter was about 4 years old, she cried and cried that there was a spider in her bed. Each time I went in and pulled the blankets down and searched and each time I told her there was no spider and that she was having a bad dream and to go back to bed. Well the next morning, I was making the bed and I found the biggest, blackest spider that I have ever seen. I felt so bad! Here I was telling her that it wasn't there and all the while it was crawling all over her. It never bit her and I think it was just a regular old spider but It really scared the life out of me never mind my poor little 4 year old I felt like the worst mother. She still talks about it and she is 14.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
we just killed a widow that was hanging out with my bunny. :eek: they give me the willies. spiders, not bunnies. those and scorpions freak me out.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nancy, That would be scary. I can imagine. Fortunately nothing came of it and you got rid of the spider.
Missy, oh my! I wouldn't like a black widow either.
Well, I was just on the porch and it look like Shemp has now moved in. I take their webs down during the day and they put them back up at night. If I could charge rent I'd be rich! So, now we have Moe, Larry, Curly, CurlyJoe, and Shemp....I am running out of names......I may have to resort to something else.....kinda hate to do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts